“Watch for the bed bugs”

Motel 6 Montoursville, PA
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montoursville
Reviewed September 14, 2011

One nights stay was all I needed to find bed bugs had fed on me all night. The manager said "no refund" because I booked my trip online. Offered me a 25% discount on my next stay there. Also heard him say they thought they fixed the problem, which means he knew.
Not happy !!
Prepare ourself ahead of time, no matter where you go.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank dwellingdiagnostics
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Montoursville, PA

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Clean room, comfortable beds. Breakfast was better than expected.
Quiet motel otherwise, but there was a railway track located somewhere near.

Definitely worth of money. However, be prepared for not so classy customer service.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I booked a stay at this Super 8 motel in Williamsport / Montoursvillle PA for 4 nights August 10 to August 14, for a personal trip for a family reunion. I choose this hotel, as a last resort, due to all of the other hotels being totally booked in the area. The 'rack' rate for this hotel for the dates of my stay was $104.00 per night, with AAA discount being $89.00 per night. Using a Sams Club discount code for Sams Club members, I was able to get a rate of $79.00 per night for the 4 night stay. My stay was booked using www.super8.com. (This is a Sams Club Membership discount rate, NOT Sams Club Employee rate - I am not a Sams Club employee - more on that later).

Upon check in, I was given room # 207. The room was in great shape, very clean, and smelled fresh. My only complaint was the bathroom sink drained very slowly, and I had asked to have this looked at. At the end of my stay, the sink still drained very slowly, so, this was not looked into. But, other than that, the room was great. I had no issues at all with the room, the layout of the hotel, the cleanliness of the hotel, or my actual stay. Based solely on my actual stay, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a decent clean and average place to stay for a few days.

Now for the 'poor management' part of my review. When I checked out on August 14, I was asked by the manager / owner of the hotel for my 'corporate ID'. I asked him, what corporate ID. He informed me that I have a 'corporate' rate, and in order to receive this rate, I need to show him my 'corporate ID'. I informed him, I made the reservation using my Sams Club discount code that I have for being a Sams Club member. He then said, I still need to show my 'corporate ID. I showed him my Sams Club membership card, and he said, no no, I need to see your Corporate ID. My Sams Club Employee ID. I again informed him, that I using a MEMBERSHIP DISCOUNT CODE for SAMS CLUB MEMBERS, and was again told, I need to have a 'corporate ID'. that that code is only for Sams Club Employees. I informed him, I have had this discount code for 4 years, and have never had a problem using it, maybe something has changed that I was not aware of. At any rate, the manager / owner said, 'I will give you the discount this time, but, next time you need to have a "corporate ID". So, I ended up getting my discount.

When I got back home, I called Super 8 corporate 1-800 number. I then said that I had an issue using a discount code that I have been given, and was told that it is only for employees. I asked the person on the phone, if she could tell me what corporation the discount code I was using was for, and if it was still valid. She then informed me that the discount code I used to book online was for Sams Club Members, and yes, it is a valid discount code. I asked her, if this code was only for Sams Club Employees, and she said, no, that it was a valid code for Sams Club Members. I thanked her for her help.

Next, I phoned the Super 8 hotel in Williamsport / Montoursville directly, and informed the person who answered of my problem, and what I had just found out via the 800 # line. She took my information, and passed it on to the manager / owner. (he never came to the phone, he just relayed the information back to the front desk person). The manager / owner then informed the clerk to tell me, that on my next stay, I MUST bring a valid 'corporate ID' to receive the discount. I again informed the front desk clerk that the manager / owner is mistaken and the code was a valid code for Sams Club Members, -- it is NOT an employee code. I was then informed that this is a privately owned Super 8, and that they do not have to honor ANY discounts - not even AAA. I thanked her, and informed her, that I would be taking this matter up as a complaint to Super 8 corporate - that this hotel is not honoring discounts.

I then placed a call back to the 1-800 # for Super 8 and asked to speak with a supervisor. Here is what I found out from the supervisor. All Super 8 hotels are independently owned and operated. It is up to each owner / operator as to what - if any discounts he / she will accept. And that evidently this Super 8 has chosen not to accept any discounts. He then informed me that if I had booked the rate via a site such as hotels.com or priceline, that I would have to take the issue up with them. I then informed the supervisor, that I had booked the rate online using www.super8.com - the official super 8 website. Well, that is a whole other issue.

If the rate is booked via www.super8.com - the official web site, then that rate MUST be granted, and the hotel MUST accept that rate. So, if the owner / manager refuses to accept a rate that was booked via www.super8.com, then the client is to contact the 800 # for Super 8. Super 8 corporate will then inform the owner / manager of that hotel, that they MUST accept the rate that was booked via www.super8.com. -- no questions asked. I thanked the supervisor for this information.

I then called the Super 8 hotel in Williamsport / Montoursville back, and relayed this information to the front desk clerk - and was then informed - well, we have a sign that states we have the right to refuse service to anyone. OOOK --
Looks like I won't be staying at that property ever again -! (well, maybe I will - as long as I book via www.super8.com -- then they have to honor it! )

I really wanted to write a 'nice' review for this stay. Like I said, the actual hotel stay was great -- but, the management / owner leaves something to be desired. Too bad all they want is the $$$ -! Greedy owner.

Room Tip: Book via www.super8.com only
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank coastrnut
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed in this hotel last year because frankly there are not a lot of options in Williamsport, PA, and the price was good. I will never again stay somewhere without reading the reviews in TripAdvisor! The staff were rude; the locks had problems every time we tried to enter the room; and the hotel was basically full of drunks. The "breakfast" was the worst thing I have ever seen put out in a hotel -- at least when we were there, it consisted of some stale bread and bad coffee. There may have been a couple of stale donuts as well, but that was it. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Avoid ANY room in this hotel...
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Having problems with my credit card, they allowed me to stay. A few days later, after I had left, I was able to pay for my stay. I surely would return another time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2010

My husband and I just stayed at the Super 8 on Old Montoursville Rd, Montoursville, PA, Saturday night, October 16th. The young woman on front dest when we checked in was very nice and accomodating. Room not cleaned yet but no problem. She went ahead and got us checked into system and gave us our room key card for room 303. We went on with family and returned to motel about 11:30pm. Hiked up to 3rd floor with our stuff-and room key would not work. Kept trying, kept getting red light. Husband went down to front desk and woman on duty came and tried. She was unable to get it to work either so used her master one to get us in and said any further problems she would let us in again. She then came back to room a few minutes later and said problem was fixed and our key should work now. Getting ready for bed-hadn't double checked the door yet to put on the chain and double lock door. Lo and behold if about midnight or so there was a rattling at the door and it opened, scaring us to death! There was a young man with door key in hand, suitcase, looking very confused as well as we stared at each other. He looked at the card, looked at the room number on the door and said "they told me I was in room 303". This "after" this woman had been up there and obviously knew we were already in room 303! So we have a key that does "not" work for our room and this stranger has one that "does" work to get into our room-and our room is assigned to two people-how does this happen?? And the guy on the front desk when checking out in am just seemed to shrug it off as no big deal saying "oh, well, they must have just given him the wrong key, he was probably supposed to be in the room next door." Great-maybe our key would have worked for his room and we could have just exchanged keys. Stay here again? Doubt it! Definite concerns for safety at this place. On a positive note-the king bed was comfortable and the room was very clean-the housekeeping staff very nice and seems to do a good job-which is why I'm giving it 2 stars instead of 1. And the young girl on the front desk at check-in was so nice and helpful. Should add, I have stayed here a couple of times before and no problems but it may be going downhill. What if this guy that accessed our room had been of a questionable type-scary in this day and age. Anywhere you stay, make sure to use all the chains and bolts available. I'm "not" recommending this to friends mainly due to the lack of concern about the situation from the front desk staff.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We recently spent one night here during the Little League World Series because it was the only room we were able to find available at the last minute. We didn't have high expectations but this place was worse than expected. The room was dirty and we felt that we couldn't use the shower. The breakfast consisted of prepackaged snack food. The hotel is beside the interstate and was very noisy.

Despite asking for a non-smoking room, the room smelled strongly of smoke.

If you have a choice, go elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SunniSu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montoursville
Comfort Inn Williamsport
Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsport Faxon
Residence Inn Williamsport
Residence Inn Williamsport
#4 of 14 in Williamsport

Been to Motel 6 Montoursville, PA? Share your experiences!