“Lesson Learned”
Review of Colonial Inn Motel

Colonial Inn Motel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Mercer
Reviewed October 1, 2012

DO NOT try to stay here! I wanted a clean, safe, comfortable motel for a short road trip and thought I had found it after reviewing a few "mom & pop" motels online. WRONG - their website is a total misrepresentation of what you see when you arrive. Ditto on the bad reviews. I knew immediately when I saw the room I couldn't stay. The door to the outside had a tissue paper plugged in the peephole and the door was crooked in the door frame, leaving a large enough crack that if it were snowing, you'd get some of that in your room! I always look at the mattress edges - they were filthy. Sheets? I wouldn't let my dog sleep on them. The overall feeling of the room was dark, dingy & dirty! When the woman at the front desk offered me a look at another room, I agreed because I was tired from driving - and hoping for the best. WRONG - it was just a bigger room with more of the same. When I asked to speak with the manager (Nick) to ask for a refund I was told he was not available but, since he had my phone number, he'd call me. I'm not holding my breath. Fortunately, I found a clean, comfortable motel 3 miles from there - a Comfort Inn conveniently located at I80.
Lesson learned - do your homework!

Room Tip: Do your homework and read as many reviews as you can from reputable websites. After my experience, I...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank ontheroad721
nvpatel1130, General Manager at Colonial Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

We have reason to believe this review may not be authentic and is likely to be written by our competition. For that reason we strongly encourage you visit a verified travel website such as Booking.com where the reviews are written by verified guests from the reservation website who have paid and stayed with us.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

That motel is extremely dirty. very old and dirty bed linens, broken toilet. very old and torn towels. Lots of spider webs and dust in the room, so that you cannot see yourself in the mirror inside the room. The room we had, seemed to be vaccumed and cleaned at least 6 months ago. I do not know why this motel with this terrible situation is allowed to continue to work. Is there any supervision on their activity? staying one night there was a nightmare. Do not go there even if it is FREE!!

Room Tip: Do not go there even if it is FREE!!!
3  Thank Miti416

We have reason to believe this review may not be authentic and is likely to be written by our competition. For that reason we strongly encourage you visit a verified travel website such as Booking.com or hotels.com where the reviews are written by verified guests from the reservation website who have paid and stayed with us.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

This motel was recommended to us by a couple of guys we met in a restaurant. It is one of the dirtiest motels I have ever stayed in. The edges of the carpet had obviously not been vacuumed in months, there was broken glass behind the dresser, there was a big clump of dog hair even though the manager told me this room did not allow pets. I had asked him because we heard dogs barking and I am very allergic. Additionally, the pillows were totally flat.

We should have stayed at the beautiful Comfort Inn right off the highway there, next time we will know better.

Room Tip: I would avoid this place all together
4  Thank Lola-in-MillburyMA
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This visit was our 1st family shopping visit to Mercer, Grove City, PA. All the hotels were fully booked at Grove City PA, and we were unable to get a room anywhere except Colonial Inn. After reading some of these negative reviews we were undecided. However in speaking with the Manager Nick Patel, he assured us a good comfortable stay, as they had recently renovated the hotel.

As far as we were concerned, we were going shopping all day, and we were not looking for swimming pools, suana, fitness centre, huge continental fatty breakfast, huge lobby, valet or the like. All we wanted was a safe, quiet place with a clean room, comfortable bed, clean bathroom, TV, wifi, internet, A/C, washing machine, small fridge and coffee maker, nice restaurants, peaceful surroundings to chill, at a reasonable price and good service.

COLONIAL INN DELIVERED AND WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND!. WE HAD ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES! AND HAD A GREAT COMFORTABLE STAY!

The Manager Nick Patel and the staff were indeed very helpful and provided excellent service 24/7. They also assisted us with printing route maps and advise on where to visit and shop. We even went to Butler, PA. All rooms have 2 exit doors and you can park right beside your room. It was very quiet and pleasant surroundings. We enjoyed the food at some wonderful restaurants such as Rachels, Iron Bridge and Elephant & Castle. It is just 10mins away from the busy Premium outlets and other malls.

I certainly would recommend this hotel, under similar requirements and we would definitely visit and stay here again.

Thank you Nick and Colonial Inn Staff
J.P.
Mississauga, Canada

Room Tip: I would book room directly thru hotel, communicate and ask questions to satisfy your requirements as...
1  Thank coolprag
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Upon check in, the rooms have wooden doors that you can see outside because of the crack in the door. Flushing the toilet is an experience, the toilet filled up with brown water, and the tank would not fill up to re-flush, this was explained to us as a breaker problem, this problem was fixed, but left us with light brown dirty water. I believe there are are families living in the room beside us, there were children running up and down the side walk most of the evening. The room smelt terrible, there was only 1 bar of tiny soap, no shampoo or conditioner. No coffee pot and the ice machine was broken at the time of our stay. Did not see the colonial breakfast when we checked out, not that I would have eaten in this place. I would not recommend this place to anyone we spent $79.99 and it was in no way worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Melanie S

Reviewed March 4, 2012

the whole hotel reeked of smoke despite paying extra for a nonsmoking room, the bathroom was disgusting with the heat radiator ripped out and leaving the bathroom even uglier, outside was trashy with ripped out sinks and paraphernalia, no coffee for the coffee maker??, no shampoo or conditioner, only two towels provided one with a very large yellow stain on it, and the website claims free colonial breakfast on weekends but there was no breakfast to be found when we looked. Oh...and to top it off our doors did not lock from the outside leaving us stranded in out room the whole time.

NOT worth 66 dollars, maybe would pay 30 dollars to stay here. the pictures really are decieving this is the worst place I have ever stayed at. Don't waste your money on this place...we could have spend 66 dollars on a much nicer hotel containing a MUCH nicer room.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Annette H
Reviewed October 30, 2011

when we pulled up to the hotel, my first thought was "OMG!" we were not given the option to use my husbands AAA discount. we were told by Nick we should have used that when we booked the hotel, not an option when you book online. the rooms were not what i expected, no heat in the bathroom, no hairdryer (which usually comes with every hotel we stay in), coffee pot in the room but no coffee or cups, and you have to clean up after yourself because they have no maid service. which is on a sheet in the room letting you know the rules of the hotel. we stay at a lot of hotels because of my husband business, WILL NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: don't go by the pictures advertised, looks are very deceiving. we feel it was very high false a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
9  Thank Nancy T
nvpatel1130, Manager at Colonial Inn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Ms. Terns,

Firstly we kindly ask you that you not bend the truth in spite of our inability to grant you AAA discount. The truth of the matter is we are not allowed to temper with any online reservations and their prices as they are made with our third party venders. Any changes to your reservations including any discounts must be addressed to your online vender such as expedia or hotels.com. For that reason we highly encourage all of our guests to make all reservations directly through our facility. Our records also indicate that we also granted you a free upgrade to a King size room as a courtesy. The very same room that appears in many of our photos. We kindly ask you to explain our future gests in depth how the photos had misled you.
Also you must understand that this is a budget hotel where you only paid $45 on Friday for a King size room. We do not have in-room hair dryer nor is it advertised anywhere about this amenity. However, we have hair dryer ironing set and shampoo in the main office for your personal use. However, we do not recall that you made any inquiry about these items. We have coffee pot in each room as a convenience to our guest so they can enjoy 24/7 coffee. However, the guests must bring their own coffee or the coffee must be purchased from the vending machine, which I informed you when you first checked in.
We also ask that you read our in-room motel policies very carefully next time as the same copy is available on our website for all of our perspective guests to crosscheck your claim. www.colonialinnmotel.org. And click "MOTEL POLICIES." It reads,

"You are expected to leave our rooms clean before departing. (Permanent Weekly Guests: We expect you to take out the trash and wash any dishes you use. Maid service is available only once a week for permanent weekly room guests.) A bill will be rendered for excessive dirtiness."

I don't know how you concluded that we have no maids working at our facility from this paragraph.
Please keep in mind, no disrespect is ever intended here. We only ask that you be truthful to our current and future gusts as they strongly rely on your honesty and input.

Best Regards,

Nick Patel
724-662-5600

Ms. Nancy,

Firstly we kindly ask you that you not bend the truth in spite of our inability to grant you AAA discount. The truth of the matter is we are not allowed to temper with any online reservations and their prices as they are made with our third party venders. Any changes to your reservations including any discounts must be addressed to your online vender such as expedia or hotels.com. For that reason we highly encourage all of our customers to make all reservations directly through our ficility. Our records also indicate that we also granted you a free upgrad to a King size room as a curtousy. The very same room that appears in many of our photos. We ask you to explain in depth how the photos had mislead you.
Also you must understand that this is a budget hotel where you only paid $45 on friday for a King size room. We do not have in-room hair dryer nor is it advertised anywhere about this aminity. However, we have hair dryer and ironing set in the main office for your use which we do not recall you ever asking us for. We have coffee pot located in each room as a convenience to our guest so they can enjoy 24/7 coffee. However, the gust mush bring their own coffee or the coffee must be purchesed from the vending machine which you were informed when you first checked in.
We also ask that you read our motel policy very carefully next time as the same copy is availble on our website for all of our perspective guests, www.colonialinnmotel.org. and click "MOTEL POLICIES." It reads,

I don't know how you concluded that we have no maids from this paragraph.

Please keep in mind, no disrespect is intended here. We only ask that you be truthful to our current and future gusts as they strongly rely on your honesty and accurate information.

Best Regards,

Nick Patel
724-662-5600

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mercer
Monroe Heights Hotel
Motel 6 Barkeyville, PA
Motel 6 Barkeyville, PA
#1 of 2 in Harrisville
Holiday Inn Express Grove City-Prime Outlet Mall

Been to Colonial Inn Motel? Share your experiences!