“Was Wonderful - Big Improvements Required”

Bar Louis at Hotel Fauchere
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Louis at Hotel Fauchere is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 41 Restaurants in Milford
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
new jersey
“Was Wonderful - Big Improvements Required”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were here for the Music Festival. When I called early afternoon to ask about the times they serve for late lunch/dinner, I was told there would be Music all day on their porch for the Festival. We travel almost 2 hours to go here and in the past, it has been one of our favorite places to eat. The last 2 visits were borderline, but we decided to try it again due to the Music Festival.

We arrived about 2:30 PM and walked around a bit to enjoy the Festival. We then went back to the Hotel Fauchere to enjoy the Music on their Porch, but there was none as that group was only their for Brunch. We were not told this when we phoned.

The Delmonico Room was closed due to a Wedding Reception, so we went down to Bar Louis around 4:30 PM. When we arrived, we were handed a lunch menu, but we wanted dinner. We were told dinner was not served until 5:00 PM. We decided to have a drink and wait for dinner, which we did---but were disappointed that we bothered to wait. While we were waiting, we heard a customer complaining about how poorly the French Onion Soup was and that it was like eating a salt shaker. I have to tell you, prior to hearing this, one of our favorite things to have here was the French Onion Soup, but that was prior to our last visit. When we heard this, we realized that the Chef still didn't get the message as that was one of our complaints the last visit. We knew not to order or try this again.

Several years ago, we would always enjoy our meals here especially their French Onion Soup, Steaks and extremely delicious Calf Liver (my husband's favorite and they prepared it perfectly). Although we were disappointed in our last 2 visits with the service, menu and preparation, we decided that maybe it improved again especially if they read my other Trip Advisor reviews, so here we are to try one more time.

The service has not improved at all. Finally at 5:20 PM we were able to get the dinner menu, then it took 15 minutes to hear the specials. The menu and specials were poor. After waiting all this while, would you believe that the only safe thing we decided to order was a hamburger. I will say the hamburger was delicious and prepared properly, but we waiting 40 minutes to get it. All and all for the time we wasted at Bar Louis to have a hamburger instead of a dinner, we could have gone to the Milford Diner and had an excellent meal.

We have now given Bar Louis 3 more tries, we will not give it a 4th. The need a better chef, better menu and a big improvement on their service. They also need people who answer the phone and know what they are talking about. Extremely disappointed on an excellent place gone so downhill. Would not recommend going here. If you do, we wish you luck.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank janie51

Gananoque
“Expected more”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This was the second time we have eaten here and again were underwhelmed.
Our group of 5 we seated promptly without reservations, décor is nice and seating is well planned out with ample room for each.
Presentation of the entrées was good, the steak was chewy, the scallops were few in number and a little chewy as well, the pasta was very good.
Wine and beer selection above average soliciting a European feel.
Hostess accepted my observations with mild interest.

• Visited July 2014
winslow
“My Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We visited for dinner for my birthday. Milford was having a music festival and the town was very busy! Sat on the porch, which was very nice. The food was ok, not great, and VERY overpriced. The menu I looked at on line showed a variety of offerings that weren't on the menu when we arrived. We looked in at the bar/restaurant area downstairs and it was very noisy and dark, glad we picked the porch!!!

• Visited June 2014
State college
“Wonderful times at bar Louis”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have eaten about five times at Bar Louis and I always had a wonderful time. Ate at a back table with relatives once and enjoyed the large beer selection. At the time Chimay was unavailable. The bartender made another recommendation and it was great. I have also had drinks at the bar and yes the bar is small, but I enjoy the size of the bar. If I wanted a big bar I could go to a college bar!!!! I've had the truffle flavored frites and they were very good and the presentation was nice. I really enjoy the atmosphere at Bar Louis!!!

• Visited February 2014
Milford, PA
“Different little place”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Bar Louis is downstairs from Hotel Fauchere and serves burgers to dinners. Food is of the highest quality. Service is spotty. Eclectic modern atmosphere. Small bar, some high top tables by bar and more regular tables away from bar. Clean.

Visited January 2014