“Changed but not for the better”
Review of Maniaci's Italian Bistro - CLOSED

Cuisines: French, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2013

First time here since the makeover from the TV show Restaurant Impossible. Have been here several times before and the food, while not gourmet, was enough to make me stop back from time to time. The changes from the show were disappointing. The "new" decor looks like a quick visit to Home Depot to see what was on sale. The menu has been shortened and really limits their offering compared to before. There with a group of eight and most ended up ordering pizza because of the menu limitations. Only one other couple there on a Sunday night yet the service from the kitchen was very slow. Food quality was average to fair and the pizza was just pizza. The vote was unanimous among our group that it is not worth another trip back. The TV show ruined what was an otherwise decent restuarant. I watched the show from time to time but after what they did to this restaurant I have dropped it from my viewing list.

1  Thank jcarmello

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We came because of Food network from 30 minutes away. We passed probably 10 pizza joints on the way here that would have sufficed for pizza. The dinner I choose was not available, rolled pasta. Waitress forgot to bring me menu to make another choice. So I selected pizza. The calzone and French fries were really good, and liked the sauce. The cheese for the French fries was aweful, maybe bad? We Let her know. Her favorite comment was I really don't like it either. Heard her talking about how she doesn't like the meatballs. They need some work yet.
Ps bathroom had no toilet paper. But place was clean.
Won't return but love checking out food network selections.

2  Thank Judsch
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Had been to the restaurant several years ago and decided to give it another try after watching it on the Food Network TV show. I had the chicken parm and while the chicken was good the spaghetti was dry and gummy. It needed more sauce. My wife had some other dish which she said was OK. Most of the other patrons seemed to be having pizza and I should have ordered pizza. When our waitress brought my bottle of beer she asked if I wanted a glass. It is that type of restaurant.

2  Thank Bobbtoday
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Can't lose with the two pizza's for $14.99. Usually have a Stoudt's IPA on tap. Not sure if they still have this since Restaurant Impossible came in. Nice place in a run-down shopping center. Finding myself going down the street now.

3  Thank grinder62
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stopped to eat at this restaurant on April 28th after along day of antiquing in the area. Since we are from Wisconsin, we get this way only a few times each year and we made a point of visiting this restaurant after seeing it featured on Restaurant Impossible. It is much smaller than I imagined so I would suggest making a reservation for a table if you are planning to eat at a popular time. We got there early so we were one of the first parties seated for dinner. The staff was all very friendly and gave great service. The waitress gets particular thanks for saving our leftover container which we forgot to take with us. My husband ran back in as soon as we got to the car and realized our mistake. The table was already cleared when he went back in but the waitress had saved the container in case we came back in to retrieve it. Yay!

The provolone cheese appetizer and the calamari were both excellent. I loved the balsamic reduction served with the cheese- I have tried to make it at home and have never been successful. Maniaci's was perfectly prepared. The calamari wasn't the little circles you see at most restaurants, it was slices of squid with a housemade sauce. My husband loved it.

The salads were very good and fresh served with warm Italian bread, also excellent.

I had the chicken parmesan as my entree. It was plentiful and very flavorful. I would order it again on our next trip. My husband had the scallops and risotto. He said it was a well balanced dish. The scallops alone or the risotto alone didn't have the same effect but put them together on one forkful and they were GREAT.

We were happy to see the restaurant was still in business and doing well. If you are in Adamstown for antiquing, definitely drive the short distance to get to Mohnton to eat at Maniaci's instead of any of the restaurants in Adamstown. It is worth the trip.

2  Thank Karen L