DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh - Monroeville Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Monroeville
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Arriving by car at the end of a rainstorm, we were pleased with the large, comfortable room. We decided to eat in as the rain remained threatening. It was a stroke of luck that we decided to eat at the restaurant in the hotel because it was excellent. Our server was charming. Couldn't believe there wasn't a line to get into the dining room, the food was so good. Hot breakfast the next morning was also good. There was an omlette maker who was obviously rewarded for putting as few ingredients as possible into each omlette. Other than that quibble, this is a really nice property and I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank raftmaster

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel presents as clean and pleasant. Check in was done quickly as I had prepaid for the room, and they made note of my request to accommodate a family member with allergies. The gentleman at the desk was friendly and informative. The room was clean with the exception of hair in the sink and bathtub, and after the first night of my two-night stay there was more (I had cleaned it up once). The bathroom was tiny, but there was a good supply of hot water and the shower head worked better than those at most hotels. The TV menu was cumbersome for anyone who did not want to watch adult channels or pay-per-view, and one section of supposedly "free" offerings was not free if you wanted to watch anything other than the review of the program. The air conditioner worked well, with a wall mounted thermostat with adjustable fan speeds. The beds were clean, and the bedding was wonderful, but the mattresses were so soft as to be uncomfortable. The pool was clean and the area was nicely appointed with towels rolled and waiting on each lounge. One of their maintenance personnel offered a referral for a good place for dinner. The checkout process was smooth and uneventful. I did not eat on site, but there were restaurants for all tastes within a short drive. Convenient to the PA Turnpike as well as the Pittsburgh Zoo and Kennywood. All in all a good stay...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mebumblebee
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This hotel has undergone several transformations tbefore its current Doubletree nameplate. We had a corner large room, sofa, chair, good desk space, wonderfully comfortable king bed (we slept like 2 babies!), clean and quiet. The breakfast buffet the next morning was well stocked, omelets made to order. The pricve was more than fair, and lower than 3 others we checked. The location was functional...we were visiting Pittsburgh and wanted to be on close to the turnpike. As we were checking out, they were telling someone they were fully booked that night. They must be doing something right!

Room Tip: Corner king rooms are spacious!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 2Media_Docs
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel was built as a Marriott about 35 years ago and it then transitioned into a Radisson and now it is a Doubletree. The property is located within the Monroeville Mall grounds about 13 miles East from downtown Pittsburgh.

Upon entering the property you can tell the small lobby area has been renovated within the past two years. The check-in process was expedient and the front desk staff were certainly friendly. I was checked in by a gentleman named Jon.

I was assigned a corner king room on the 9th floor which was decorated well, however, it has a very tiny bathroom. Oddly, the floors off room were extremely uneven, as were the floors outside of the elevator and hallway. The bed within the room was a Sleep Number bed which was extremely comfortable.

The television within my room was a flatscreen and it had an average amount of channels, most of which were not HD. I did not experience any of the food and beverage outlets during my stay so I cannot offer any opinion.

During my stay there were a few groups in house which were problematic, primarily due to the hotel's staff putting my room in the middle of one of the groups. I did voice my discontent to the Rooms Division Manager of this oversight. He was quite accommodating and genuine in expressing his apologies.

In short, the Doubletree Monroeville is an acceptable hotel and is likely the best selection in the Monroeville area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were delighted to be able to afford a stay at a property that is usually out of our price range. My guess is that there was nothing scheduled at the Convention Center and therefore the prices were low. We were on a Pennsylvania college tour for my son, and we needed a quick overnight stop in Pittsburgh between campuses.

This Doubletree offered a beautiful, large room -- sleeping area, seating area, work area, pull-out couch for the teenager -- and a nicely appointed bathroom. Quiet, clean property. Very helpful staff. Love the warm cookies at check-in.

Near enough to several dining options, too.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LyndaWV
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed there just last night. Check in was quick and easy and the room we had on the top floor was enormous. Plenty of open space to move around; all that was missing was a fridge. The bed wasn't all that comfortable to me and the pillows were too small for my liking but that's just a personal tiff. The air conditioner was very loud and when it wasn't running, you could hear them in the adjoining rooms (but in my experience, few hotels have silent a/c). The room itself was clean, as was the bathroom, though the grout around the tub was moldy and needed more attention.

The pool was cold, which was disappointing but the towels, both at the pool and in the room, were thick and soft (unlike the sandpaper you get at most places). We enjoyed the breakfast but we were 10 minutes too late to try the buffet.

For the price, it's still a decent place to stay. Good location just off the highway and close to shopping. Hotels in downtown Pittsburgh were $200+ so it would be a cheaper alternative for people staying in the area or, in my case, just for passing though.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the DoubleTree this past weekend and it was a wonderful experience.

LOCATION: Its proximity to many great restaurants and Monroeville was very convenient - you could walk to the mall or restaurants from the hotel if you wanted. Also, this hotel was a mere 15 minutes away from the downtown Pittsburgh, so we got a great suburban hotel price but could still easily drive down to PIttsburgh to go sightseeing. It's also right next to the convention center if that if your interest.

ROOM: The room was great - not blow your mind amazing, but what I would expect from a Hilton Double Tree room. It was a good size, modern furnishings and clean. The bathroom was petite but used its space efficiently. A plus was there was a second sink external to the bathroom with a large counter. The beds were sleep number beds, which was totally new to us and very cool to change the settings and feel how the firmness of the beds changed.

SERVICE: We were there both times the cleaning staff did their rounds, and when we let them in, they were very nice, asking if we needed any extra towels, coffee cups, etc. and then working silently once we let them know our needs. The front desk was very friendly and those cookies they give out are absolutely delicious. They actually come to your hands WARM, and you can tell they're freshly baked in-house.

PARKING AND WIFI: The parking was free and the Wi-Fi was free, two major PLUSES to booking here versus a downtown Pittsburgh location. The Wi-Fi was especially excellent, much faster than what I'm used to from complimentary hotel internet access.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple