“Don't let the bed bugs bite..cuz they will!!!”
Review of Malibu Dude Ranch

Malibu Dude Ranch
Reviewed October 6, 2009

The only thing good about the Malibu is the beautiful horses and unlimited riding. Tom, Rob, Chris, Allison & Katrina were friendly and very knowledgeable. The kitchen staff was pleasant, they worked hard to prepare meals for us, which were ok. Our cabins were digusting! I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel, I've stayed in many BnBs and motels and camped, NEVER have I stayed in one so filthy! This was FAR beyond rustic!! When we received our keys we went to check out our rooms, when we first opened the doors the smell hit us immediately - when we looked around the room we saw stains on the curtains, walls, black and broken baseboards, burnt out electrical outlets and holes in the wall - I didn't even make it to the bathroom yet! The carpeting was disgusting, didn't dare walk on it unless I had shoes on. When we pulled back the bedspread there were stains everywhere, I brought my own sheets and immediately changed them. The toilet seat lid was so old that the paint was pealing off and the bathroom door was broke. There were no locks on any of the windows, I didn't feel safe. I didn't know where to put my bags for fear something would crawl in them! We went back to the front desk to complain, but she was annoyed. For the activities the archery is a bail of hay w/a target (unsupervised) the tennis court had cracks, the basket ball courts had no nets, the rifle range had a grumpy old man running it, the big built in pool had scum on the top that hasn't been cleaned in years, half the games in the playroom were out of order, the life preservers for boating were moldy cuz they are left out on a pole. You never saw anyone cleaning up the grounds, doing maintenance or cleaning the common areas - on the front porch of the Main House there were broken chairs that you couldn't sit. Never saw the owner Steve, I understand he was there, but he NEVER walked around to the tables and introduced himself. This place HAS so much potential, unfortunately they have let it run down....it's BEYOND rustic....it's down right dirty! NOW FOR THE WORST PART OF ALL....we were turning in for the evening and as the saying goes "don't let the bed bugs bite" well THEY DID! My room was infested with them!!! I have BED BUG BITES all over my body - 10 alone on my face!! When I got home I was fearful I brought them home with me, I threw out my sheets, pillows, slippers, luggage and anything else that couldn't be washed. I have not been able to sleep for days! I would NOT recommend this place to ANYONE!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
9  Thank MANG143

Reviewed October 5, 2009

I'd like to start this by saying - the kids had fun, but please paint & clean the rooms. The wranglers & guides were WONDERFUL - the cook - very cheerful always smiling - GREAT morning cofee!!! I understood coming into this, it's a working ranch - I was NOT expecting the Marriott. I did expect clean rooms. I can deal with old furnishings, etc... But - out of the 4 rooms each with double beds and bathroom. 2 of them looked like they were beginning to get a little TLC... the other 2, one of which I actually stayed in - were AWFUL, as I said I can deal with old, even broken furniture. This was in total disrepair - the ceiling was peeling, the curtains were dirty AND dusty the carpet - GROSS, the towels were very clean and white (unfortunately I used them to cover the curtains and walk on when I forgot my flipflops at the door. There was mold on the ceiling in the bathroom (which I sprayed with bleach cleaner I had in my car and while the shower curtain was clean, once I noticed the curtains, in the room and bathroom, I started really looking around me... well - there was mold on the shower curtain hooks, bleached that. If I had not brought my own mattress covers, sheets and blankets - we would not have been able to stay here ( brought them because reviews I had read suggested it). I just thought the rooms would have been a bit more. It was a step up from camping only because there was an actual roof & walls. When my friend and I asked about getting 2 different rooms, the woman behind the desk seemed bothered that we would even ask, she had no time to explain things except to hand us an itinerary for the weekend - didn't feel we could ask more questions if we wanted to. Did not see her again until checkout on Sunday am when she was in the office and didn't even bother to look up when telling us to just leave the keys there on the desk - SHE WAS NOT FRIENDLY. The place was REALLY run down REALLY run down - I kept reading reviews about "rustic charm" - it was NOT rustic charm - it was RUN DOWN. There were boats to use - but the life preservers were moldy. The benches near the pond/lake so low to the ground you might as well sit on the ground. The rooms (at least the 2 we had - awful - not clean at all) the gameroom - run down, but the kids didn't care. The gift shop - actually had nice sweatshirts - plain but decent and priced fine. It's an excellent concept, again, the wranglers/guides were AWESOME, the horses beautiful, the peole hanging around, but not really working there, very nice. It does need an overhaul - not fancy - maybe not even an overhaul just a REALLY good cleaning, some paint - maybe adding a bunch of chairs outside on the deck for people to use. It's a shame because it's so close to the city and if a little time and effort were put into it - it would be an EXCELLENT place to go. I know I would pay more, for a cleaner feel. I feel bad because I had 4 additional families looking for a close getaway and I don't feel that I can reccommend this place - at least not to sleep there. For trailrides sure - but to sleep there - NO! I truly hope that for some reason we just happened to get the two worst rooms at the place.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank APFMOM
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We went to the ranch on a day pass, we had a blast from when we went in. Went on 2 horseback rides with 2 great guides, Rob and another one, sorry I can't remember your name. Tom who runs the barn was absolutely great selecting the proper horse for the rider, he was working with a group of special needs children when we went. You could tell his whole heart was into making sure they had a wonderful experience.
We had a delicious lunch with Steve the owner, he sat down with us and later showed us pictures and shared stories on the walls of all the unique visitors on the ranch that delighted the guests. Not movie stars, but bobcats, bear, racoons etc..... It made the whole experience seem real.
Shooting range, Pipes set us up at the shooting range, never shot a rifle in my life and out of 35 bullets after instruction I hit 32 on the target. Better than my husband who has been shooting since a kid.
Would go back again, needed to get away from the corporate life. This was not fancy but it was a different day and a great get away being a cowgirl for a day.
It's a ranch not a resort if your looking for change go, pampering go to a spa.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Same old same old....great for kids of all ages... food was good after many years

ya think the menu could change.....however all the food was edible and good size

portions ( seconds too) ...horses were in great shape ....riding was just ok

trails not what they once were....leave your phones home ....kick back and relax

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2009

Malibu Dude Ranch..................great staff, great horses, Friday night dinner was the best!
Breakfast...had to wait for buffet to be refilled.....beds :( , there were NO BED BUGS we did check, bring your own linens and blankets and you'll be fine....flipflops for no bare feet, rustic, camping like atmosphere....bring old boots, and you'll be fine.............there was nothing better than watching the horses at the end of the day, going to the front meadow.................. recommend to a friend? if they like horses, and camping YES!!!!
My iPhone worked, with internet on the phone ;)

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed April 3, 2009

i started going here 20 years ago and continue to go at least once a year. The price is ridiculouly cheap for all there is to do and meals included. The staff especially the owner steve are wonderful and will bend over backwards to accomodate the guests. my kids love it here and look forward to going every year. the accomodations are rustic but it is a dude ranch. most of the rooms are outdoor cabins. will continue to go here every year until i cant get on a horse anymore. thank you steve and all the workers especially tom for making us feel like family when we are there.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed March 24, 2009

We went here for a week at the end of June. This was a girls trip, my mom in her 50's, myself in mid 30's and my 2 daughters 13 & 7. This is by no means a fancy place. I don't think it has ever been renovated but I find that to be part of the charm, it isn't like staying at a 4 star hotel, it is more like golrified camping. The main reason we will go back and are already scheduled to do so is because of the staff. The guys and girls down at the barn are amazing with the horses and the kids are treated like gold. My 7 year old can ride as well as anyone now because they spent time on teaching her and showing her how to ride properly. The food was better than I expected. Nothing fancy, but better than some of my cooking accoring to my kids, especially the chocolate cake. Everyone knew your name and it was hard to leave. There is not an abundance of activities unless you want to do something on your own. The main reason we went was to go horseback riding and relax and we got plenty of both. It was also a learning experience for the kids, no TVs in the room, we bought some cards and some games and just connected a bit. Hayrides, bonfires, fishing, archery, basketball, tennis...there was enough there to keep us busy for a week. It was hard to say goodbye to everyone, my kids cried and can't wait to go back...it is like a second family.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
Hampton Inn Matamoras
The Lodge at Woodloch
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to Malibu Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!