“Disappointing.”

Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Monroeville
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We booked through Priceline. I don't know if the hotel assigns less desirable rooms for travelers who book for lower rates or if they are all equal, but the room we got was on the back side opposite the freeway and was pretty noisy. We had to keep the room's fan blowing all night to cover it. We had to ask for a lamp to be replaced as it was broken, and we also had to ask for a luggage rack to place a suitcase on. The box of tissues in the bathroom had only one in it and the bathroom itself was pretty cramped. The lamp was replaced by the time we got back to our room 2 hrs later, but we still didn't get a luggage rack until asking a second time the next day. Tissues were replaced by the next housekeeping cycle. We usually book hotels with free breakfast, but with Priceline, you don't get to choose. This hotel offered free coffee from their restaurant, but no free breakfast. Coffee makers are in the rooms, but it tastes like in-room coffee (I drink tea, and if you use the coffee maker to heat water it always has the lingering flavor of the coffee). The housekeeping staff did a great job every day, even though we chose to use the same sheets for 4 days. The front desk staff was helpful but busy. There has been some construction in this area, with a new medical center built. The hotel is at the same spot as ever, but the intersection is different and the street to turn in on is called Holiday Lane....it is not right on Mosside Boulevard, as one might think. Our GPS unit has older maps and it was a bit tricky to get there. I would not stay here a second time, but the price we got through Priceline made up for the deficiencies of the property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Amy T, Manager at Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear pmhb1,

Thank you for taking time to share you recent experience at the Holiday Inn Monroeville regarding breakfast.

We strive for our guests to have the best dining experience possible where everything exceeds their expectations. Please accept my apologies as that was not the case during your visit.

You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that hopefully upon your return as well as others, your unfortunate dining experience will not be repeated.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Kind Regards,
Amy Taylor
Guest Service Manager
412-717-9429

Reviewed November 26, 2012

When the pioneers were settling the area known as Penn's Woods (Pennsylvania) long ago, they checked in at this Holiday Inn. Well maybe it's not that old, but it's been here forever. George Washington was famously billed for stealing towels, but protested the visa transaction.

The building portion with the bar and front desk was originally constructed as a church (this part is actually true). But now you really can't tell this was built as anything other than a hotel. You can, however, see varying levels of repair and disrepair- I'm told they are renovating currently, and look forward to seeing the new look for this excellent location. While smoking in my room was prohibited, they supplied the scent of cigarettes free of charge, apparently leaking in through the vent in the bathroom, or perhaps under my door, the first of my two nights. The scent was not there on my second night. The walls seemed scratched up and worn. The front desk staff was very friendly when I checked in, and I didn't need to talk to them again, so they get a friendly rating from me.

So here are the good points: First, my room rate was great- I always use Priceline and save easily half off the regular rates and always end up with this particular hotel. I am pleased to get this hotel because I know it will be clean and comfortable. The bedding was fresh and clean, the bathroom spotless. The curtains closed and kept the Pennsylvania turnpike lights out of my room, as the heating unit hummed contentedly. A newspaper snuck under my door overnight.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for its price, its cleanliness, and its convenient location.

Room Tip: I recommend Priceline, AAA, and/or being a Priority Club member.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as the result of a priceline search. I researched tripadvisor after making the reservation and was very concerned because of the number of negative reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was very nice and the front desk personnel were very friendly. It was a great bargain at $79. I would not hesitate to stay there again

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear Jsbpgh,

Thank you for expressing the exceptional accomidations you experienced from your most recent stay. Our hotel staff works diligently every day to ensure that our guests get clean, comfortable accommodations with the services & amenities they desire. We are working hard to change our guests perception and turn the complaints on trip advisor to compliments.
Again, thank you for shaing your praises and we hope to see you at the Holiday Inn Monroeville soon. We will be honored to serve you again as a valued Guest.

Kind Regards,
Amy Taylor
Guest Service Manager
412-717-9429

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here in October 2012. There were 4 adults-only 3 washcloths. We asked at the main desk and they said they would send one up, but didn't. The room was very clean and comfortable. There were 2 full size beds, which was a little disappointing. However, there was an ample supply of pillows-rated soft and firm for your liking. The room contained no refrigerator. the bathroom was clean, but rather small. I booked the room on the Holiday Inn website and we took the guaranteed low room rate which was nonrefundable. When we checked in, the front desk mentioned that we had booked on Priceline. I didn't question it, but maybe that's why we ended up with just an average room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The good: comfortable beds, nice restaurant hostess
The bad: novice front desk staff. Our key cards lost the program. We had to goo down to reception late when we returned to the hotel. Not even an apology for the inconvenience. We booked "breakfast included" but were told because we booked with Priceline, we would have to pay full price for it. Fridge froze what we put in it. They allowed tractor trailers to park overnight in their lot, outside our window. We could hear and feel the vibrations of their motors. We had to ask for little things they "forgot" each day, once it was the bath mat, then the paper, then shampoo.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DebbieGT203
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Recently stayed 5 nights at this location and, even though it was under renovation, our stay way pleasant. The room with king beds have refrigerator and microwave, not sure if all rooms are equipped in the same way. This is a feature that makes our stay very nice as we travel. There were bottles of water and chocolates in our room when we arrived. The room was clean, bed was comfortable with a choice of firm and soft pillows, and the wireless was great---something that is very important to us. So often in hotels, depending on the room location, the wireless is slow or intermittent. The WiFi here was excellent. We did not eat in the restaurant so have no comment on that. We did notice a tray of dishes in the hall for two days, which was a little unsettling, but other than that, we have no complaints and would stay here again in the future if in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AmigoArturoArturo
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I recently stayed 2 nights at this location. Bed was comfortable and room had a microwave and refrigerator. Hotel is dirty. There were dishes in the hall and I'm not sure the halls or my room were vacuumed during my stay. I ate in the restaurant and it was really mediocre, There are signs all over saying the hotel is under renovation but I didn't see any workers or signs or construction.

Room Tip: This hotel is really spread out. Get a room on the inside to avoid turnpike noise. Skip the restau...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank RickyMM
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear RickyMM,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am glad you had a comfortable night's sleep. I am really sorry to hear about the unusual cleanliness issues that you encountered during your stay. We appreciate the candid feedback we received to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Irish V