“That was left a stinky present”

La Quinta Inn Pittsburgh Airport
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Moon Township
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We got in from the Pirates game at 12:45am on Saturday July 9. The first room, 233, we open the door, and its like someone crapped in every part of this room, and tried to cover it up with air freshener. I went back down stairs and was given the option of a smoking room ( no) or a king bed room. I got the king bed for 50 bucks ( our room was 80 originally), so that was good. Breakfast was the worst of Laquinta. No kids cereals, everything ran out even before 7am. Even though we are close to our 3rd night free, and having been staying at these hotels for months, I have finally told my husband no more vacations especially if it means staying at a Laquinta hotel. EVERY TIME we stay at one, the comforters smelled of pee, as well as the floor, the room had rusted walls, and terrible tubs. I am switching over to embassy suites, with more food, and a higher price, but at least the rooms will be clean.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 4, 2011

Since I was traveling via car with my dog in the Pittsburgh area, this airport hotel was one of my few options... and the $75 price was a plus. Let me say that I have not found nicer desk people anywhere, no matter what the price of the hotel. They helped me with my Internet, played with my dog, and were very gracious when I stupidly locked myself out. Also, the room appeared to be clean and did not smell. Those are the positives. Now the downsides. First, it took me 7 tries to unlock my door while balancing a dog on a leash, a crate, and various carry-things. When I was returning from the car, several people were outside smoking and told me I would learn to just leave my door propped open when I left the room because no one could figure out the card keys -- doing that made me a little nervous, but I did it, too. Then I found out that all three ice machines were broken (and was offered massive apologies). Then I found all kinds of warning signs outside in the doggy grasses about monetary fines if I did not clean up after my dog, but the hotel provided no "poop bags"... and I had already run out. The gracious clerk did provide me with a plastic laundry bag for that purpose, but it was a little awkward to use. If I travel with my beloved dog to that area again I may need to stay there, but I am tempted to board her at home and look for a Hyatt Place or Hampton Inn... and, of course, spend twice as much money (3 times, if you count the kennel).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank JanythW
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Good experience. Don't know what the fuss is all about with other reviews. I stayed one night for business. Arrived an hour early before check-in; had a friendly greeting and was able to get my room early with no additional fees. The few clerks I encountered at the front desk were pleasant to talk with. King bed room was clean and included an additional table. Hotel is 5+ miles from the airport. Shuttle from and to was on time and convenient; was placed on the list during check-in for a ride back to the airport.

Good for the price if you just need a place to crash for the night. Hotels downtown/Oakland are much more expensive. Guess your activities would determine where you need to stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ZoomZoomUSA
Reviewed January 21, 2011

I had a flight booked out of Pit and that weekend it snowed. Moon was closed, Pittsburgh Int'l was closed... it was terrible but La Quinta made it a good experience. They were able to give us a room for an extra 2 nights (more snow=more delays/canceled flights). The staff was efficient and very accomadating. THANK YOU La Quinta!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jhallerwv
Reviewed January 18, 2011

So the hotel has some really really nasty reviews on here! It isn't exactly the Hilton, but for the price we paid it allowed us to have a decent week together during Christmas. The hotel is located like a mile from the airport...when my girlfriend left she just notified the desk and they had the shuttle ready to take her at 4:30 am. The hallway was kind of old looking, the ice machine didn't work and the vending machines took like 2 dollars form us, BUT that is little to complain about. The room was huge, clean and the table/desk came in handy for our mini christmas tree! The continental breakfast was pretty sweet..they had juices, milk, corn flakes and raisin bran, you could make belgium waffles and bagles and they had a good assortment of fruits. The front desk was very helpful. I can see where people could complain about the parking, it did get pretty crowded at times, but I was always able to get a spot near our room.
The location is good though, short drive to malls and downtown Pitt...did I mention there is a Primanti's next door!!!!!
For real, this place is a good deal...if you're going for Steelers games you can avoid the downtown rush by using the University Drive Steelers shuttle for like 2 bucks a person. It's right down the road by Sheetz and parking is free! Also one last thing, yes you can here the planes a little bit, not too bad, but remember you are close to the airport...the Doubletree across the street hears the same things! Not the hotels fault!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BillBum
Reviewed September 30, 2010

My husband and I went for my class reunion, enjoyed the hotel. Comfortable stay. Rooms need some upgrades, but the hotel is clean and has a nice staff. We travel to Pittsburgh a few times a year and should be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The Good: Free WiFi in rooms, close to airport, airport shuttle, some staff very friendly, bed was comfy, fairly quiet, saw pilots and flight attendants staying here (usually a good sign).

The Bad: Clogged sink, clogged shower, some staff unprofessional, pathetic breakfast options, furniture upholstery was faded and ripped, very short shower nozzle, not a very scenic area to stay.

Bottom line: If you're number one concern is to get in and get out of Pittsburgh, there's still better options right across the street from this place. I told my wife to book it because I've been very impressed in La Quintas in the past, and this has completely changed my mind about the chain.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport
Courtyard Pittsburgh Airport
Courtyard Pittsburgh Airport
#2 of 11 in Coraopolis

Been to La Quinta Inn Pittsburgh Airport? Share your experiences!