“Thanksgiving Nightmare!”

The Delmonico Room at Hotel Fauchere
Reserve with OpenTable
The Delmonico Room at Hotel Fauchere is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 44 Restaurants in Milford
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Two years ago we were here for Thanksgiving. It was one of the finest meals we have ever had and I wrote a review to document the experience. This year.....not even close. The food was average at best and it took forever. We were there for 2 1/2 hours and finally left before the end. Very long stretches between courses. The wait staff was very apologetic and embarassed. It is hard to believe this is the same chef that was in charge of the meal in 2010. It is difficult to imagine a professional restaurant that can not plan a meal when there is a fixed menu, they know how many people are coming and know exactly when they are coming. They did 3 seatings. We ate at 4 and there were approx 30 diners. The 2 pm seating looked like less than 15 people. I doubt if they served more than 75 dinners. Only one course was served hot. Forgettable in every way but so disappointing when compared to the heights they reached in 2010. Restaurant and Hotel Fauchere are so inconsistent I can not recommend either.

1  Thank kimrealestate

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went for brunch and the place was nice but I was really put off that almost everything on the menu said it contained raw milk which was not recommended for kids, pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems. I have an immune disorder and was really scared to eat the food. In the end, I did order and the food was okay, not even that great. Very overpriced. Service was pretty slow too. Overall, this was a bad experience.

1  Thank laurentvg
Reviewed October 10, 2012

First, the staff and setting are wonderful. We did not complain once through the meal because of their quality . . . however . . . . . .

As expected we arrived for a tasting menu, blind and trusting - the first course was Duck tartare . . . I ate it and my spouse wouldn't, fine - we knew what it was.

The second course arrived and neither of us understood the description, it looked like blue corn tortilla chips, sort of, on a bed of moss, so we ate it. After we finished the fortunately small portion we asked, (shame on us for not being clear about the content first) and we learned that it was clay chips with acorns - they reported that people ate dirt during the depression, fine, but were we spending $300 for dinner to eat depression fare? Frankly, the dirt course ruined the rest of the meal. We started looking for the cameras assuming that we were on a comedy show and they were seeing how far we could be pushed.

Another course was served on a burnt log with a black painted breadstick. It had pine sprouts that the waitress fired up and blew out. The course was called "campfire." We each has our own campfire. Another course on a river rock was gritty.

I understand progressive recipes and I understand unique presentation, but this meal became a caricature of presentation, the food was secondary to the presentation. They went too far for me. There were other courses we do not mention, but themes were primary to all.

The chef is reportedly skilled, unfortunately that was hidden by the themes nad presentation.

We have a wonderful story and some laughs and I regret writing this review because the staff (hotel and waitress) was so wonderful and clearly believes in their product, but again the other night I had this nightmare about being fed dirt chips. I can handle a little dirt and will live, but I believe there is an inherent trust when one agrees to a tasting menu. For me that trust was violated and trust is fundamental when we dine out. Shame on me for my complacency during the meal.

If you go . . . ask what you are eating.

3  Thank Ralph R
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was the surprise highlight of our trip. The entrees look either too plain or strange on the menu, but when you eat them.... heaven. We tried, pickled golden beets with pickled cherries= divine, fried green tomatoes with nectarines, roasted chicken leg and grilled okra with eggplant mousse. The homemade sorbet and chocolate pot de creme was just literally the icing on the cake. Pricey, but much less than NYC and excellent quality.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

This is not your typical going out for dinner experience- at least, not the prix fix 6 course tasting menu we had. This was event dining. Each course was delicious, I tried several things I thought I would never try, and the service was wonderful. True, each course is tiny, but that is par for the course- I guess that's why they call it a " tasting" menu! Our wait staff was from Austria, Paris, and local, some fairly new to the restaurant, but they sought out an answer to our every question, even about what was playing on the CD. Someone complained in an earlier review that they couldn't understand why they needed a reservation if the place was fairly empty, but this a menu that is clearly prepared for the number of people they know are coming that night. At $85 pp it is expensive (wine paring adds another 75) but I felt it was well worth the cost- we just ordered a glass of wine instead pf the pairing and that was fine.Truly a gourmet experience.