“High End with Amazing food and service”
Review of Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - CLOSED

Doc Magrogan's Oyster House
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shoppes at Montage
Description: We developed our classic 1900's Oyster House as a way to pay tribute and homage to the great tradition of enjoying oysters, these little aphrodisiacs. We have spared no expense to create an Oyster House that transforms you back to a simpler time of food, fun, and merriment, in a local watering hole. It is our joy to serve you the freshest seafood, the finest handcrafted beers, and a superior wine selection!
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The servers were so friendly and so helpful. Since they have a lot of specials they explained how the menu works and what their specialties are. They made something special for my daughter. The meal was well paced and the food was delicious. The staff was second to none. For what you get, it is very reasonable too for fresh seafood. I highly recommend.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Went here on a business trip, so that is my disclaimer to why I went to a oyster house and I do not eat seafood. Very slim pickings for someone who does not want seafood. The food overall was good, and everyone was happy with their selections.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stopped in for a light lunch. Surprised to find not much in the way of things a diabetic might want to have for lunch, we avoided the sandwiches because of the carbs in the bread and ordered a bowl of soup each and a calamari (squid) appetizer. Calamari is not an expensive item, so when the appetizer arrived with more battered and deep fried hot pepper rings than squid, we were a bit puzzled. It was good, but the thousand island dressing could be done without, marinara or cocktail sauce would have been more traditional and expected. The clam chowder was thick, pasty and definitely pre-packaged. The waitstaff was professional although one waitress ran the electric sweeper while we were finishing our meal. We were overcharged for the Calamari by a dollar, but we did not dispute the bill for such a small amount, thinking maybe the menu had needed to be updated. The soup was ample size and my family member enjoyed the Maryland Crab soup with no complaint. They were attentive about the drinks and refilling and they use quality Vermont made Westminster Oyster Crackers, and the bread before the meal was warm and unexpected. It is a very nice restaurant, well decorated and we had been in the same building when it was an Irish pub. The decor is suitable for a date or special occasion. The prices are a bit high, and the choice a bit limited, except in the oysters. We stopped in at an odd hour and the place was not busy. Their $14 dollars a pound lobster boil does not sound that bad for this area, and I might be convinced to try that if I am pining for lobster on a Tuesday night. They also have an early dinner menu which is price fixed and includes dessert. It seemed very reasonable, but we were not that hungry and at 2:30 pm were stuck at an odd late lunch and too early for dinner hour. The bartender was helpful and friendly and the waitstaff was professional, the place was mainly empty. The location is nice near Montage mountain, the shops and PNC field. It really could use simple lighter fare choices. It is decent seafood for the area, but I grew up in fishing village in Massachusetts, so I can tell if something is from a frozen pre-packaged Cisco type provider. I have had better calamari at Chinese and Italian restaurants.

This place specializes in Oysters, I next time will have that. In that Cooper's has really disappointed the few times we went, and that we are so inland, this might be a good bet for seafood in Moosic. However, we will not go out of our way to return. The price fixed menu and a movie might make a good date night. I would think also fine for business lunch.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

While we are regulars at Doc's because my hubby enjoys the selection of oysters, I must comment on the noise levels at this establishment. The noise is so bad, that it actually causes us to become very stressed out during our meal. Added to that, we typically have 2-3 individuals stopping at our table asking how our meal is. This constant disruption in our meal is very unappealing. A little common sense is necessary. Please do something about the noise levels and stop disrupting the guests every five minutes during their meals. One server checking on you is ample... As for main courses, I would like to see more of a selection overall, especially regarding broiled seafood options. Even better, it would be great if guests could select 2-3 items from menu to make up a broiled dish. Tonight, we had surf & turf and meal was alright, but not overly tasty. Unsure if we will be back again...

Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Have dined here a few times and it definitely merits a review. The food is always excellent as is the service. There are plenty of both fish and meat choices so one won't be disappointed. Don't miss out as it's one of the best in the area.