“Style & Elegance in the PA countryside close to NYC”
Review of Hotel Fauchere

Hotel Fauchere
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Milford
San Francisco, CA
“Style & Elegance in the PA countryside close to NYC”
Reviewed October 3, 2007

It is my pleasure to highly recommend the Hotel Fauchere in Milford, PA, which I visited for the first time a few days ago. The hotel is small, beautifully appointed, centrally located, and both management and staff are unusually friendly and accommodating. Hallways are decorated with beautiful, well-lit, mostly antique oil paintings of the region, and details everywhere, from elegant wallpapers to hand-painted signage, are subtle and refined.
In my room, upon arrival, was a packet from management including a hand-written note of welcome from the hotel manager, a history of the hotel and the town, brochures featuring neighboring sites and historic buildings of interest, and souvenir postcards which may be filled out, left at the front desk, and mailed at no charge. Internet wireless was instantaneous and efficient.
The deep, luxurious, claw-footed bathtub in a surprisingly well-appointed bathroom, resembles what one might find in a high-end hotel in London, with large, fluffy towels, a serious chrome towel-warmer, a bath tray containing top quality soap, shampoo, conditioner, bath and shower gel from Kiehl, and above the sink was a first-rate, magnifying shaving mirror.
Breakfast was served in a sunny terrace room beautifully set with immaculately pressed napkins and linens, fruits and morning pastries were fresh and appetizing, coffee was prepared individually, and there were copies of the NY Times available next to the buffet.
A formal dining room, Delmonico’s, is situated on the main floor of the hotel, close to the entrance. A more casual lunch and dining room, with full bar, is downstairs.
Service was personal and excellent, and the menus varied, interesting, and well-prepared.
The entire visit was delightful, literally full of delight, and I look forward to returning as soon as possible.

Angus Whyte
San Francisco, CA
October 3, 2007

• Liked — Cleanliness, comfort, style, and quiet elegance
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Angusto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Stanford, California
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I read about the Hotel Fauchere in the New York Times in December 2006, so when I was looking for a last weekend getaway from Philadelphia with my husband before the birth of our first child, we decided to give it a try. We had a wonderful weekend, and I look forward to going back.

The staff was very helpful and professional. When I called to make a reservation, the receptionist helped me determine that since we wanted to dine in the Delmonico Room, the Weekend Getaway Package would be the best deal for us. I had mentioned that I was expecting, so when we checked in, we found a bottle of chilled sparkling cider in addition to the complimentary bottle of wine in our room. The staff also helped us plan our activities for the weekend.

The owner, Mr. Strub, was very friendly and seems very involved in the hotel; he stopped by our table in Bar Louis on Friday to see how we liked their new dessert, and he seated us in the Delmonico Room on Saturday and checked if I wanted an extra pillow to support my back. We also often saw him in the reception area.

We were in a Deluxe room (the mid-priced option), which was very comfortable, though not huge. It was on a corner, and one side overlooked a pleasant garden behind the hotel. The bathroom was beautiful, and had a double shower (no bath). The bed linens were very comfortable, and the bed was made in the European style where there are two duvets (one for each person) over a fitted sheet, with no top sheet. (I like beds made this way, though my husband prefers a single duvet.) We didn't use the TV or stereo, but they appeared to be top-quality. Our only complaint was that there was just a single reading chair, but I was happy enough reading on the bed.

While the hotel was very nice, what really made it special was the food (and food is very important to us). After arriving late Friday night and looking at menus for nearby restaurants, we decided to eat at the hotel's casual Bar Louis. My husband just had a hamburger, and I had soup and salad, but the food was really amazing -- fresh ingredients, wonderfully prepared. The desserts were also excellent. The continental breakfast was also amazing: homemade granola, yogurt, fresh fruit, delicious pastries, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and French-pressed coffee (plus a free NY Times). And dinner at the Delmonico Room was, of course, perfect.

The town of Milford is cute, although antique shops and art stores are not really our thing. We mostly used it as a base to explore the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, where we spent a lot of time hiking. There were a number of quick trails there for people who just want to walk 5 minutes and see a waterfall (e.g. Raymondskill Falls), but we spent most of our time visiting the longer trails around PEEC (Pocono Environmental Education Center), which had wonderful handouts you could take to learn more about the trails as you walked.

I think the only downside to staying at the Hotel Fauchere is the price, but I guess you get what you pay for. :-)

• Liked — Great food, easy access to Delaware Water Gap
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Lisa O
Shenandoah Valley
Reviewed August 20, 2007

On the way back from a two week vacation in Maine, my partner and I stayed overnight at Hotel Fauchere and we had a lovely time. Service at the Fauchere was welcoming and dinner at the Delmonico was wonderful, better than many of the restaurants we ate in Maine including Primo. My partner felt that it was home away from home with a quiet luxurious touch. Milford had an easy charm with its architecture, Grey Towers, the Falls and friendly shops for browsing. We had a great time, especially with the double showers, and are coming back. The co-owner Sean even helped us with our bags. What more could you ask.

from the Shenandoah Valley, J&P.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SVwilltravel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 28, 2007

To be honest, I had never really stayed at a high end hotel and did not know what to expect. Hotel Fauchere's extra-friendly staff, decor, accomodations, and dining were all top notch. From the moment we stepped into the country-style porch until we sadly drove away, we could not stop raving at what a great time we had. I would not hesitate to recommend to everyone.

• Liked — total pampering
  • Disliked — we had to leave
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank weslito2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2007

In June this year on the way back from a trip to visit friends in upstate NY I drove through Milford Pennylsvania. It was convenient to spend the night there and I checked in to the Hotel Fauchere, impossible to miss on the main street of this town.. This proved to be an unexpected and wonderful surprise. I had a very large and extremely comfortable room, which can only be described as luxurious with every detail thought of, in the room, and bathroom. This is apparently a hotel of some historical significance and it has been lovingly restored. The atmosphere is quite and dignified. The biggest surprise was to come in the quality of the meal served in the hotel restaurant. This can only be described as a grand restaurant and my menu choices were quite memorable. Milford proved to be an attractive town, and having found this hotel I actually prolonged my stay for another night. The staff was courteous and attentive, and as noted, the dining experience was memorable. The drive to New York City took about 1 1/2 hours, and so this hotel makes Milford a great weekend getaway from the city. I spend several months each year in New York City, and intend to visit Milford again.

• Liked — The room comfort, and great food
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Miltone
New York, NY
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Every detail in the Hotel Fauchere speaks of taste and talent. From the use of local bluestone in the baths to the original oil paintings of the Hudson River Valley, this boutique is a delight to experience.

The management greeted us with sincere warmth and even the housekeeping staff was cheery and efficient -- something of a rarity these days.

But what puts the Fauchere in my top category is the food. The informal space, Bar Louis, is fresh and full of life -- don't miss the sushi pizza! Upstairs, the Delmonico Room features exquisite cuisine in a romantic setting.

The Fauchere makes an excellent base for exploring the parks along the Delaware River. It would also be an ideal choice for a small wedding.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 23, 2007

Milford is only 75 miles from New York City, but the lush trees and and historic architecture make it feel worlds away. And the Hotel Fauchere really surprised us: a small, 19th-century gem, it also boasts all the up-to-the-minute comforts of a 4-star New York hotel, right down to the most comfortable sheets I think I've ever slept on. Somehow, historic architectural details have been wedded to the modern, like the elegant new elevator that takes you down to Bar Louis, a restaurant as elegantly designed as anything in Manhattan but with better food -- you don't expect this kind of exquisitely rendered cuisine outside of a major city (I don't think I've ever had a more perfect salmon).

There's a real, loving attention to detail here, and frankly, I can't
wait to come back. Hit this town, and this hotel, before it gets overbooked.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelling_Fool_LA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
Hampton Inn Matamoras
The Lodge at Woodloch
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to Hotel Fauchere? Share your experiences!