“Excellent stay. Don't hesitate to stay here!”

Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Monroeville
Elkridge
“Excellent stay. Don't hesitate to stay here!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here when returning from a W. Pennsylvania family event. I choose this hotel due to its proximity to the event but also the fact that the Pennsylvania turnpike is so close you can see the signs from the parking lot! I stayed at three IHG properties during this trip but this was the only full service hotel during the trip and I want to urge readers to stay here. It is an older property but the advantages of being a full service hotel are apparent. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. I appreciate being recognized as a Gold member. This hotel gives you a choice of getting 500 bonus points, or a discount on a meal, which I think is terrific. My room faced the swimming pool and I had a balcony. It was very pleasant sitting out there. I went to the dining room (excellent service) for breakfast and it's just the best thing to do as anything else would require you to get in your car in a congested business area. I enjoy taking a walk in the early evening, so I walked around the parking lot and the lot of the neighboring hotel, so it's limited but still possible. I want to mention four additional pluses: 1. I received a coupon for a free beverage, 2. the waitstaff gave me a take home cup for coffee without me asking, 3. there is coffee available in the dining room which is complimentary even if you are not purchasing a meal, 4. The pantry at the side of the reception desk had an incredible array of items for sale, the most complete I have seen for awhile. Stay here!

Room Tip: I loved my room facing the swimming pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Tampa
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I reserved this room on Priceline through their express deal when my name your own price was rejected. The room was right off the turnpike but was difficult to find because their sign is very low to the ground when compared to the other hotels so it was easy to overlook. I used a GPS and still had a problem finding it. The hotel is on a hill so it's not easy to see from the road.

I was disappointed that I was told they only had rooms with double beds available. I looked online separately once we got to our room and they did have rooms with king size beds with a pool view or a whirlpool. I don't appreciate being lied to. I would have rather the front desk person said the only king size rooms they have are an upgraded room with pool view or whirlpool. I would have liked the option of upgrading. It would have benefitted them because they could have made more money on our stay.

We only stayed one night because we were traveling. We checked in at 11:30pm so we did not use the amenities (pool and fitness center). They offer a breakfast buffet for $10.95. I'd much rather stay at a hotel with a free breakfast. We did not try out the breakfast because we wanted to get back on the road.

The room was updated and very clean. I like the shampoo, conditioner and lotion. It's bath and body works! It also has both firm and soft pillows which is a definite plus to me. We stayed on the third floor. I was surprised to see a washer and dryer next to the ice machine. I think it's great to offer the ability to wash something while traveling. If you spill something on your favorite clothes you can throw it in the wash and not worry about the stain setting in. If you forget to pack something you have the ability to wash something and wear it again.

The a/c worked very well. This is extremely important for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Room 318 is right across from the ice machine.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear tbourn1,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am very happy that you noticed the cleanliness of the room. On the other hand, please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion on the room availability. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I had a three day seminar at the hotel and stayed there three nights. Its location in town is great, right off the highway. Once in your room you can tell this is an older property but there was still an effort to update it. Beds, carpet, furniture, and TV were new as well as the paint on the wall but it still gave off a little of an old vibe. The bathrooms were the most dated, but clean. Its just one of those places that are updated but some of the old still shows. By the looks of some of the places around the hotel you can probably get a little bit nicer and newer room for the same amount of money.

• Stayed June 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear lostshaker2000,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is nice to know that you liked our location. However, let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that all your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.
Palos Heights, Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2013

A typical HI but i think it needs a little updating. The rooms were fine but the hallways were dreary and dark.
I had dinner at the restraurant which was very good (ribs) and took advantage of the 1/2 price by being a HI priority club member.
Very convienent ot the I76 Expressway for easy on/off.
The room was quite and clean (3rd flr)
I will stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Ghost44,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013

sewage pipes broke on my street and we couldn't stay at the house for a few days so my rental insurance with safeco put us up in the holiday inn for 3 nights it was absolutely wonderful only one thing i would change is to have better circulation of air exspcially in the smoking rooms you cannot open the window which is understandable due to security risks but they should have some sort of fan in the rooms

Room Tip: try to get a room with a microwave and small frig
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while driving from Detroit to Norfolk. It's an average holiday inn. The rooms were clean. There is a restaurant and bar conveniently located in the hotel. It's right off the turnpike but there is not much to do near the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday night while visiting Pittsburgh, had two different rooms and they were both great. My mom was thrilled that a hotel still exists that allows smoking, she and my dad had a room on the smoking floor and had no complaints. My girlfriend and I had a non-smoking room with a king bed and had a wonderful night. There was a fridge in the room, as well as a nice new flatscreen television with a great selection of channels. We had a great night's sleep on a comfortable bed, with our choice of a wide array of pillows of varying firmness. All in all, we were completely satisfied with the room and the time spent there.
The next morning we all had breakfast in the attached restaurant. The buffet was decent, although nothing seemed extremely warm. Still tasty though. It also seemed a little pricey but luckily I had some rewards points which shaved off a good amount so we were happy.
For the price and location (just off turnpike & I-376 near lots of restaurants) this is a great hotel. It definitely is the first place I'll try to stay next time I'm back in Pittsburgh

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family