“Nice place but smaller than expected.”

TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Moosic
Reviewed April 1, 2013

OK - first the good - the Towne Place Suites hotel is fairly new, clean and seems well run. It is conveniently located at the Montage Mountain, area but I would NOT say the base of Montage mountain as that term is a misnomer, get to that later!

My compliaint is that compared to Residence Inns that we usually stay at, the place is a little small, even for us as a family of three and not physically large either. We booked a 2 room suite and were quite pleased but the living area was small along with the bedrooms. Usually in a Residence Inn there are 2 bathrooms in a 2 bedroom unit and the one bathroom was..you guessed it...small. The pool...right nice but small.

The breakfast bar was also a little skimpy, I was expected usually freshed scrambled eggs maybe some fresh fruit but none to be had. Just microwaveable breakfast sandwiches, waffle maker with bread, prepackaged yogurt and cereals. Not bad, but again I was expecting a little more.

I do not think they had any in-room movies to rent either.

Getting back to the location - it was convenient to all the shopping and restuarants but looking at the ski area from hotel, it seems like you could almost walk to it, but as I found out, you have to drive back down the hill to Montage Mt Road and then take about a 10 minute ride up and around the side of the mountain. Now the area was closed for the season but that is something to keep in mind for next ski season. I am not sure if the hotel operates a shuttle to the ski area but that would seem like good idea.

In summary it is nice, clean and new If you can deal with a smaller version of a Residence Inn with the small breakfast, then I would recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are happy that you were pleased with the location. To answer your question .. yes, we do provide a shuttle service to and from the ski resort. We hope that chose to stay with us again!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at the TownePlace to meet up with friends. The hotel is a short drive off I-81. It is located near numerous restaurants, shops and a movie theater. It is a short drive from Montage Mountain. It appears you can walk to the Scranton RailRunners ballpark.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The rate was reasonable. The room was excellent. There was adequate space for 4 adults. All rooms were clean and all facilities worked as expected. The small kitchenette was a nice bonus. The room was well maintained. The beds were very comfortable. Check in and check out was simple and all the staff we met during our stay were polite, friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and I am looking forward to returning during baseball season.

Room Tip: If traveling with 4 or more I would definitely recommend the 2 bedroom suite. The rate is quite rea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Echoman
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

We appreciate your kind feedback! Baseball season starts in just a few short weeks, so we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We used this as out mid-way stopping point on our weekend trip from the Finger Lakes. I booked the TownePlace since I had some Marriott points to "burn" and when I stay at these properties the rooms are usually fairly spacious with a King bed and sleeper sofa, which is what I booked. When we got there we were more than a little disappointed in the room size. When we folded out the sofa you could no longer walk past to get in bed and when we opened the portable crib there was almost no room left. To call this room a "suite" was really a not fair. In fact it was a lot smaller than many of the regular hotel rooms I typically stay in. The room worked for us, but it wasn't as comfortable as it could've been. If it was for more than a night I think we would have asked for a different room. The kids did enjoy the indoor pool, although it was not very big either.

Room Tip: Manage your expectations for a suite, you may want to call and see if the bed and sofa bed will meet...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I do apologize that the studio suite did not have adequate space for you. I would love for you to come back again and try one of our larger suites. Please give us a second try on your next trip to our area!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We are snowbirds and we stayed here as we got caught in a snow storm. As we have a small Maltese we had to find a pet friendly hotel. We have been fairly frequent customers for the Marriott chain. When we advised them that we had a small pet , we were shocked to be charged $50.00 extra. Couldn't believe it. I can understand extra but this is abusive. As we were stuck in a storm, we accepted.
When we told all our snowbird friends, several told us that they had paid between $15 to $25.
Have contacted the hotel, they advised me that special cleaning was done after check out because of pets. Funny though that I had to complain about hairs in the bath. Quess too much attention for "special cleaning process". Other hotels that charge less must be terrible about cleaning but I will definitely be using them from now on. SHAME ON YOU MARRIOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vivmercier

Here at the TownePlace Suites we are happy to accept pets as our guests too! However, as you stated above, a more in-depth cleaning process is involved. This process is to ensure that the next guest can not tell that there was a pet in the room. We want each guest to feel that they are the first to stay there.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I don't get to Scranton very often, but I stay at a LOT of hotels and a Marriott is my preference and I have a zillion rewards points. This is a relatively new motel that I tried on recommendation from an Attorney I've been working with. So it's new and nice. Keep in mind it's a towne place and not a higher end Marriott, but the room was nice, I took advantage of the exercise room as did other guests while I was there, and the staff was helpful. About the only thing I was dissappointed in was breakfast, but it wasn't bad and I kinda figured that they were doing what they could. It was similar to what you'd see at a Fairfield with cereal, yogurt, etc. Anyway, overall it was a very good experience. Thanks!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We greatly appreciate your feedback. We hope that you choose the TownePlace Suites on your next visit to the Scranton area!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family of 4 stayed in the hotel in December, just before Christmas time.It is well maintained, nice exterior and interior, clean. I did not use the gym, but pool and hot tub were very nice. In the room all in working condition, enough of pots, good dishwasher, clean kitchen area and shelves, clean fridge, a very nice bathroom with spacious closet. I liked the area very much- it is very close to the mountain, to the park with kids' playgrounds and shopping area. Some details I'd like to share:
1. Photos on the website Do NOt reflect the reality. I stayed in a King Studio and it is NOT specious at all. I barelly squeezed with two toddlers. When the sofabed is opened it is so close to a King bed that there is no walking space in between two. And the room is listed up to 4 people (assuming the adults). There is only ONE chair , no eating area, and actually no sitting area. This room is no more than for 2+ (family of three with the baby or toddler).
2. Housekeepping and its schedule. One day when we came back at 1:05PM our room was not yet cleaned. I asked to clean it ASAP because with two toddlers I needed it clean before lunch and before my kids would be taking a nap, which is right after lunch. After sitting in a lobby for 25 min. no one even started working in the room. So I had to remind it again. After being in the lobby for a total of 1hr. 15 min I was able to come to my room. I asked management not to overlook this issue for the rest of my staying. So the next morning they decided to make cleaning at 9:20AM when I was in the shower. Imagine my surprise when I stepped out from the shower all wet and saw a housekeeping lady in my room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review out hotel. After hearing of the issues you had, I communicated them with each relevant department. We strive to meet every guest need, so the cleaning schedule is something we will be cautious of in the future. We hope that you choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We are from the Poconos and stayed here during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. We lost power during the Storm and with all the damage to the power lines we knew we would not have Power for a long time. We called about 40 hotels in the Poconos, Allentown and Bethlehem area but none of them had rooms available and if they did there were no pets allowed. We were disappointed and all about to give up when we decided that the call to TownePlace Suites would be our last one. To our surprise a very pleasant voice greeted us from reservations and let us know that there were rooms available and that pets were allowed. We immediately reserved our room and drove an hour to the hotel. The hotel has excellent facilities. The rooms are Great with kitchenettes that have stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops.

While we were checking in we also learned that all Hotel rooms of the Marriott Group of hotels are non-smoking. We would like to applaud and thank the Marriott Group for this.

We stayed here for 3 nights. Thanks for making our very frustrating experience during Hurricane Sandy into a very positive one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PoconosPoconos
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are glad that we were able to accomodate you during this time. If you are ever in the area again, we would be pleased to have you and your furry friends as our guests!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Moosic
SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
#4 of 10 in Scranton
Residence Inn Scranton
Residence Inn Scranton
#6 of 10 in Scranton

Been to TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre? Share your experiences!