“Never got the chance to eat!!!”

Selma's Texas Barbecue
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Beaver, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never got the chance to eat!!!”
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Stopped by last Friday to get some take out to take home to my family. I'd driven by it a few times and wanted to give it a shot. They weren't very busy, had maybe three tables occupied, but the two in the kitchen were running around like crazy people trying to fill an order. Not very organized, can't imagine what it would have been like if they were really busy. After waiting the better part of ten minutes she walks up to the counter. Before she asks what I would like she announces that she hates this place. Really? Way to exude confidence. I start to place my order and another customer comes up and asks where his hush puppies are, completely annoyed, she announces I'll bring them to you when I can. Returning her attention to me she then exclaims how frustrated she is. Really, I hadn't noticed. At that point I said never mind and walked out. Food could be great, who knows. I couldn't get past the extremely poor service.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jennifer G

pittsburgh
“Real Barbecue in Pittsburgh!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I've had Selma's takeout several times now and eaten in once or twice. What it lacks in atmosphere (strictly utilitarian) Selma's makes up for in the food (strictly lip-smackin'). They cook up only what they think they can sell in a day, so they do on occasion run out of certain items, but I appreciate the concept and always find something to satisfy my hankering for good barbecue. The brisket is absolutely phenomenal and my personal favorite, although the ribs are excellent as well. I've also enjoyed the smoked chicken, and all of the sides - especially the green beans - are perfect companions to the meat. I like the choices of barbecue sauce served on the side: Memphis style in original or spicy, Carolina style in mustard based or vinegar and pepper, Texas Cowboy and Kansas City style. Selma's is a southern gem in the 'burgh, and well worth a trip.

• Visited September 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nothing special”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The BBQ here was good, but not the best in town. The place has no atmosphere and the help is just taking up space. Portions were adequate, and things seemed fresh. The total package just did not make me excited enough about the place to want to go back. No complaints, just no enthusiasm to return. If you're just passing thru and need a place to eat that serves BBQ this will suffice.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank debbie c
Pittsburgh
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

As a previous reviewer wrote, Texas, it's not. I'm rating it average not because of the food, which I would have rated between average to good, but because of the service an management. Arrived on a Friday a little before 1pm and they were out of everything but pulled pork and catfish special. Those were good, but the counter service was confused, and the woman who seemed to be in charge seemed just plain ornery. I passed by later while she was taking another order, and all they had was catfish at that point, and she said it to the customers as if it was there fault. Plus, the place felt like it was 90 degrees. They have sauces from all regions of the country--S. Carolina, Texas, Kansas(I think) and about 3-4 others which is fun, but to me, that's a bad sign. If you're a Texas BBQ, be a Texas BBQ. I'd give the place a second chance, but can't say I'll rush back.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Tuttidirezioni
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Texas It's Not!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

When in Philly, but a cheesesteak. When in Arkansas or Kansas go for the bar-bq. Here in Pittsburgh the pizza is great. See what I'm getting at? This place is just okay. Nothing to write home about. There was no air conditioning. Hot, hot, hot!

• Visited May 2013