“Decent place, but horrid bar service.”

Jack's Family Tavern
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Millersville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went to Jack's last night to watch the hockey game. There were a fair number of people there, but not busy. Two bartenders on staff. It took me at least five minutes every time to get the bartender's attention. They didn't look happy to be there, and they generally ignored all of the customers.

The fries we ordered were nice and hot, but nothing special.

1  Thank spivonious

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Was in town for a volleyball tournament and asked a local for a good place to get a burger. They recommended this place and I'm glad they did. It is your typical pub with a family atmosphere. Everyone in my group ordered the burgers and they came out perfectly cooked, great tasting, juicy, and big. What more could you want? The fries only come in one size and that is heaping on a plate. They are cooked in peanut oil and if you never had fries cooked in peanut oil, you are missing out. They were the perfect complement to a great burger. Service was good but I can't comment on any of the other food. If I'm ever back in the area, I will be going back and getting another burger! I almost forgot the best part, it was inexpensive!

1  Thank glen65
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had been to a basketball game at nearby Millersville University. A coupon was on the back of the program. We decided to try out something different and visit this restaurant. When we arrived, it wasn't busy, but there were patrons at about one-third of the tables. The hostess was accommodating and let us sit at the table of our choice. The furnishings are scarred and drab, the fake hanging flower baskets are dusty and look ..fake.., the decor over all was dull, and the carpet needed a good shampooing. I almost turned around to leave. The table settings seemed clean, so I decided to stay and give the food a try. The paper menus listed food and prices... lots of prices. You had to pay extra for nearly everything. My mother suggested that it was because they catered to a lot of college students who probably wanted extras of everything. I just found it to be odd that a typical dinner came with a veggie OR a potato. The salad also had to be purchased separately, even thought the same dinner cost over $13 dollars. I chose the veggie burger. My mother decided on the signature Jack's steak tips sandwich. My burger came with... miraculously... lettuce, tomato, pickles AND a whole slice of onion. It also came with about 8 kettle cooked chips. (I asked for more and wasn't charged extra.) My mother's sandwich looked appetizing and came with sauteed onions and mushrooms and the same few chips and pickle chips. She said the onions and mushrooms could have been cooked a bit longer. A few of the tips were gristly and she but her tongue trying to chew them. The coffee seemed fresh though. We had to ask for everything: ketchup, mustard, steak sauce, sugar, etc. What a chore. Anyway, I gave this place a 3 only because I was sorta satisfied with the veggie burger. We will not be going back.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My partner and I have visited this restaurant many times over the last few years.
I know many people say the baked potato soup is the must have item but my vote goes to the French Fries. They come closest to "Boardwalk Fries" in Lancaster County PA. Generally they are greasy and ohh so good just like the fries at the seashore.
I can't recommend the roast beef sandwich but the hamburgers are good and, of course, huge. I can also recommend the hotdog and the crab cakes. As you can guess this is typical bar fare. Don't look for gourmet food.
This tavern is one of only two restaurants serving alcohol beverages in Millersville, a small college town in south central Pennsylvania. The beers on tap are limited although they do have a few microbrews in addition to the standard beers.

1  Thank Quatermas
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Jack's is the place our family of five goes for casual dining, usually on the spur of the moment. If you take care to avoid major events at Millersville University, there is usually not much of a wait for a normal-sized party. Half of the establishment is a bar, but the restaurant part is very family-friendly and completely separate from the bar area. The dining room is usually filled with people of all ages, so you won't feel out of place here if you aren't a college kid. Ambiance is definitely casual, however, so plan quiet, romantic dinners elsewhere. The service is friendly, attentive, and accommodating.

We've more or less sampled the entire menu among us, and we've never had anything that was below-average in quality or portion size. Prices are very reasonable to us, and there's usually something good that fits what you're hungry for, from full-dinner entrees to tavern appetizers. There is a decent kids' menu, too, with portion sizes appropriate even for older children.

One thing that's a little different at Jack's is that french fries only come in a container like a large pie tin. Our family usually shares one order. And the super-hot wings are extremely hot, no kidding around. Order with caution, as is clearly spelled out on the menu.

Try Jack's and see if it fits as your family's no-brainer place for casual food.

1  Thank hereshecomes