Tripadvisor
Millvale
Open today: 12:00 PM - 11:30 AM
Review Highlights
Super fun date night!

Went for a date night and we had so much fun. It is something different and active. They also have... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Lettie Y
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Going Blade Style!

Had a great time connecting with an old highschool friend and an old college friend as well. Great... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
EvanMendenhall

All reviews axe throwing round robin great coach friendly competition ordered pizza bulls eye team building a lot of fun fun group throw axes bachelor party an absolute blast co workers great outing fun experience practice round super fun
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went for a 6:15pm slot last Saturday with 12 people to curl. We were there for a birthday this time, and we had all thrown axes at this venue at least two times, some people more than three. Axe throwing was always well-organized, efficient, and fun. While I understand curling is a new addition to Lumberjaxes, my entire party was let down by the experience. All 12 of our party arrived at 6pm. The sign in process was messy and inefficient this time; I put down the deposit on my credit card and was told to visually "point out" the other people on my deposit (4). Eight people paid cash. This was problematic, as the employees checking us in put the cash deposits under the wrong name. When I went to square up at the end of the night just to double-check we were all good, I was told I still owed $180. As an anxious person, this was not good news. I went to my group and every person swore an oath that they paid, all of them in cash. The employee I spoke with was a manager, and explained that maybe there was a mistake when they changed managerial shifts with people paying cash, and cash being hard ot track. Umm. What?

Secondly, for $30 you get to curl for 50 minutes. Okay, fine. We were all there 15 minutes early at 6pm for a 6:15pm time slot, paid, and were drinking at bar. No one approached us to tell us what to expect, where we should be, or when we would begin. Finally, at 6:30 I found an employee (Mike) who said, "Oh yeah, we'll get you started." Okaaaaaaay.

Unlike Axe Throwing, curling requires that the player keep track of the rounds and the games. Instead of a designated employee per lane, there are 2 people working 4 lanes at a time. We were told there would be at tournament at the end, Most groups played Round Robin but weren't keeping track of rounds. Dan and Mike were pleasant enough with shouting out scores, but we did not begin until 6:37. There was a rushed "tournament" at the end that just had all 4 lanes throw for the best score. I guess we were disappointed, because with axe throwing, there is a real tournament with knock out rounds, etc. Dan and Mike gathered us together at the end and we walked off the ice at 7:18.

For $30 per person, we expected A. to curl for the full time, not 41 minutes, B. better organization to sign in, and C. some time of leadership or score keeping, D. if our time slot is 6:15, start at 6:15. We had to call our dinner reservations (7:45) and ask them to move the time back (8:00) so we could make our birthday meal.

As people who enjoyed the axe throwing experience, Lumberjaxes either needs to knock down the price of curling or extend the time window to play. All 12 people said they liked curling itself, but they'd "never do it again here."

Sorry Lumberjaxes, but this was a fail.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

Had a great night out at Lumberjaxes Axe throwing! Great coach and loads of family fun! Family competition at its finest!

Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

Chloe and Mike were awesome. They were fun and engaging. We were at the Millvale location. So much fun!!

Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

Well organized. The instructor was superb.
The only advise we will give to help Lumberjacks with continual improvement is to find a way to offer tavern food and snacks. Waiting for pizza delivery is not the best.

Also one instructor and one throwing space is insufficient for 12 as most of the time folks spent standing around.
If you have a group of more than 6 throwers make two different reservations - both for 6.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

This place was awesome. I didn't really think throwing an axe could be so much fun, but here we are. You have an expert with you at all times, and he shows you how to play the game and gives you recommendations on how to improve your throw. He also keeps score. We had Ben, and he was very into helping us all up our games! Most of us had never done it before, and a few of us were nervous, but he was amazing.
We did curling there as well, and had Dan as our score keeper and trainer, and that was also a lot of fun and something you don't get to do every day! Dan was a lot of fun as well.
The guys that worked there really made it that much more fun!