“"Our home for the holidays!"”

Longswamp Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mertztown
Ranked #1 of 1 Mertztown B&B and Inns
Long Island
“"Our home for the holidays!"”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We recently moved one of our parents to the Diakon Home in Topton, PA, during the Christmas holidays. During the week long process we stayed at the nearby Longswamp Bed and Breakfast because they were recommended. We stayed in the Lower Cottage. It was perfect for us- lots of room, kitchenette, amenities and a fireplace! Our accommodation was very clean and refreshed daily.
Breakfast was great with warm banana bread, fresh fruit, and a fantastic baked french toast! The owners were very friendly and helpful and made us feel right at home. They were able to point us to nearby restaurants, wineries and shopping.
We will be visiting our parents frequently and we plan to stay at the Longswamp every time! Thanks JoAnn and John!
Ted and Judy
NY

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ted and Judy J

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
York, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed only 2 nights, but it felt like we had a long weekend vacation, it was wonderful. We stayed during the October snowstorm and could not get out to dinner, but JoAnn provided us with a delicious meal, not normally included in the weekend. The rooms we had were very clean and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky M
Dallastown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Longswamp! JoAnn and John were so very hospitable... and especially accomodating! We were there, during the snow storm of October, and while there was intermittent power outages, JoAnn made sure that we were comfortable and well-fed. We could not have had better hosts! Food was outstanding, and if you stay at Longswamp, ask JoAnn if she can share her awesome "brown sugar bacon" recipe! We had everything we could possibly need in our room, and it was also extremely clean. We would highly recommend staying at Longswamp... we felt like we were home, AND very pampered!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vicki P
Olney, Maryland
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My husband I and I traveled from Washington DC to Longswamp B&B for a little rest and relaxation before his mountain bike race at Bear Creek. Unfortunately, we were giving the "Hideaway" as our room. The first thing that hit us was the overwhelming smell of mildew when we walked through the door. This tiny room looked and felt like a basement bedroom and was very dark and depressing. Two tiny windows were all we had and one had the AC unit in it. We turned on the AC and left the premises for several hours to try to get rid of the mildew smell, but it didn't work all that well.
The shower stall drain cover was loose and I hurt my foot on it, so moved the cover off the drain so I could shower. The shower itself was awful with a water saver device on it that spit out the water rather than shower water. Also, there were only a few outlets in the walls and we had to unplug the only two lights in the room to accommodate our computers and rechargers. The internet access does not work in that room and we had to take our computers outside on the patio to get access. Needless to say, my husband was upset as he is a computer consultant and is pretty much on call day and night.
We were very disappointed in the Longswamp B&B accommodations, but were told they were booked for the evening, so we had no other options. We left before breakfast because the smell in that room was more than we could take.
We have spent many years visiting B&B's up and down the East Coast and this is by far the worst of them all.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
LongswampOwner, Owner at Longswamp Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
We would like to respond to the review “Disappointed” as posted by laurieb223 of Olney, Maryland August 8, 2010. First and foremost, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at our B&B. We wish you had brought your dissatisfaction to our attention before you departed instead of complaining on the web, hurting our reputation and our income. We make every possible effort to meet our guests expectations but on the rare occasion when we can’t, we will make an appropriate adjustment to the bill or provide a gift certificate for a future stay. As a small business person yourself, I’m sure you can appreciate the harm you may have caused.

As to the narrative of your complaint, you did not provide the readers with all the facts. When you arrived at our door you did not have a reservation. You said you tried Bear Creek but didn’t want to stay there because they have a 2 or 3 night minimum. We have no minimum stay. We told you we had only one room left and we showed it to you before you decided to stay with us, as is our practice with all walk-ins. You were informed there was no WiFi in the Hideaway room but were welcome to sit in the Living Room of the Main House (we have since added our free WiFi reception to the Hideaway). After we checked you in, set a breakfast time, provided dinner suggestions & directions, we did not see you again. If you thought the room smelled of mildew or was “dark & depressing” and internet was necessary, why did you stay with us? We would have gladly directed you to other nearby hotels. You left in the morning without checking out (fortunately we had your CC#) and without breakfast. If you had mentioned anything about the shower head we would have made an adjustment on your bill. We have many repeat guests and literally hundreds of cards, letters and emails from satisfied guests. We have owned this B&B for 9 years.

We had no complaints about the shower head or drain cover prior to your stay. There was no “water saving device” as we do not pay for water, but we have replaced the shower head just the same. The Hideaway room is actually quite cozy with several amenities and many returning guests specifically request that room. As to size, it is our smallest room but it is by no means a small room. The bedroom is 15X12 and the bathroom is 10X4. Combined that is 220 square feet. There are two windows as well as a full glass door. The windows measure 32x21 and 28x34. The room has a queen size bed and includes a working fireplace, TV, minifridge, microwave and coffee/tea fixings. There are 5 duplex outlets in the room and an overhead light that is completely separate from the outlets. The ac unit is only 2 years old and we had no complaints about it before or since or since your stay.

For current rates and further information please visit our website or call us at 610-682-6197.

Owners,
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 19, 2010

I should begin this review by stating that my expectations were high. It seems that my entire family -- parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents -- have stayed at Longswamp at one time or another. I was spun stories of its charm, the great fireplaces, and the beautiful location. So when I had the opportunity to spend an evening at the Longswamp this past weekend, I was excited for a cozy and, yes, romantic evening in the Hideaway.

Unfortunately, Longswamp failed to meet my expectations and the descriptions of my family members. I understand that the bed & breakfast is under new ownership since they last stayed there, so that may explain a lot. The room we stayed in, while it did feature a fireplace, featured little else to help one feel comfortable. The bed was hard, the bed spread dated and itchy, the walls appeared to be in poor repair, and the bathroom was basic and very, very small. The hum of the loud minifridge woke me occasionally during the night, as did the footsteps and conversations of the guests upstairs.

As others have written, the breakfast was delicious and served in a beautiful, sun-lit room in the main house (even if we could hear the microwave rewarming it as we waited).

The innkeeper, however, was not terribly warm or welcoming. I have spent time in numerous bed & breakfasts around the world, and believe that a good innkeeper is the key to a successful stay -- someone who is kind and solicitous, present, but not pushy. I found the innkeeper to be very gruff. I felt as if I was disturbing her when I was in the main house. And when we asked her about the advertised special rate for the winter, she was extremely defensive about our apprarent inability to read the fine print and the fact that she could rent the room a dozen times over during the holidays (even rainly holidays where we were easily able to reserve a room the day before). We only sought to clarify the price, but her response left us a little let down by the Longswamp.

For $140, there are a number of other very nice hotels and B&Bs in the area, and my family and I will not be staying at the Longswamp again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Adventuress123
Wading River, New York
Reviewed January 15, 2009

We stayed at Longswamp for one night, we were in the area for the Kutztown Festival and on our way from NY to Lancaster, PA. We were very pleased with the room (The Barn Suite) - it was roomy and private for a family of 4. The kids loved that they were "sleeping in a barn"! The innkeepers were pleasant and warm -- not too fussy or standoffish -- they made you feel like you were staying with friends or family. They were very nice to our kids (not always a given at B&B's). The breakfast was totally delicious and they were accommodating to the kid's tastes as well, offering more fruit when my son ate all of his, and providing cereal when my daughter wasn't too sure she liked the hot entree after tasting it.
The main house is beautiful, but I did see it needed a bit of TLC on the exterior and I agree with the other review that the courtyard is lovely but would be phenomenal if given a bit more attention.
Overall, a really nice place to stay.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank MomOnTheGoNewYork
Texas
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I stay in Bed & Breakfasts whenever possible, and this one is one of the best I've ever experienced. The mansion is beautiful, awe-inspiring and spotlessly clean. The guest quarters in the other buildings have a less majestic atmosphere but are cosy, clean and comfortable. We stayed in the Barn Suite which was very cute and comfortable - except that although the mattress on the bed in the bedroom was very good, the futon bed in the living room wasn't very comfortable!! Not terrible, but it would be better for a child or teenager than a creaky adult :-) This was MORE than made up for by the beauty of the grounds, the friendly and helpful attitude of the innkeepers and the BREAKFASTS!! We were there for 5 days so got to sample a different delight every day.
I look forward to my next opportunity to stay there.

• Liked — The food & the innkeepers
  • Disliked — futon bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mertztown
Bear Creek Mountain Resort
Holiday Inn Conference Center Lehigh Valley
Wingate by Wyndham Allentown
Hilton Garden Inn Allentown West
Homewood Suites by Hilton Allentown-West/Fogelsville
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Allentown-Fogelsville

Been to Longswamp Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!