“Beautiful Inn - Great Room, Great Service, Great Food”

Inn at Mendenhall, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mendenhall
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We planned a trip to Longwood Gardens and wanted to stay overnight. When looking for hotels, I started with my rewards cards to see which hotels were available so that I could receive points. The Mendenhall Inn is part of Choice Rewards. I checked out the website and the place looked great, had a restaurant and lounge. I called to book, got a room with a King size bed. The person on the phone was very friendly & knowledgable. He said that there were 2 weddings booked there for Friday night. I expressed my concern about noisy wedding guests in the hallways at night. He assured me that the place will be quiet and told me that he would give me a room away from wedding party. The hotel is located 5 minutes away from Longwood Gardens & very close to all the attractions of the area. We arrived at the Inn Friday afternoon, pleasantly surprised with the location and the Inn. Upon check in we were handed 2 bottles of cold water (nice perk) as I always bring bottled water with me, this was a pleasant surprise and I have never stayed anywhere that this has happened. Room was beautiful, and away from any noise or wedding guests. Desk clerk suggested several place to eat on Route 1. He gave us the specials menu for the restaurant at the Inn. We ate at the Inn restaurant and the food was delicious. My husband ordered the Prime Rib special and said that it was the best prime rib he has EVER had. You could cut it with a butter knife and it melted in your mouth. I ordered the Crab Cakes which were also delicious. Dinner was great! The room was great! The service was great! The Inn was very clean. Breakfast in the a.m. was complimentary & they had everything that you could want. I would definitely stay here again and have already recommended the place to someone that wants to go to Longwood Gardens.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Inn at Mendenhall, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Was driving south, and ended up being without a hotel due to a convention in town. I called and the desk clerk was very nice and helpful, and I got the last room. When I arrived, well after 1 am, he gave me a deal on the room, since the night was part way over. He was nice and friendly. Room was very clean, bed was very comfortable. Slept in the next morning, and the area/room was very quite. Was an excellent find for this very tired traveler. Would stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We did the Brandywine I package which includes Longwood Gardens. The value, room quality, front desk courtesy, and service were impressive. This was a great deal. The only negative I experienced was something that I observed with the breakfast staff members. A guest asked if an item was going to be refilled and the staff replied "Just wait lady"... as if to say hold your horses. Now, I could've seen only part of that exchange and she could have been a difficult guest, but I didn't see anything to prompt that short response.

I would stay here again and would recommend this place to my friends and family. And by the way... we arrived close to 9p. Every place to eat in the area closed at 9p except the hotel tavern. I hadn't eaten yet, so I ordered a burger and fries. Whoa! A half pound burger with mushrooms, onions, swiss, and bacon for $12 bucks. I took it to my room and slept happy.

Room Tip: Always request top floor rooms away from the elevator and highway traffic. You'll have peace an...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MMACM
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is an excellent venue for a wedding. Great food, beautiful room, great service. However guest rooms are tired and could use an update especially those that are handicapped accessible. They do a great job keeping the lodging section of the facility quiet even though there are often two weddings going on on any given weekend night. Beds are extremely comfortable.

Shower caps are not provided so if you use one bring your own!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our room was scrupulously clean and the linens (bedding, pillows) were very good quality. The front desk clerk was welcoming and efficient. Overall an excellent place to stay. The train line seemed to be very close by but the only time we heard it was mid afternoon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My daughter had her wedding in the Grand Ballroom of the Mendenhall Inn. Our party booked 26 rooms of this lovely property. It is part of the Ascend Collection, is a AAA 5 Diamond Hotel and Zagat rated. It was a lovely property but I wasn’t wowed. I am still trying to figure out why it is part of the Ascend collection?

The lobby is gorgeous, but the restroom in the lobby needs repair. There is a little sundry shop next to the lobby. It has just about anything you could need, but the prices were high. $12 for a six pack of Coors Light beer. However, it is about a ten minute drive to the closest store, so guests are pretty much stuck.

There are three areas with rooms. There are rooms in the main building, in the building with the restaurant and right next to one of the ballrooms further away from the entrance of the inn. We chose the latter because I am a smoker and it is a no smoking facility. With the rooms that are on the side of the restaurant building, it is a simple walk outside to enjoy a smoke. We stayed in room 144.

Room 144 was nothing spectacular. It had two doubles, but we knew about that. The room was equipped with a flat screen, fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, iron, ironing board, safe and two bathrobes. Some of the toiletries were actually from Bath and Body Works. There was a lovely lounge chair with ottoman. The A/C worked well. The water pressure was okay. It was an average room, nothing more and nothing less. Actually, the bathroom could do with a make-over. The way the towels were stacked was more suitable to Motel 6(see photo)

Because of the wedding, we received a reduced rate of $135. I can’t imagine spending the full price to stay here. The comp breakfast was on par with the Comfort Inn, but it had a pancake machine. Would we return for just a luxury stay? Heck, no! It fit the bill. We needed a room so we didn’t drink and drive. In my opinion, the Inn doesn't deserve to be part of the Ascend collection. There are far lovelier properties that cost list in this area.

Room Tip: You have to walk to the main building on the second floor to get ice. Do yourself a favor and bring...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank prizefromphilly
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Loved my stay here! Very nice spacious rooms. Great room rates. Quiet peaceful atmosphere all around. Breakfast options ok, nothing fancy. I'd highly recommend this hotel if staying in this area. Staff were nice enough but didn't seem overly anxious to talk. Restaurant across from hotel very fancy and great food. Bar area was more laid back.

• Stayed: August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendenhall
Brandywine River Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington - Brandywine Valley

Been to Inn at Mendenhall, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!