“Attention to Detail Lacking”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Moon Township
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I have stayed at this Doubletree property in the past and have had mixed results. This stay was disappointing and did not meet my expectations as a Hilton HHonors Gold member.

This hotel is showing its age and has seen better days. The lobby is dark with dated furniture. The check-in staff was not overly friendly and did not provide the breakfast coupons to which I was entitled as a HHonors Gold member that I receive at other Doubletree properties and is cited as one of the benefits of a Gold member at a Doubletree property.

On the plus, side the room was fairly comfortable, but again, has seen better days. The carpet was spotted throughout and the king-bedded room lacked an ottoman for the sitting chair. The bathroom was very cramped and the bathtub caulking was in desperate need of repair. In addition, they painted the bathtub and it was chipping. As noted by another review, one of the elevators (still) does not work and, apparently, is frequently out of service according to a staff member. WiFi Internet service was very slow. TV channel selection was somewhat limited and lacked HD channels.

Jackson’s is the on-site hotel restaurant. On this trip, I found the service to be slow and inefficient. One nice perk is that the booth seating has small televisions on the table. However, when I went to turn the channel I saw all sorts of cobwebs by the channel control buttons. The glassware was dirty, with a piece of dried lettuce on the bottom of the glass. My food arrived lukewarm and not fully cooked and getting the server's attention for a refill was almost impossible until she brought the check to my table.

The hotel is about a 15 minute drive to the airport. While the hotel offers a shuttle running to/from the airport, be advised it can take a while for the shuttle to pick you up at the airport. I have waited upwards of 30 minutes at the airport during prior trips. There are a few restaurants around the hotel that are within walking distance, but do give the hotel restaurant a try as the food and service are typically good.

In all, this hotel can be hit or miss. Hopefully the hotel will receive some renovations in the near future to bring it on par with some of the newer Doubletree properties. At this point, I’d save a couple of dollars and stay at the Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn next door until the hotel is updated. Hilton HHonors members best look elsewhere for the service they come to expect at other Hilton properties.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Bill R
jcarl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on our property. We take these comments very seriously and can assure you we will be working to address these issues. Please feel free to contact me directly at 412-329-1314 to discuss this further.
Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport

Reviewed August 12, 2011

My family and I stayed here during a baseball tournament, although I expected that it would be more suited to business travelers I found it just good for us. I booked weeks in advance and had an excellent AAA rate through the online reservation tool.

The hotel is very clean and updated and the service was great. The beds were super comfortable and the room was very spacious even with four of us staying in a double room.

I am definitely going to look for Doubletree hotels whenever I have to travel!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
jcarl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about your experience. We are glad that we were able to accomodate you for your needs. We would love to have you stay with us again when you are in town!
Thanks again!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

The staff at this hotel was extremely helpful and attentive. I actually needed to change rooms since my reserved non-smoking room had a smoky smell and they switched me in a matter of minutes to a larger suite. Hotel is clean, but I noticed some of the fixtures in the bathroom were dated, tub needed an overhaul, etc. But overall good... Just a little higher priced for a more dated facility.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Pittsburgh Airport. We are glad to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and accomodating. We wanted to let you know that we will be making some changes in the near future to update the hotel and hope that you will return to see it soon!
Thank you again!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Been coming back to this hotel for a monthly 2 night stays for business meetings. Having stayed in a number of rooms the tv's are either nice 42" brand new or hopeless 32". Bedding is comfy as are all double trees. Pool/hottub is quite nice. Fitness is adequate, what you would expect. Meeting space is nice, staff is very good to excellent 90% of the time (stay anywhere enough you'll hit someone on a off day)

The fatal flaw? Lack of Internet. Been coming here since February and the service is meaningless and apparently no hope of it being fixed. If you connect it drops and is pathetically slow. For a business hotel this makes staying here a non-starter really. To make matters worse with everyone trying to connect via 3g that is slow too (att service in my case) It's sad because otherwise it's a solid place.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I recently stayed here as for a business trip that took me to the airport area. Hotel is fairly decent and for the most part lives up to the Doubletree standards. The beds were comfortable, the internet was relatively quick and the rooms large. I ate in the hotel's restaurant, Jacksons, for breakfast and some late afternoon bar food and found the quality to be good for the price (Especially the breakfast options on the Hilton HHonors Menu section). In the afternoon the service in the bar side of the restaurant was slow, not that I really cared since I did not have anywhere to go otherwise. However a few items to note about the hotel that were more on the negative side. One of the elevators was constantly out of service and the doors on the rooms slam shut (and quite loudly at that!). With that being said, if I were to return to the area for work, I'd consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
jcarl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed our restaurant! We strive to provide a dinning experience that is different than most hotel restaurants. Also, we appreciate your feedback regarding the negative experience with the doors and elevators. We did experience some issues with our elevator over that time period and it has since fixed. We are also currently in the process of fixing the noise caused by the doors and hope to have that eliminated very soon. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed July 24, 2011

stayed one night hoping to get a good nights sleep.........was going well until around 7 am when the cleaning staff made enough noise to wake an army. you know how when the cleaners want to get off early they slam all the doors on the floor to ensure you are awake and out of your room faster than if they showed some common sense and consideration and you actually weren't rudely awakened.
Otherwise, this is a very nice hotel with a good restaurant and front desk staff

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
jcarl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed our restaurant and the service provided by the front desk. I am so sorry you experienced loud noises in the morning. We will review proper procedures and timing with our staff to ensure that this does not occur. We value your feedback and will use it to strive to provide the best possible service all around. We hope you will join us again in the future.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Doubletree / Hilton invested a small bundle updating this ex-Ramada in 2006 and while the old bones still show it's now a well-appointed, well-run property, a good solid 3-star with a responsive, well-motivated staff.

Decor and lighting are new and superior. Rooms are large and feature the excellent new Sweet Dreams beds and flat-screen TVs. An advance email to the GM by an HHonors elite resulted in a gracious suite upgrade -- especially welcome as I was on the road with a buddy.

All the employees we encountered were friendly and outgoing -- the young lady at the reception desk took extra time to help us find a nice restaurant late on Sunday evening. There is not much going on in the immediate vicinity, but a large shopping / dining zone called Robinson Town Center is about eight minutes away by car.

Breakfast service is all to order, there was no buffet or grab-and-go option, but prepared quickly and well.

Pittsburgh doesn't have enough good hotels, especially in the central business district, so I'd make this my first choice when visiting the area. It is 20 to 30 minutes from downtown depending on traffic and the perpetual plug-up at the Fort Pitt Tunnel (it's not even particularly near the airport frankly -- on the far side of the airfield from the terminal, a good ten-minute ride), but it's a property that deserves credit for working hard to win and retain business. Give it a try.

Room Tip: High front-facing room avoids Dumpster noise.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
jcarl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are thrilled that you found our staff to be accomodating and your stay comfortable. We take pride in the fact that we are heavily used by our HHonors Diamond and Gold members and like to try to add special touches that make your stays exceptional. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Moon Township
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh - International Airport
La Quinta Inn Pittsburgh Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh Airport
Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport Hotel
Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport? Share your experiences!