“Good location, little turnpike noise” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Monroeville

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Monroeville
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Monroeville
Helena, Alabama
“Good location, little turnpike noise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2007

The SpringHill Suites in Monroeville offers great accommodations at a good value. The room was very quiet, no interstate noise at all (be sure to request an even numbered room as they are away from the Pennsylvania Turnpike), unlike some nearby hotels. The Hampton Inn (which I highly regard) and Holiday Inn are within 1 ½ blocks and make good alternatives. The hotel does NOT appear to have wireless internet access; high speed access is free through a wired connection. The connection itself was fine, good speed, no access problems, I just didn’t like being attached to the work area desk which has a poor view of a television and would have preferred a wireless connection. That said, at least they don’t charge $10/day for internet as do many higher end business properties. Entering and exiting the hotel can be challenging depending on the time of day due to an unsignalled intersection at Daugherty Drive, a drive through the connected Holiday Inn parking lot allows use of the traffic light at Holliday Lane. The two young staffers working the desk appeared to be more interested in watching reality TV shows in the lobby than attending to guests at check-in which was disappointing. All in all an excellent choice for those with business at the Westinghouse Energy Center and other eastern metro Pittsburgh locations.

• Liked — location, easy access to Turnpike and food/shopping
  • Disliked — Left turns across Mosside Blvd without trafic signal, inattentive staff at check-in
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for the US Open; and yes, like a previous guest, we paid the very high price of over $300/nite! It was certainly not worth more than the $149 that I pay to stay at a Courtyard Marriott in Los Angeles. Its biggest plus was that it was super easy to get on the fwy to get to the Open in Oakmont, PA and compared to other hotels in the vicinity, like the Red Roof Inn or Hioliday Inn, we were glad we at least got this hotel. Plus, it is a Marriott property, so if you are a Rewards member, you can't go too wrong with them. I rated this hotel average because it was just that; not great and not bad either; like I said, "met our basic needs." Since I couldn't find a higher star hotel, this met the expectations of a 3 star. Bad thing was the ridiculous price gouging...

My biggest recommendation is to call the hotel to request the front side of the hotel or else you will get the tollbridge outside your window. Yeah, they tell you that they can't guaranteee it, but still request it anyway.

The hotel in general was clean and from what we understood, recently refurbished. The suite we had was small for both me and my hubby although we had a king bed. There was a small microwave and fridge in the room so we kept snacks for when we came back from the Open. They do have a very good complimentary b-fast, not the just the cereal and fruit types of continental b-fasts, so that surprised us.

Their evening reception desk rep was extremely helpful to me.
She gave us all of the restaurants that were in the area, as well. The day staff were a bunch of idiots in comparison to her; seemed like their summer hires or something.

Stayed June 2007
Buffalo, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

The hotel is very clean, staff is friendly and helpful.
The room is extremely small and cramped; they should not call it a suite.
However, a good breakfast buffet is included and the price/value ratio is very good ($120/night).

If anybody knows of a hotel in the Pittsburgh area which offers one-bedroom suites, I'd like to know about it. I have been unable to locate any, other than the Country Inn & Suites, which is directly under the approach path to the airport.

• Liked — cleanliness, price
  • Disliked — rooms are tiny
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

First of all, our backyard was the Pennsylvania Turnpike tollbooth. Second, we were given a handicapped room (which we weren't informed about and didn't need) and it had a handheld shower. (which made it more difficult to shower). Third, the price for the night was raised from the normal $129 rate to $300 because of the US Open (which we weren't attending). Even though it was our choice to stay there, I had called several hotels (at the beginning of June; not realizing it was the US Open) for a reservation and the Marriott SpringHill Suites was the only place out of several in the Pittsburgh area which even had a room available(and the policy was no cancellations). Since we had to be at an event for my parents 50th anniversary, we took the room. At least it was clean and my kids (ages 9 and 14) got to swim in the indoor pool (which was small). They had a complimentary breakfast and a nice lobby. I wouldn't stay there again because of the way they jacked up their prices -- taking advantage of the customer -- I would first try another hotel.

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — Its price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Cincy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

Room was very clean. Not very big, the two double beds were squeezed in the bedroom and the fold out sofa took up the whole front entrance to the room. Nice to have both a fridge and microwave in the room. Breakfast was pretty good, a lot of choices, kept well stocked during busy mornings. Only complaint was with the staff. We arrived at 5:00 pm, well past check in to find out our room wasn't ready. Took them about 10 minutes to switch rooms for us and then the key card doesn't work. They apparently knew the lock was malfunctioning, so I'm not sure why nthey switched us there. Took about another 20 minutes to get us into a different room after various tries at reprogramming the key card, rebooting the computer, etc.

Stayed July 2006
Lancashire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2006

Having read reviews of this hotel prior to staying for 3 nights I was concerned about the potential noise from the toll booths out back. My concerns intensified when my advance booking request (via Amex) for a front-side room vanished into the ether and I was stuck with a second floor room with a lovely view of the turnpike. Thankfully I found the soundproofing to be totally adequate and the room to be acceptably quiet (and I'm a light sleeper).

In other areas the hotel was clean, staff polite, continental breakfast adequate...in other words an average business hotel.

Washingtonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2005

We stopped at this hotel while driving between Washington DC and northern Indiana. Although the room was perfectly adequate and we were not bothered by traffic noise (as reported by other reviewers), we had no hot water in our room when we woke that morning. We let the water run for over a half hour to see if it would get hot. It didn't. The front desk clerk offered the spectacularly unhelpful suggestion of turning the water off and back on again. We never got hot water and had to get back on the road.

When we later called the general manager to discuss an appropriate price reduction, she offered only a small reduction and said that when the desk clerk went up to the room there was hot water. She was curt, unapologetic and seemed to be questioning the validity of our claim.

I would certainly not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed July 2005