“Would never stay here again.”
Review of Comfort Inn Mercer

Comfort Inn Mercer
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Mercer
Reviewed October 31, 2007

The room was okay. The key to the outside door would only work a couple of times. Had other guestes let us in the door. Checked in on Friday and on Saturday went out to do shopping. Returned to the room and the garbage was not emptied. Soaps were not replace. Coffee pot still dirty. No replacement of coffee or cups. Shower was barely luke warm.
Day of check out I expressed my complaints, the woman at the counter was nice, but the guy behind the counter never once apologized for all of the listed above. He was very rude. I travel monthly for business and pleasure and have had many wonderful experiences with the employess at hotels. I have never been treated this way before. I was so disappointed and will never stay at that establishment again. To be spoken to in the manner in which I was, was very unprofessional and the gentlemen working needs education on dealing with people. He had no people skills.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Reviewed September 26, 2007

horrible place since the new owners took over....pool area including the pool and hot tub were filthy.......sauna did not work....hall ways were filthy not because of the remodeling but filthy in general....i always use to stay at this place but not any more because the new owners are making this place the worst motel i have ever stayed at.....

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank louseymotel
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We spent one night at this inn on the Labor Day Weekend. We wanted somewhere inexpensive as all we intended to do was shop at the Prime Outets in Grove City.

The Room: The facility itself was fairly old, judging from the decor and furniture. Washroom and bed were not too bad (The water pressure was amazing!!). The carpets not too bad either.

Location: This inn was conveniently close to the highway (I-79) and had a McDonald's, Burger King and Gas Station location directly across the street. There's also a restaurant attached to the inn. It's located about 10-15 minutes from the Prime Outlets in Grove City.

Extras: There was a pool, but I can't comment on it as I didn't have a chance to use it. Parking was free. The inn offered a complimentary breakfast which included bagels, cream cheese/jam/peanut butter, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, coffee, muffins and juice.

Customer service: The customer service was excellent from the front desk to the houskeeping staff. Very friendly and very helpful. Always had a smile on their face.

Overall: Not a horrible hotel. I would give it 1.5 -2 stars if rating it by hotel standards. Price was reasonable, staff was courteous and good location. Maybe when the Comfort Inn finally takes over the hotel, they will upgrade the decor and restaurant.

On my next trip, I would probably opt to stay at a hotel like the Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn that was closer to the Prime Outlets in Grove City. Most of the hotels were in the same price range, so I would like to experience a facility that was a little more convenient to the shopping area.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank madtrisha
Reviewed July 13, 2007

We had been visiting Mercer and the Howard Johnson's for over twenty-five years. This was our "great weekend get away." Howard Johnson's was responsible for putting in the lovely indoor swimming pool. Which by the way they kept spotless at all times. Howard Johnson's also had several outdoor games and tables set up for their guests as well; which the new owners do not. Since the NEW OWNERS have taken over they have destroyed EVERYTHING.

1. The new owners have TAKEN AWAY THE ROOM PATIO'S/sliding doors and replaced them with windows that DO NOT OPEN.

2. The RENOVATIONS have been going on for TWO YEARS NOW. There seems to be no end in sight.

3. The NEW OWNERS have taken away THE EXTRA SINK AND MIRROR that were located outside of the bathroom; which enabled two people to get ready at one time.

4. PETS are NO LONGER WELCOME.

5. The NEW OWNERS have BLOCKED direct access to the restaurant. Guest must now WALK OUTSIDE to enter the restaurant.

6. The swimming pool area is falling apart; no screens in the doors and the pool itself is dirty as is the hot tub. Most of the doors do not open.

7. Our room; which was newly remodeled???? was already in falling apart. The mirror on the door fell off. The toilet was not working properly. The carpet was stained.

The town of Mercer itself is DEAD. We truly believe this is in large part due to the fact that Howard Johnson's sold their lovely business. There is in old saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." Don't get me wrong; you must remodel and keep things updated and clean; however, taking away the patio's, the extra sink and mirror outside of the bathroom, the twenty four hour restaurant with salad bar and ice cream with access right from the motel, etc. was hugh mistake, as was not allowing pets.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank tripad123
Reviewed February 12, 2007

My daughter and I was in the area visiting Westminister College overnight. Since she had a dorm to stay in, I went in search for the closest hotel. Though I was advice to stay somewhere in Grove City, PA where all the hotels were, I chosed Mercer Inn.

When I approached the hotel, I thought to myself 'oh my what am I doing here'. This is an old Howard Johnson and soon to be a Comfort Inn. But right now, it was in the inbetween stage of franchising.

The lobby wasn't the greatest but the people were. I went to my room thinking the worse, until I opened the door. The room was great! Couldn't have been better. But the best part was their hidden jem indoor pool! Between that, the room and the price ($61.00 with 'AAA') I will now return again just to hang out at the pool.

Their heated indoor pool was a glass enclosure on a hill. It had a hot tub that you can easily go from hot tub to pool. There was a man-made waterfall paradise at the end of the pool. On the other end had a gameroom equipped with; pool table, hockey, tables, sitting area, other games and beautiful fireplace.

Another good part was that while everyone else was being scared off by the outside and lobby, I was the only one there to enjoy all of this. I loved it so much that I asked for a late check-out at Noon instead of 11am.

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank Serenity77
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Stayed there overnight, on a shopping trip to the Prime outlet mall. The location was quick enough off the highway, and then quick enough to the mall. The front desk was very friendly and even the cleaning staff were very helpful. Our room was nice, it has a pool, pool table and ping pong table. A restaurant on site. A McDonalds, and a gas station across the street. It even had a workout room. I thought for the price and location it was an excellent deal.

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank angyl12
Reviewed October 2, 2006

I recently stayed at the Howard Johnson Inn in Mercer, PA whilst in the USA for a friends wedding. My stay was for 4 nights. Parts of the Inn have been recently refurbished and other bits are still to do. Others in our party were in newly refurbished rooms and these were tastefully decorated and quite smart. We were in the unrefurbished part which did look a little tired in its decor (especially in the corridors, where wallpaper was loose etc) but the rooms were clean and comfortable none the less. Our room was a good size with a large bed, table and chair, rocking chair and a TV with a good selection of channels. We had an en-suite bathroom with sink, toilet, bath/shower, hairdryer and a coffee maker (which was strangely located in the bathroom!).

The hotel has a pool with a jacuzzi area. I didn't use this but my husband had an enjoyable swim. other amenities include drinks and snack dispensers, free internet access in reception, a pleasant seating area in the lobby and a friendly reception. Fresh coffee is available constantly to guests, free of charge.

For breakfast, there is a complementary buffet which offers juice, cereal, pastries, fruit etc. For the heartier appetite, a full breakfast menu is available in the attached restaurant at very reasonable prices (certainly compared to UK prices). The breakfasts are tasty and huge (you wont need to eat again til evening!). Service was great and friendly (especially our waitress Vicky). We didn't eat at/around the hotel in the evening so i cannot offer comment on this.

In addition to the facilities attached to the hotel, there is a McDonalds and Burger King directly across the road and a petrol station. The hotel is situated just off of Interstate 80 and a short drive from the centre of Mercer (you could walk it but the road has no pavement and is busy). In and around Mercer there are a few bars, restaurants, shops, petrol stations and fast food outlets.

In my opinion, the Howard Johnson Inn, Mercer is a friendly, comfortable and inexpensive hotel choice for the area. If you can, request a room in the refurbished part and I would recommend having a car as it would be very difficult to access the area and local facilities without one.

Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank R4845BOrebeccam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mercer
Comfort Inn
Holiday Inn Express Grove City-Prime Outlet Mall
Monroe Heights Hotel
Monroe Heights Hotel
#4 of 4 in Grove City

Been to Comfort Inn Mercer? Share your experiences!