“This visit just OK....others have been very good”

Hampton Inn & Suites Lamar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mill Hall
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My wife and I recently visited this Hampton over a Penn State weekend when the rooms are generally all full. Even at breakfast, we didn't notice the large number of folks at the hotel. Breakfast food was very good and cookies were great. In past visits, we have been very happy with our room and the staff. In this case, we weren't as happy. We were in room 216 which is almost above the lobby area. This caused their to be additional noise from the lobby (phone ringing) and the elevator and ice maker. The biggest problem, however, was that this was deemed a non-smoking room. However, smoke came through the air conditioning from the folks smoking outside under the covering near the lobby. This is a problem if you are sensitive to smoke. On our final day, the mirror on the closet door came off. When we informed the staff of these issues, all they said was they would write them down. We never received an apology. The staff did give us one night's credit which was very much appreciated. We will return to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Don't choose 216
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Scott H

Reviewed August 31, 2011

My family arrived on a Friday evening to get our son settled into the local university for his first year of college. The Friday night stay was satisfied by a Hilton Honors reward stay. We had also booked Saturday evening paying the full price. Upon checkin, the front desk clerk told us that we would need to check out Saturday morning and check back in! We asked if we would maintain the same room. First she said no, then she went to further check and came back and said yes. On Saturday morning, I went to the front desk to check in. The clerk said we didn't need to do that. We left the hotel at approximately 730 am and returned around noon. The room had not yet been cleaned. We then went to the pool for an hour while housekeeping was in the hall. We we came back, the room still had not been cleaned. We changed clothes and as we were leaving, housekeeping (in the room next to ours) asked if we needed anything. We responded towels and certainly assumed that they would still clean the room! We returned to the hotel around 7pm and the room had not been cleaned! Trash cans were full, beds unmade and the bathroom had not been cleaned. However, housekeeping did take the time to push the pile of dirty towels into a corner and lay fresh ones across the sink. I immediately went to the front desk to complain. The gentleman at the desk suggested that perhaps we left the "do not disturb sign on the door!" When I told him we did not and told him that housekeeping had even ask us if we needed anything, he didn't say anything. I asked if the manager was available. He responded that he will be in tomorrow morning. Upon checking out, I went to the front desk and when asked how our stay had been, I again recanted the experience. A gentleman, who I assume was the manager, apologized and stated that he would remove the rewards points. When I checked my Hilton Honors account, the points had not been subtracted.
What a disappointing experience! We will be making alot of trips to Lock Haven over the next four years and based on this experience, we will most likely be staying at the Comfort Inn next door.

By the way, when I returned to work on Monday morning, I had a voice mail from the Hampton Inn asking why our luggage was still in the room when we were checking out!!!!! GRRRRRRR

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Recently stayed here for one night before bringing our daughter to Camp Woodward. The hotel looks very new inside and out. Check in is 3pm, we arrived at 2:45 only to be told our room was not ready so had to wait about 5 minutes. On the plus side, hotel was overbooked so we were upgraded to a suite, which is really just a bigger room with sitting area and kitchenette, not 2 separate rooms. We asked the front desk clerk for directions to camp as we had forgotten ours at home, but she had no idea how to get there. Then we just asked how to get to Route 45 since we knew camp was on that road and she couldn't help with that either. Frustrating as you would expect staff to be familiar with local area. Later on we found business center had computers available so we just looked it up ourselves. It would have been nice if clerk had pointed this out to us instead of having no info and no suggestions as to where we could get it.

Took kids to the pool which was empty at first but soon filled up. No problem except that 2 obnoxious teenage boys arrived and took over half of the pool, leaving all other kids to squeeze in the other half. They broke a floating volleyball net that was provided and then proceeded to slam the ball against the walls in the room so that the ball was flying all over the place, narrowly missing hitting numerous people. They were there unsupervised, and another guest kept telling them to cut it out, that they were going to hurt someone. The boys had an answer for everything. We called down to front desk and asked for the manager on duty but he was gone for the day, at 4PM on a Saturday! Told the same front desk clerk about the situation and she said she couldn't make them leave because their parents were paying guests. What about all of us other paying guests who deserve to use the facilities without worrying about being hit by flying balls???? Ridiculous answer in my opinion.....went back after dinner and pool was empty again. Hope the parents of those boys read this....

Room was spacious, very up to date and nicely furnished. A few annoying things though....bathroom door was warped and did not close all of the way and the shower/toilet area was very dim and had no ventilation fan. The closet was pretty much unusable (although we didn't need it) as doors kept falling off track and half of the closet was behind the sink (very weird setup). Kitchenette had no paper plates/plastic utensils which is pretty standard for hotels, no trash bags in any trash cans so food trash just went all over can. There were only blackout drapes for windows so you either had to have them completely open for daylight and everyone could see in or completely closed like you lived in a cave. They also ran out of pool towels at 7pm so we had to get regular bath towels from the front desk, yet the hamper in the pool area was full of wet towels that obviously just needed to be washed.

We never expect any place to be perfect and are not a bunch of picky nuts but there were so many little things that were lacking that we can't rate this hotel higher. In general the staff was friendly but upon checkout, the clerk (a different one) didn't even ask how our stay was.

This hotel is fine if you need a place for the night off of Route 80 but I don't think I would stay longer than that and will probably try somewhere else next time we are heading to camp.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank char0
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We were driving from NYC to Chicago and did not have reservations. Our family was ready to get off the road and relax. We were extremely lucky to have gotten the very last room in the hotel. We ended up in a king suite which was lovely. Very spacious, clean and a wonderful view of the mountains. Plenty of room for our family of five. Fresh fruit was available in the lobby in the evening and breakfast was fresh and offered many healthy options that the kids liked. The location was perfect. The pool and hot tub were very clean and large. Overall very nice hotel and a nice value.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Cannot say enough good things about our brief stay at this hotel. I have a large family with 4 kids. We arrived in the middle of the night with from New York. It was easy to find right off the insterstate. The front desk clerk was accommodating. The suite was quite spacious to handle my whole family with two queen beds, a pullout couch, and a chair with footrest just the right size for my 4 year old son! We keep Strict Kosher and the breakfast person was super nice in working with me and showing me a list of what was Kosher for breakfast. First time at a Hampton Hotel but it will not be the last. We hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: If a large family like mine, ask for the suite and spend a few more dollars, well wirth it!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Sales_Marketing17751, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Lamar, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

I am so glad we had a room and Kosher items to accomodate your family needs. Thank You for your kind words and your business.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

We were passing through after a long day on the road. The parking lot was mostly empty but we were told that all they had left was suites..? So, being exhausted, we booked for $150. The 3rd floor room was very large, with very classy linens and pillows, comfy armchair and sleeper sofa. The view towards the mountains was just plain stunning. Breakfast was very good, as is usually the case with Hampton Inns. However, one odd thing disturbed our sleep: there were no heavy curtains on the windows (yes, we had two huge windows)--just sheer drapes that opened and closed, with heavy, decorative side drapes that did NOT close--we tried.(They were fixed narrow pieces along the sides of the windows.) So, the sun came up at 5 a.m.....and that was the end of our night's sleep. It's the first hotel I've stayed in anywhere that did not have heavy curtains, blackout drapes, or even shades. I should think that on the ground floor, privacy could be an issue at night. Maybe it's because the hotel is new --?

Room Tip: Ask about blackout curtains--esp. in the summer!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank You for bringing that to our attention. I am so sorry that the early sunrise shining through out drapeless windows awoke you. I am fowarding your comments and concerns to our General Manager. Thank You for your stay.

Reviewed June 23, 2011

When we couldn't find a hotel in Williamsport, we booked this one in Lamar. The location is pretty remote, except that it's right off route 80. Despite its proximity to the highway, the hotel is situated so nicely that you can't hear highway or truck noises. The farmland and mountains surrounding the hotel are serene and beautiful. Our room was huge--I could have stayed a long time! It was probably bigger that it needed to be--but it was nice not to feel closed in as I worked at my computer at the large workspace. (I work from our room while my husband works at a nearby plant.) This would be a great place to stay if we need to come here for a longer time. We had a clean kitchen area with counter top, sink, microwave, coffeemaker and fridge. There were 2 queen beds, a nice workspace, comfy chair and not quite so comfy couch. We also like to use the pool when we stay at a hotel. This one was a little chilly, but once I started swimming it was OK. It was big enough to actually swim a little. There's a hot tub and a "patio" which is really mostly parking lot, but not too many cars go back there, so I guess that's ok. You'd have to drag your own chair outside, as there aren't any chairs out there. There were quite a few kids here in the evening--the hotel was pretty full-- so I only used the pool during the day. I don't mind kids, and I don't feel like I'm entitled to a private pool--so that was fine. It seems like a pretty good place for families. Also, the lobby is nice and breakfast was not bad. The fruit was fresh, which is not the case at most Hamptons. I would definitely come back here! And if the weather is nice next time, I'll spend a little time at Bald Eagle State Park, which is about 20 min away and has a nice lake. Also, the Woolrich Company store is about 15 min away--a great place to go, but if you go often, sign up for the email list so you can get coupons. The prices are pretty high.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

I am glad you enjoyed our location, the surroundings are beautiful here and we hope to have you back again soon, it is so pretty in the fall as well. Thank You

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mill Hall
#1 of 2 in Lock Haven
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lock Haven
#1 of 1 in Milesburg
Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area)

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Lamar? Share your experiences!