“GREAT DINNER EXPERIENCE”

Emily's
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Mohnton
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At Emily's, you'll enjoy decadent fare in a beautiful Victorian setting that's just minutes from Morgantown and Reading. You'll love the atmosphere in our 1827 building that's full of history, and you'll be treated to outstanding food and exceptional service from our experienced team. If you stop in and dine with us for lunch, you'll find an extensive menu of entrees, sandwiches, and other delicious fare to choose from. Enjoy our expertly prepared meals in our dining room, or step outside on our deck to enjoy the warm sunshine. If you don't have time for lunch, then consider spending your evening relaxing and enjoying great food and drinks in a wonderful atmosphere by stopping in for dinner! Start with one of our tasty appetizers to share with your table, then choose your favorite dinner salad, pasta, or entree from dinner menu. Some of our most popular items include our signature Emily's Crab Cakes, Ahi Tuna filets, and our Kobe sirloin steak, but those are just some of the many delicious meals we have to offer. For those with smaller appetites, our bar menu will really hit the spot. Enjoy some of our freshly prepared food with one of our draft beers, a glass of wine, or another drink from our bar for the complete Emily's experience. We're looking forward to serving you!
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We went to Emily's with another couple and all had a very good dinner. Two enjoyed the veal dish, one had chicken parm (the chicken was delicious, moist and tender) and the fourth dish was the salmon which was also very good. I would rate the waitress at the top of the spectrum, she was friendly and very efficient. The atmosphere is charming and relaxing. We will be back.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Save your money and time. As other reviews have stated, the "gentleman" seating you is miserable. We were seated early but than sat with water for 20 minutes before the waitress bothered to ask us anything. She took our beverage order and disappeared. When she finally returned after another 10 minutes with our two draft beers she stated the reason was they had a new bartender. I guess pouring two draft beers is fairly complicated. Again the wait until our orders were taken. Returning to our table she stated "what do you want". No explaining the menu or the specials etc. Now this was Saturday night of the Greater Reading Restaurant Week where all participating restaurants have specials. Emily's offered three different entrees for the special and when we ordered one of those were told they just sold the last one. A lot of time wasted. We finally just left so I could not tell you how the food was. They say that Emily's is haunted by some ghost, I believe it is a past customer still waiting for service.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

In the summer we are seasonal campers near Emily's. We go there most Fridays or Saturdays during the summer. Not a hugh fan of the gentleman who seats you. He may possibly be the owner although I'm not sure. He is there most weekends. Extremely rude, unlike the rest of the staff who is wonderful. I really hate to give one of my favorite places a bad review but every time I go there I can just feel it coming! We love, love, love the atmosphere in the "bar". Service is painfully slow. Again,we're having a good time but 2 - 3 hours can sometimes be a bit much. Unfortunately the "bar" is the only area you can order off the bar menu. The bar menu is not extensive and is pretty much everything on the regular menu but you can get a burger. Went this past Friday night and the bar area (which only seats roughly 25 people) was packed. Two of us were dining and couldn't be seated. I asked if we could get the bar menu outside since they couldn't accommodate us in the bar. The rude man at the front said no....no apologies, no sorry, just no. I get that they don't serve the "bar" menu outside but they couldn't seat us where that menu is served. We would have spent roughly $80-$90 for the two of us to be seated outside in white plastic table and chairs and he turned us away. I knew this was coming for a long time and I hate it but I have such a bad taste in my mouth. If this man is not the owner, the owner should replace him and come up with a better solution to keeping customers.

1  Thank Canemom60
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Emily's is housed in a beautiful old building with five separate dining rooms and an old English style pub room. The decor is beautiful and the atsmophere is extremely warm and comfortable. The staff are all polite and welcoming -- it's the kind of place anybody would enjoy having a nice dinner.

We were seated at 6:15 and served water and drinks right away. However, the rest of the dinner didn't go quite so well. We waited so long between courses, we all began to lose interest in how beautiful the place is and almost ran out of things to talk about. We didn't finish our dinner until 8:30 -- two hours and fifteen minutes after we started, and we didn't even have coffe or dessert.

We all tried different dishes in the appetizers and entrees, and none of us were impressed such that we felt the price was appropriate. I think the food is overpriced by a factor of two. The size of the appetizers is appropriate, but the entrees were very light on the protein and very heavy on the starch. This was a great disappointment.

For my appetizer I had the crab dip, seasoned with curry which sounded great, but the curry was so overpowering it left no room for the delicate flavor of the crab and other spices. For my entree I had the acallops on a bed of risotto. The risotto was excellent, but the acallops were overbooked and dry.

Others have given good reviews here, so I hope our experience was a fluke, because this is a beautiful place with wonderful staff. I might give it another try if I'm in the area again, but I won't go out of my way.

1  Thank MtVernonMan
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The food was very good, again, although my Osso Bucco didn't fall off the bone like I remembered. Still, it was a very nice dinner. The waiter did make a mistake and add a glass of wine we didn't order or consume, and the young man didn't seem quite properly abashed or apologetic about it-- but the manager did, so that was okay. Overall, it was a tasty dinner in a nice place. Good menu. Good execution.

Been to Emily's? Share your experiences!