“Never Again”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Monroeville
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Monroeville
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I didn't like this hotel at all. The rooms are small and narrow. I had a king suite and it felt like a large closet! It had a 25" TV that didn't even have a remote. My closet was at the foot of the bed so I couldn't even get into it. The walls were gross and all you hear were passing cars on the highway. Also, their so called fitness center consists of 1 treadmill and 1 bicycle so good luck working out if anyone else has the same idea. Don't stay there if you can avoid it!!!

Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed September 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. We were concerned about the location after read some of the reviews. The hotel is in deed located right next to the toll booth - you'll see it when you pay the toll (we are from east, driving toward Pittsburgh).

Following some reviewers' comments, we requested a room away from the freeway upon checking in, the lady at front desk was nicely accomodated our request and gave us a room that I later found was at a farther distance in this hotel from the freeway. It is very quiet, clean, and has 2 double beds, 2 TVs and a sleeper sofa in the room, in addition to a work desk and a station for coffee etc. The hotel looks exactly like what were shown in the pictures on the hotel website. The breakfast was excellent, has hot sausages, bacons, bread, cereals, boiled eggs, and a lot more; you may also make your own waffles in a waffle iron. It is all included in the price (we paid for only $45/night booked through priceline, what a steal!)

The stuff at front desk were friendly, made sure all is fine for our stay. The only thing we did not like about the hotel is that it is difficult to get into the hotel from the road (Mosside Blvd), especially at night, since you won't see the entrance road well (Daugherty Drive) and there is no light there.

All in all, we are very pleased with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2008

From the start, I just thought it would be another hotel. The outside looked like the picture given on the internet. The check in was smooth: No lines, no waiting. Dennis and Megan served me this particular weekend. I had questions and special requests that they answered and fulfilled right away. Breakfast was above my expectations for a "continental breakfast". Crystal was in charge of this area for my entire stay. She was friendly, helpful and prompt. Food was ready before the time promised. The area was clean and fully stocked. When there was an item that ran out, Crystal was quick to refill it. Never a cross word, or complaint I heard from her as others asked her questions relating to the food or lack thereof. I met Ray in the elevator a couple of times. I did not need his services during my stay but his concern with how my stay at the hotel was going was reassuring. He made sure to remind me that if there is anything he can do or others to make my stay enjoyable it was just a phone call away. I just didn't know that I can actually like being in a hotel. The names of staff members were visable at all times and for that I apologize for the names that I forgot. This hotel has wonderful staff members. There was not one that I met that gave me the impression that I was causing more work for them or that serving me or helping was their job. It felt more like I was in their home and they were there to make sure I felt at home and I did. I thank everyone at Springhille Suites, Monroeville, PA for a wonderful stay.

My only two negative comments would be the location of the pool and the smell of the room. The pool is located on the first floor close to the entrance. The first smell that hits you once you enter the lobby is the strength of the chlorine in the pool. To me, that was not a welcoming smell. My room also had a funny odor. I later learned that this hotel allows guests to bring pets. I do not know if that was the case with my room from a previous guest or just the need for a new type of air freshener but that is my negative comments.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 9, 2008

BEWARE OF THIS PLACE

While the hotel itself is fine as its clean and fairly new with a nice indoor pool, ONE THIRD of the hotel is about 50 feet away from an VERY BUSY toll booth. I usually sleep fine near busy streets as the traffic noice becomes ambient once you get used to it.

But you NEVER get used to semi trucks coming to a halt with their screeching breaks, only to rev up their diesel engines 10 seconds later after paying the toll. You cannot appreciate how loud and close you are to the toll booth until you can see money changing hands from your hotel window.

Needless to say I got virtually no sleep. I was in the lobby at 5:30am, dressed and ready to leave.

I will never bid this zone again. I only paid $35 via priceline and I got ripped off. I would not stay here again even if it was free, unless I could guarantee I would be on the opposite side of the hotel.

If you must stay here, make sure you request a room AWAY FROM THE TOLL BOOTH, or you will get no sleep. If you cannot guarantee this, when you pay the toll off the turnpike, look to your left and you just might see what color your bedspread is.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank Bowden68
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Stayed at this location for a business trip and had no issues. Upon arriving in my room I found the chair at the work desk was broken and would not raise/lower properly. I informed the front desk of this and let them know it could wait until the room was cleaned the next day. About 10 minutes later there was a knock at my door and the lady from the desk was there with a new chair!

If you are going to stay here I would ask for a room on the front side of the building. The PA turnpike is about 20 yards off the back of the hotel and there could be an issue with traffic noise for a light sleeper (which I am not and I had no trouble).

The hotel itself is a little difficult to get to the first time but this seemed to be more a function of the area as I noticed this when going to some restaraunts as well. After one day I was familiar enough that it wasn't a problem.

Overall a great stay and one I would recommend.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2007

The SpringHill Suites in Monroeville offers great accommodations at a good value. The room was very quiet, no interstate noise at all (be sure to request an even numbered room as they are away from the Pennsylvania Turnpike), unlike some nearby hotels. The Hampton Inn (which I highly regard) and Holiday Inn are within 1 ½ blocks and make good alternatives. The hotel does NOT appear to have wireless internet access; high speed access is free through a wired connection. The connection itself was fine, good speed, no access problems, I just didn’t like being attached to the work area desk which has a poor view of a television and would have preferred a wireless connection. That said, at least they don’t charge $10/day for internet as do many higher end business properties. Entering and exiting the hotel can be challenging depending on the time of day due to an unsignalled intersection at Daugherty Drive, a drive through the connected Holiday Inn parking lot allows use of the traffic light at Holliday Lane. The two young staffers working the desk appeared to be more interested in watching reality TV shows in the lobby than attending to guests at check-in which was disappointing. All in all an excellent choice for those with business at the Westinghouse Energy Center and other eastern metro Pittsburgh locations.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for the US Open; and yes, like a previous guest, we paid the very high price of over $300/nite! It was certainly not worth more than the $149 that I pay to stay at a Courtyard Marriott in Los Angeles. Its biggest plus was that it was super easy to get on the fwy to get to the Open in Oakmont, PA and compared to other hotels in the vicinity, like the Red Roof Inn or Hioliday Inn, we were glad we at least got this hotel. Plus, it is a Marriott property, so if you are a Rewards member, you can't go too wrong with them. I rated this hotel average because it was just that; not great and not bad either; like I said, "met our basic needs." Since I couldn't find a higher star hotel, this met the expectations of a 3 star. Bad thing was the ridiculous price gouging...

My biggest recommendation is to call the hotel to request the front side of the hotel or else you will get the tollbridge outside your window. Yeah, they tell you that they can't guaranteee it, but still request it anyway.

The hotel in general was clean and from what we understood, recently refurbished. The suite we had was small for both me and my hubby although we had a king bed. There was a small microwave and fridge in the room so we kept snacks for when we came back from the Open. They do have a very good complimentary b-fast, not the just the cereal and fruit types of continental b-fasts, so that surprised us.

Their evening reception desk rep was extremely helpful to me.
She gave us all of the restaurants that were in the area, as well. The day staff were a bunch of idiots in comparison to her; seemed like their summer hires or something.

Stayed: June 2007