“Very good experience at airport hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Moon Township
Boston
“Very good experience at airport hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

As described in the name, the hotel is near the airport, although it takes about 15 mins to get there (8 miles by car). Given the nondescript location, it is a nice hotel with large, comfortable rooms. I had a double room with two queen beds -- very comfortable. Amenities were nice; Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, large HD tv, coffee maker, etc. Bathroom was adequate, kind of small bath tub but not a big deal. Free wifi, free shuttle to/from the airport, free parking, coffee in the lobby in the morning and the NYT and a yummy warm oatmeal chocolate chip cookie at check-in.

There is a restaurant on site and while I did not eat there, I heard the food is excellent. I was attending a conference at the hotel, and the buffet lunches were great! The hotel is not situated well for pedestrians (a busy street with no sidewalks) so be prepared for that.

The pool is the typical hotel size, but the whirlpool is huge, the temp just right and there is a bathroom with shower right there. The fitness room is small with 3 machines so make sure you get there early or non-peak hours.

There are many comfortable places to gather, both in and outside the hotel. Any service requests I had were promptly dealt with. Overall, very good experience at an airport hotel.

Room Tip: Due to the location of the hotel being near the airport, request a room on a higher floor so you see...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
jcarl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are so glad that you found the rooms comfortable and the amenities complete. We will pass on your compliments to our chef and staff. We really do feel that our food is something special and hope that you will return and try our Jacksons Restaurant.
Again, thank you for the kind comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

When I pay +/- $200 for a room, I expect something special. This is not. Yes, as another reviewer said, the rooms are noisy. I could hear every word spoken in the next room! In the rooms in the back you have airport noise and in the front there is road noise due to the slight hill. It is convenient to the airport, that is the only reason for staying there. No room upgrade for Hilton Diamond and the Hilton Honors breakfast is written in the coupon as "continental" but they have Hilton Honors breakfasts on the menu that include eggs, etc. Dinner was not great, and the first wine-by-the-glass must have been opened too long. They took it back and replaced it and admitted it smelled "off". Best part of the meal was the flatbread. Neither printer had black ink in the business center but they graciously printed a long document for me at the front desk.

Room Tip: Front is away from the airport but there is some road noise and HVAC units.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
jcarl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We’re very sorry your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual high standards. We’ve addressed the problems you mentioned with your dinner with our culinary team and we will work harder to ensure the highest quality standards moving forward. We apologize for the noise disturbance from traffic and the nearby airport, we know how important a good night’s rest is while traveling and we regret this was not your experience. Thank you for alerting us to these issues, and we hope you’ll give us another chance to show you the quality stay you expect and deserve if you return to our area.

Jillian Kautzman
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife and I had our wedding at the airport Doubletree on July 20th. From the moment we began to work with our wedding coordinator Dawn and the rest of the staff, everything was taken care of in a professional, friendly manner! Throughout the entire wedding weekend, including the rehearsal dinner, ceremony and reception, the staff were all extremely helpful and professional. The food was great from Jackson's next door and everything went great at the Doubletree. We had dozens of rooms booked for our group for the weekend, and everyone we talked to loved the rooms as well. My grandmother-in-law even needed something specific for her room and it was delivered extremely quickly, and other requests were handled quickly and efficiently as well. I wish I could name other staff members because so many were excellent, but needless to say the staff at Doubletree and Jackson's were very impressive, and I will certainly be recommending them to anyone looking to do a wedding ceremony and/or reception in Pittsburgh! Thanks so much guys from Tanner and Amy:)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tjmoney44
jcarl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for letting us be a part of your special day! We are thrilled that everything went smoothly and we will pass on your comments to our staff. We look forward to seeing you again and hope that you will think of us fondly when you remember your wedding day.
Brooksville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was a very great hotel to stay for the night. Because we had children in tow, the friendly desk clerk gave us a handicap accessible room that provided a little extra room for the family. We requested more towels and a uniformed attendant came promptly with them. We also asked for the more towels in the pool area and for the door to the pool to be corrected (it was jammed). Once again, the staff quickly and politely responded. We had spacious bathroom with a roll-in shower. The 2 queen beds were very comfortable and inviting. We had use of the WiFi internet access with no problems and the kids loved swimming in the pool. At check in, we were given 4 large and delicious chocolate chip cookies to enjoy. There is an up-scale restaurant with room service until 10pm on-site. There is also a small area where you can purchase some snacks, drinks, toiletries, playing cards, etc in the lobby. The only downside was that a large piece of equipment on the roof of the building below blocked the view from the window. We weren't there for the view, so this did not bother us. This was one of the best hotel experiences we have had. We have paid this and more for MUCH lower quality hotels. We would most definitly stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

The hotel staff- especially management was incredibly impolite and unprofessional. We attended a wedding at the hotel and booked a room for the stay. The bath tub was pealing and the conduct of the staff at the wedding was embarassing

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank HotelGuest405
Medina, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

Unless you would like to be kept awake all night, I would suggest the following: They are VERY aware of thier problem and were NOT surprised at all when I called to freak out at 6:45 am. We checked into room #516, which is smack in the center of the hotel on the 5th floor. If you listen carefully, you can hear cracking/ popping noises even during the day. However, at night, imagine: constant clatter sounding like sheet metal waving in the wind, coming from your cieling, walls and heating unit. This gets louder as the hotel grows more quiet for the night.

When I called the next morning to vent my frustrations, I asked to speak to the General Manager of the hotel. I was told 'he's not able to be located, but you are free to speak with our front desk manager.' While this lady was nice, and offered to move us to a 'much quieter room that doesn't seem to have these issues', I have two problems with this:
1) You must have known my room has this problem BEFORE you checked me in. Admitting that to me did NOT make me feel any better..... newsflash.
2) No offer was made to comp my room, reduce my rate or even give me a coupon for a cocktail in the bar!! Nothing, nada....zero. Just 'I'm sorry you didn't get any sleep the night before.' Lastly: the manager informed me that they are indeed aware the 5th floor is the worst, and unless they spend major dollars to renovate the old steam heating system in the hotel, it can't be fixed.....well, you're going to lose a lot of guests this way: people like myself that will not return. Maybe then the hotel will invest the necessary capital dollars to correct an unacceptable situation.

We stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to my daughter's dance competition that weekend. Let's just say that I will seek out the nearest Marriott for my next stay to Moon Township.....No thank you.

Room Tip: avoid the 5th floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lynda N
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night and enjoyed it. The complimentary chocolate chip cookie on arrival was a nice touch. Room was spacious, bed was comfortable, bathroom was clean. The A/C unit was slightly noisy but not distracting. The indoor pool and whirlpool were small, but heated and comfortable. Staff was friendly and location was good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtyard Pittsburgh Airport
#2 of 12 in Coraopolis
Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport
Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport Hotel

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport? Share your experiences!