“It was WOW!!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I travelled to the Sri Venkateswara Temple last weekend with my family and on my way I found this restaurant.
I saw on website that there are 2 more Indian Restaurants in the same place but this one had the maximum rating of all, 87 compared to 12 for the next highest. I decided to go there. First look at the restaurant was not that impressive but then I noticed that there is no space in the parking lot.
It must be something, I told to myself.
Went into the restaurant and inside also it did not look that impressive but I had to stand in a queue to get a place to sit. After 5-10 minutes I got a table.

Its a complete vegetarian South Indian restaurant. I ordered a plate of Idli and Vada. Also a plate of their starter platter. Both were awesome...

We tried their Palak Paneer and Baigan Bharta, and again, both exceeded my expectation. We also tried their Paneer Dosa and Sada Dosa. Both were good. Chutney and Samber was also good.

I had such a great South Indian food after all most two years. The total bill for 4 of us came to $55 or so. Looking at the quality of food, it did not look at all high to me.

If I ever visit the same place, I would surely go to the same place again.

Thumbs up for Udipi cafe! If you like South Indian food, it is a "must visit"

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I should say this restaurant has one of the best Indian (authentic) vegetarian food. Cooking is my hobby and believe me the food here was mouth watering. We had Medu wada, chole batura, Poori, Manchurian, Rava dosa, Samosa between four of us. Food was excellent. I would go here again any time.

The owner is from Karnataka and you get very authentic South Indian food such as Idli, Dosa, Vada etc. They also have good north Indian food.

The bad: Service not up to the mark, may this is due to lot of customers. We had ordered Mango lassi and never got it. The place is not so great looking and AC was not working properly. It was hot and little uncomfortable. The items are also pricey.

Finally, I should recommend this restaurant since the food was very good. The food is spicy, hot and tasty. Very authentic. We loved it.

1  Thank Gurudesh
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Don't be put off by the outside appearance of this place - it isn't a draw. But trust me - the food is just fabulous, and the prices are so reasonable. Every entree we ordered was under $10. All vegetarian Indian fare - and the place is always busy, often with people waiting to be seated. We went in with a group of 8, and the language barrier made it just a bit difficult to ask specific questions. You might or might not get exactly what you ordered unless you point. My advice is for everyone to order, then serve family-style - everyone gets a taste of what's on the table!
The food is simply wonderful, with sauces served on the side to either make it spicy (or spicier) or cool it down (if needed) with yogurt and cucumber. The "puffy bread" is a huge, airy boat of bread coated with butter - I was addicted. Go.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Look around. What you'll see are lots of Indian families enjoying dosa, idli and vada at very reasonable prices. The service is great. The food is the only Indian restaurant I bother to seek out.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

If you need white linen tablecloths, waiters wearing fake Indian attire, or the sounds of Ravi Shankar wafting in the background, this is not your kind of restaurant.

If you want great dosa and other southern Indian food at a fantastic price, then this is DEFINITELY the restaurant you should choose. The menu is extensive, varied and authentic. Udipi is very vegetarian friendly and BYOB.