“TownPlace in Moosic/Scranton”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Moosic
Mt Laurel, NJ
“TownPlace in Moosic/Scranton”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at the TownePlace to meet up with friends. The hotel is a short drive off I-81. It is located near numerous restaurants, shops and a movie theater. It is a short drive from Montage Mountain. It appears you can walk to the Scranton RailRunners ballpark.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The rate was reasonable. The room was excellent. There was adequate space for 4 adults. All rooms were clean and all facilities worked as expected. The small kitchenette was a nice bonus. The room was well maintained. The beds were very comfortable. Check in and check out was simple and all the staff we met during our stay were polite, friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and I am looking forward to returning during baseball season.

Room Tip: If traveling with 4 or more I would definitely recommend the 2 bedroom suite. The rate is quite rea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Echoman
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
We appreciate your kind feedback! Baseball season starts in just a few short weeks, so we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Millville, New Jersey
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We used this as out mid-way stopping point on our weekend trip from the Finger Lakes. I booked the TownePlace since I had some Marriott points to "burn" and when I stay at these properties the rooms are usually fairly spacious with a King bed and sleeper sofa, which is what I booked. When we got there we were more than a little disappointed in the room size. When we folded out the sofa you could no longer walk past to get in bed and when we opened the portable crib there was almost no room left. To call this room a "suite" was really a not fair. In fact it was a lot smaller than many of the regular hotel rooms I typically stay in. The room worked for us, but it wasn't as comfortable as it could've been. If it was for more than a night I think we would have asked for a different room. The kids did enjoy the indoor pool, although it was not very big either.

Room Tip: Manage your expectations for a suite, you may want to call and see if the bed and sofa bed will meet...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I do apologize that the studio suite did not have adequate space for you. I would love for you to come back again and try one of our larger suites. Please give us a second try on your next trip to our area!
mercier
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We are snowbirds and we stayed here as we got caught in a snow storm. As we have a small Maltese we had to find a pet friendly hotel. We have been fairly frequent customers for the Marriott chain. When we advised them that we had a small pet , we were shocked to be charged $50.00 extra. Couldn't believe it. I can understand extra but this is abusive. As we were stuck in a storm, we accepted.
When we told all our snowbird friends, several told us that they had paid between $15 to $25.
Have contacted the hotel, they advised me that special cleaning was done after check out because of pets. Funny though that I had to complain about hairs in the bath. Quess too much attention for "special cleaning process". Other hotels that charge less must be terrible about cleaning but I will definitely be using them from now on. SHAME ON YOU MARRIOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vivmercier
Here at the TownePlace Suites we are happy to accept pets as our guests too! However, as you stated above, a more in-depth cleaning process is involved. This process is to ensure that the next guest can not tell that there was a pet in the room. We want each guest to feel that they are the first to stay there.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I don't get to Scranton very often, but I stay at a LOT of hotels and a Marriott is my preference and I have a zillion rewards points. This is a relatively new motel that I tried on recommendation from an Attorney I've been working with. So it's new and nice. Keep in mind it's a towne place and not a higher end Marriott, but the room was nice, I took advantage of the exercise room as did other guests while I was there, and the staff was helpful. About the only thing I was dissappointed in was breakfast, but it wasn't bad and I kinda figured that they were doing what they could. It was similar to what you'd see at a Fairfield with cereal, yogurt, etc. Anyway, overall it was a very good experience. Thanks!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We greatly appreciate your feedback. We hope that you choose the TownePlace Suites on your next visit to the Scranton area!
New York
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My family of 4 stayed in the hotel in December, just before Christmas time.It is well maintained, nice exterior and interior, clean. I did not use the gym, but pool and hot tub were very nice. In the room all in working condition, enough of pots, good dishwasher, clean kitchen area and shelves, clean fridge, a very nice bathroom with spacious closet. I liked the area very much- it is very close to the mountain, to the park with kids' playgrounds and shopping area. Some details I'd like to share:
1. Photos on the website Do NOt reflect the reality. I stayed in a King Studio and it is NOT specious at all. I barelly squeezed with two toddlers. When the sofabed is opened it is so close to a King bed that there is no walking space in between two. And the room is listed up to 4 people (assuming the adults). There is only ONE chair , no eating area, and actually no sitting area. This room is no more than for 2+ (family of three with the baby or toddler).
2. Housekeepping and its schedule. One day when we came back at 1:05PM our room was not yet cleaned. I asked to clean it ASAP because with two toddlers I needed it clean before lunch and before my kids would be taking a nap, which is right after lunch. After sitting in a lobby for 25 min. no one even started working in the room. So I had to remind it again. After being in the lobby for a total of 1hr. 15 min I was able to come to my room. I asked management not to overlook this issue for the rest of my staying. So the next morning they decided to make cleaning at 9:20AM when I was in the shower. Imagine my surprise when I stepped out from the shower all wet and saw a housekeeping lady in my room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review out hotel. After hearing of the issues you had, I communicated them with each relevant department. We strive to meet every guest need, so the cleaning schedule is something we will be cautious of in the future. We hope that you choose to stay with us again!
poconos
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We are from the Poconos and stayed here during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. We lost power during the Storm and with all the damage to the power lines we knew we would not have Power for a long time. We called about 40 hotels in the Poconos, Allentown and Bethlehem area but none of them had rooms available and if they did there were no pets allowed. We were disappointed and all about to give up when we decided that the call to TownePlace Suites would be our last one. To our surprise a very pleasant voice greeted us from reservations and let us know that there were rooms available and that pets were allowed. We immediately reserved our room and drove an hour to the hotel. The hotel has excellent facilities. The rooms are Great with kitchenettes that have stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops.

While we were checking in we also learned that all Hotel rooms of the Marriott Group of hotels are non-smoking. We would like to applaud and thank the Marriott Group for this.

We stayed here for 3 nights. Thanks for making our very frustrating experience during Hurricane Sandy into a very positive one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PoconosPoconos
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are glad that we were able to accomodate you during this time. If you are ever in the area again, we would be pleased to have you and your furry friends as our guests!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our family had booked this hotel as a halfway point to stop off from a road trip visiting family on our way home. We were scheduled to arrive around dinner time and have a nice dinner nearby (as it's surrounded by a number of restaurants) and get our small children settled in so we could have a good night's rest before heading home the next day. Unfortunately we were detained by a serious backup on I-84 in which we arrived almost two hours later than we expected. It also took a while to find the place because it's not exactly right off the highway as it appears to be and is in a very awkward area where the streets twist and wind around so it's difficult to find a road that actually leads to the hotel. We ended up driving in several parking lots before we found our way. We were all hungry, tired and frustrated that we were rushed to get in to bed in order to get our early start the next day.

Check in went fine. Our room was ready. We got our keys and got everyone up to the room. The room was lovely. A full kitchen with dishes, refrigerator, microwave, stove top and dishwasher. Granite counter tops in the kitchen and bathroom. A great computer desk was in the living area for the working executives, I began getting my children ready for bed by giving them baths. Only problem was I didn't enough towels. When I made my reservation I indicated that there were two adults and two children. I got 1 washcloth, 2 hand towels and 4 towels. How is one washclost going to handle four people? The baths get finished and I go to put my children to bed in the sleeper sofa and all that sits there is a naked mattress. There are no linens on the bed. I look in the front hall closet and there's nothing in there. I called housekeeping and the front desk girl answered the phone. I indicated that the bed had not been made and I can find no linens in the room. She indicated that the linens should be in the bathroom closet, not the hall closet, and that they don't make up the sleeper sofas. REALLY? I come to a hotel with four guests and I HAVE TO make up the beds myself? Unacceptable. I proceeded to make the bed, since they certainly were not going to, and it was extremely difficult as when the sleeper sofa was pulled out it came right to the edge of the king bed. There was no room to walk between them so going from side to side to tuck in the sheets etc you either had to crawl on the beds themselves or lift the sleeper sofa enough to get around it. Again....unacceptable.

In trying to organize our luggage I realized there was no luggage rack in the room to place it on. There was a hall closet near the front door but I don't know what you'd use it for as there were no hangers in it, or luggage rack either.I attempted to put our cooler items in the refrigerator to keep until the next day but found the brand new refrigerator was not on. Come to find out after pulling the frig out from the wall the hotel didn't even it have it plugged in. REALLY? Unacceptable. I tried to take some medicine before bed and was in the bathroom, no cups of any kind to drink out of.

Once we finally got everyone in bed there were some people in the floor above us that just entered their room. I'm not sure of the size of the individuals but it sounded like they weighed 400lbs by the way the ceiling was creaking and how we heard EVERY foot step that every person in that room took all over their room. The room, 226, didn't sound very sound proof in my opinion.

The next morning we had the continental breakfast. The usual fare to most places. The eating area was quite minimalistic as far as furniture goes so don't be looking for any kind of "luxury" feel. There was no chocolate milk for the kids. The regular coffee was awful. The food offerings were decent but not a huge spread by comparison to other places we have stayed in the Marriott family.

I don't think I'm being picky when I think that when I check in to a hotel that I should have enough bath towels for everyone, SHOULD NOT HAVE TO MAKE MY OWN BED and have cups in the bathroom. While the full kitchen was not a feature I expected in our room not having a working refrigerator kind of made it pointless to have since it was not usable. The hotel was nice and clean but it's awkward location and the minimums not being met made it a big turn off for me. A couple of other things to mention in the bathroom: the toilet paper holder is so low on the vanity that when you're seated it's kind of hard to get the tissue off. The sink was set so far from the edge of the vanity it was difficult for my daughter to brush her teeth as she was over the counter and not over the sink. The beds being butted together was extremely poor planning as you couldn't get around them. People are going to get up in the middle of the night and not having that space available is dangerous, especially if there were an emergency. While there was nothing really "wrong" with this hotel it didn't meet our expectations and we most likely will not be back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TheRealComputerGuy
SWBGeneralManager, Front Office Manager at TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Here at the TownePlace Suites we do our best to anticipate every guest's needs. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet yours. I have communicated your thoughts to each relevant department. We do appreciate feedback, as that is how we improve! I would like for you to give us another try the next time you are passing through our area. We do offer larger suites, maybe one of those would accommodate your family better. Please feel free to contact management, we would be happy to assist you in making a reservation or with any other matter.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moosic
SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton

Been to TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre? Share your experiences!