“Adequate hotel for one night”

Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Moosic
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Adequate hotel for one night”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this Courtyard this past Friday night. I would categorize this as an "average" Courtyard, with an updated lobby that includes the Bistro for light meals.
Our check in went fairly smoothly, although the desk clerk at first could not find our reservation. I presented her with my printed confirmation and she then managed to locate our booking.
Our room was on the front side of the property, nearly over the main entrance, and had a very odd configuration, with a long hallway, bathroom tucked in on the right, then the room itself, which seemed very small for the amount of furniture in it. We had a king bed, which was very comfortable. The room as had a sofa, a computer desk, a low dresser and a refrigerator/microwave. If you look at my pictures, you will see that the refrigerator/microwave seemed like an afterthought and created a tight passage from the hall into the room. It even sat right in front of a picture on the wall. Very weird.
The room did have a Juliet balcony, which would have been nice with a pair of chairs, but alas there were none. But at least the sliding door opened and there was a screen door, so it afforded some nice fresh air into the room.
There seemed to be some sort of large family event going on at the hotel, as there was a nice patio out back with comfy looking seating and a gas fire pit. But the family group had claimed it as their own, even ordering pizzas and beers and eating out there. Took the entire space for themselves, so we didn't dare even attempt to go out there. They also laid claim to the rather small pool. Or should I say their unaccompanied children did, and were jumping in and out of the pool and hot tub in an attempt to soak everything within 20 feet of them.
Oh, and the ballpark is right next door. The night we were there, they had fireworks at 10:30pm after the game. I swear, they launched them right over the hotel. They were the loudest fireworks I have ever heard and it literally shook the room. Check the ball schedule if you have little ones who are scared of loud noises!
So this property, in my opinion, gets a "3" because it was adequately average.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 334. Strange configuration.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DelcoMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lockport, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2014

After reading a recent review about someone having their reservation cancelled by the hotel for the same weekend I have reservations, I decided to call and confirm my booking....and was told mine has been cancelled too!! I made a 3 night reservation for 2 couples back in December of 2013 for a stay in August 2014!!! The clerk stated that "calls were made 2 weeks ago" to inform us of the cancellation, but I never received a call. Apparently some major overbooking occurred and to clean up their mess, they just cancelled over 50 reservations! And didn't make any attempt to speak directly to the people affected, or offer any solutions!! Terrible customer service. I left a long voicemail for the manager, who "surprisingly" has never returned my call. Really upsetting. We were able to find another hotel, but it is further away and inconvenient for the event we are going to. Totally disgusted with this hotel!! STAY AWAY!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mkkirk1
Mertztown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We were here 2 nights for a convention in nearby Wilkes-Barre and found it to be very adequate! The room was very nice and clean and the king bed was very comfortable. It is a hotel in a lovely wooded location. The only thing that was not functioning properly was our refrigerator in our room, which barely kept things cold. We never used the Bistro for breakfast choosing to go somewhere else, so I can't comment on that. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and I would stay there again and I would recommend it to someone else.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We were in town for a family event, and had multiple family members in multiple rooms. The rooms are fairly standard -- clean & comfortable, standard for a Marriott Courtyard. I don't particularly care for the "Bistro" breakfast; the food is good, but gets a bit expensive and is more convenient for a family with kids to have the included breakfast buffet. The real standout at this hotel is the staff - very warm & friendly.

Tafton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I just received a voicemail two days ago stating my reservation for August that I made in January is being changed to a hotel in Wilkes Barre. This reservation was made for the Peach Music Fest. Staying in Wilkes Barre is no way equal to staying at this location. The manager refused to correct my reservation to remain in the room I booked. I was also told 56 reservations were moved to Wilkes Barre. IF YOU NEED A RESERVATION IN MOOSIC I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU MAKE IT AT ONE OF THE OTHER HOTELS AT MONTAGE MOUNTAIN. WHAT HOTEL MAKES 56 Overbooked reservations. The staff and manager don't care. Could not get a response from the manager until I contacted customer care. Still waiting for a solution!

Room Tip: Make a reservation at a reliable hotel if you don't want the hotel to decide what city you stay...
5 Thank Annette S
Islamorada, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2014

After a long day of driving on this road trip, we were all really looking forward to a comfortable night. Another disappointment.
After checking in and checking the beds, we donned swimsuits and headed to the extremely small swimming pool. The pool water was pretty cold but thankfully the hot tub was warm and actually working! The pool is small and the water here was strange also - but that didn't deter the huge number of seemingly unsupervised children who were doing their best to splash all of the water out of the pool. To complement the size of the pool, the towels were also small. When I first walked in I could find no towels. I called the front desk and the lady said she was on her way down with some. When she arrived with a stack of about ten, I grabbed three for my family. Another man was in there watching his kids and he told me that he had been bringing towels down from his room. There had been a shortage of pool towels during his stay and the towels they brought down were small. When I unfolded one of the ones I had brought down, I could only laugh. It was smaller than the bath mat up in the room.
And then the room. The beds were just double beds rather than queen size and were again very hard but at least clean. The room itself was clean, but the bathroom had stains on the ceiling from poor installation of the wallpaper? Maybe.
Breakfast was included with the price of our room, along with a choice of one drink. If I wanted juice with my coffee it was extra. We placed the order at the counter and then took seats where they would bring the food to us. Ants crawled up my son's leg while we waited for the food to arrive. Had it been more than two we probably would have given up and headed to a fast food restaurant. Back in the room I was able to fix a cup of tea utilizing the one tea bag which was provided. I understand that most people want coffee but it's irritating when only one tea bag is provided - it isn't that expensive.
Overall, the Courtyard is my least favorite amongst Marriott's chain of hotels. When we first pulled up I thought we were in for a treat. This particular hotel is nestled amongst trees and has beautiful landscaping and a fire-pit with seating around it in the back. Unfortunately, the inside didn't go with the outside at all!

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Tired...the only adjective needed to describe this place. I only stayed at this hotel for one night, luckily. I travel a lot for work and I've seen a lot of hotels. This one falls below the mark for the following reasons: visible mold along the top of the wallpaper in the bathroom; food crumbs left all over the carpet; hairs everywhere; treadmill that isn't safe. I don't know how old this place is but they need to do some major updates. On the plus side, it is quiet and in a great area.

Stayed July 2014
jrock3, General Manager at Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here on Tripadvisor. I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for the frustrations that you were faced with during your stay. I can assure you that these issues are not something that I take lightly, and I will be sure to share this with my staff. I would be interesting in speaking with you, so please do not hesitate to reach out to me. Thank you for your business.

Jeremy Rockmaker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moosic
SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton
TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton

Been to Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre? Share your experiences!