“Gem of a micro brewery in Penns Valley”

Elk Creek Cafe + Aleworks
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Millheim
Cuisines: Dutch, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2014

What a gem of a micro brewery and locally sourced food bistro! The menu changes with the seasons, as do the beers, although several taps are year round favorites. This place is better than anything you'll find in the nearby college town of State College (30 minutes away) and the drive is beautiful. Be sure to look at the music venue on their website because they get some amazing musicians stopping by. Millheim is a (very) small town nestled in Penns Valley surrounded by Bald Eagle State Forest, which is filled with great trails and streams for fly fishing, mountain biking, hiking and general exploring (get a Purple Lizard map to guide you). Great beer, food and music: what else would you want?

Reviewed April 24, 2014

This locally owned place boasts its own brewery, great musical groups from all over, and the use of locally produced organic foods. Always full of friendly people. Very good prompt service with plenty of care taken by the wait staff. There are really nice bed and breakfasts around if you want to stay over.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

The service we got was excellent! We were cheerfully greeted at the door and seated right away. Our waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and beer. She was also very patient with us as it was our first time there and needed some time to decide what we all wanted. The food was excellent and cooked to order! I highly recommend the corn fritters and the homemade potato chips. I and my daughter in law each had a burger that came with fresh cut fries which were really good! My wife and son each had the pulled pork with apple slaw which was really good as well (my wife shared). My granddaughter had a grilled cheese and fries which she seemed to enjoy. Oh, and I haven't even mentioned one of the main reasons we were there! The beer! My wife and I shared a full flight of their beers. I liked them all to a certain degree but the Great Blue Heron Pale Ale was my favorite They have a nice variety and I truly believe there is a beer for every taste. If you like craft beer and locally grown organically grown food this is the place to go to. We are already looking forward to our next visit!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Great selection of local food on the menu, microbrewery selection is great as well. Nice uncrowned atmosphere even if the house is packed for one of the great blues shows. There are specials on the board every day, and be sure to ask for dessert, and they have a good tea selection too!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I have been to Elk Creek a couple of times. We love the micro brews. The current Anniversary Ale is excellent! For our meal we enjoyed the daily potato, bacon, leek soup and the goat cheese pizza. Also, we ordered fries for an appetizer which were very tasty, and even seemed somewhat healthy given the peels were still on and they weren't excessively greasy. My mushroom risotto, however, was mostly tasteless. Sigh. On past occasions we have enjoyed the live music though there wasn't any on this particular night. Overall, a pleasant experience, and a nice break from State College fare.