“Great location for easy on and off Tollway”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Monroeville
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Monroeville
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Good hotel, clean comfortable rooms. Staff very friendly. Was driving through Penn from Wisconsin to New Jersey and figured where I wanted to stay for night. This hotel was perfect for that, easy on and off tollway. I did not ask for rooms infront part of hotel but was assigned those anyways. I slept well and had a good breakfast myself and my kids. I would stay there again if driving through. I little pricy for a small town, but not out of line. KIds loved pool and also slept well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

As stated in other reviews, the rooms are on real suites. We had 2 queens, a sofa bed and a small fridge (no freezer) and a microwave. But it was certainly enough. The staff was great and said hello at every encounter. The indoor pool was ice cold. Breakfast was basic but free.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

You can read other reviews that tell you about making sure you have a room that faces the front of the property but the bottom line here is that an accountant, a marketer and a developer must have gotten together on this and the result is less than spectacular. The accountant decided to cheapen everything to the lowest cost and the marketer said that was fine as long as they could still call it a suites property. The developer found a lot that was sitting on top of a turnpike ramp (not kidding here) that probably was passed over by many but didn't care. The people running the place are great and the atmosphere is happy but paying 50% more per night than I normally do for a real Suites property that has a full size fridge, cooktop, bedroom door, two TVs, a fan coil unit instead of a window shaker, and an 8 cup coffee maker doesn't make sense to me. My mistake for not digging deeper. It looked good on the map and my favorite brands were full. Breakfast menu also done by the accountant.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have stayed here before and returned with my family for a baseball tournament in the area. We stayed three nights. Every hotel in the area was booked because of this tournament, and this one was packed with baseball players.

I knew about the toll booths, so we asked for a room on the front without difficulty. Check in was easy, with a friendly girl that I recognized from the last time there. The lobby was recently renovated. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet.

Because of all the baseball players, getting on the lone elevator without waiting was impossible. We took the stairs. Breakfast was typical Marriott fare and was good. However, the newly renovated room cannot accomodate a full hotel. The employee who worked breakfast was very friendly and checked on us frequently. She talked to just about everybody there with a smile!

At check out, I always like to hand my room keys to somebody at the desk and thank them. When I stopped at the desk, there was nobody there even though the lobby was full. I waited a minute and then laid my keys down and left. This wasn't the only time I noticed the front desk unattended, and if I have something they can improve, this would be it.

Overall, a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the toll booth.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We've stayed at this location several times. The staff is very nice and does everything it can to make your stay comfortable. We knew to ask for a room away from the toll plaza from our prior stays. The room we were given was across the hall from rooms near the toll plaza, but we had no problems with the noise. The A/C in our room was so cold, no matter how we turned it down. We couldn't turn it off or else it would have been too humid. I came home with a terrible sinus and chest cold and my husband and a thing going on too after our first night. Even after 5 days home, I'm still suffering.

The workout room is adequate for a hotel of its size, but the TV on the elliptical machine did not work the entire time we were there. When we stayed there last fall, it was the same issue. Has the TV not been repaired for all of these months? I once again reported it to the front desk clerk.

The wireless internet was good and the breakfast was a typical SpringHill Suites breakfast, very adequate.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room away from the toll plaza.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Had a lovely stay at the Springhill in Monroeville. The lobby was totally remodeled. Nice pool area and exercise room. Even though my room overlooked the toll plaza, I was on the top floor, and the windows are very thick, with the Dan running, I had no trouble sleeping. April, the breakfast manager is so gracious, always asking if you need anything.

Room Tip: High floor, away from plaza
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank coolbana
JoAnn D, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

I'm very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are always happy when our guests are satisfied. April is a joy to everyone. It is easy to see why she is SpringHill Suite's "Breakfast Attendant of the Year"! Thank you for your kind words, and we hope to see you again, soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

It's interesting that in one recent TripAdvisor review from someone who gave this hotel five stars, the first words are: "This was a one-night stay. We were offered a room away from the toll plaza without asking." That's it right there. Get a room away from the toll plaza, this hotel is probably as decent as any SpringHill Suites. But if the hotel is full, as it was when we arrived, and the only rooms overlook the toll booths, you're in for it. The noise level is ridiculous. Not even the hum of fast-moving traffic on a highway. Trucks gearing down with jack brakes. Cars getting up to speed. And to top it off, the sun beams into your room from this side of the hotel and the curtains have a hard time keeping it out. My wife and I are pretty patient. We rarely move out of a hotel to another one. This time, though, we left for the much more pleasant and comparably priced Residence Inn a little farther west on Business 22.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
JoAnn D, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am very disappointed that your stay was not what you expected.

I would like to apologize to you for the noise that you experienced during the night. I understand that it can be very stressful being in a strange place with traffic noise outside your window. Our standard procedure in this case, would be to move you to the other side of the hotel where it is much quieter. Unfortunately, as you stated, the hotel was near occupancy, and a move was not possible.

Once again, I sincerely apologize that you had to check out early. It is not our intention to have unhappy guests.