“Charming atmosphere, but food is not good”
Review of Mendenhall Inn

Mendenhall Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Mendenhall Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Mendenhall
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hillendale
Description: Dining at the award winning Mendenhall Inn stands alone as one of the great destinations in the Brandywine Valley as you return to a time of classic elegance & charm. Entrees borrowed from French & classic American cuisine make dining at The Mendenhall Inn a truly memorable experience. Enjoy our all new family night menu Sunday - Thursday. Outside dining, weather permitting.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The atmosphere of the dining room is quiet and charming, and the wait staff were pleasant.
I ordered Three from the Sea, an Ahi tuna steak, a crab cake, and 2 scallops. The Ahi tuna was overcooked and did not have much flavor. The scallops were also overcooked and there was too much sauce. The crab cake was OK.
My husband ordered the surf and turf, a filet mignon and 4 scallops with a side of mushrooms. The steak and the bearnaise did not have any flavor, and the mushrooms were overcooked and had a very strange flavor. I am an experienced cook and to me the flavor tasted like bad wine that was not entirely burned off.
The portions were generous and the quality of each item was good, but the preparation was not.

1  Thank ACK71

Reviewed June 3, 2013

To keep this review on the short side, I’ll summarize. The best part of the Mendenhall Inn was the food. Every one of us was pleased with what we ordered. The service was quite good, not overly fantastic but good. The surroundings are nice but nothing spectacular. And finally, the prices were reasonable for how nice everything was. I think that a repeat visit at some future time will be in order.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had tried to stay here at the Inn but unfortunately they were full, just 70 rooms for the weekend. We did however have dinner in the restaurant which was great. Watched the Kentucky Derby first in the very nice sports bar with bartender Ray very friendly. Bar snacks very tasty as well. Had dinner in the adjoining dining room was romantic and very pleasant. Old fashioned interior, piano player and all. Could not believe their special of surf and turf, lobster tail and steak just $25. Very large menu will please any palate. Signature deserts of Bananas foster and their own version of Irish coffee were a delight to watch the wait staff prepare, flames and all! Staff could not be more accommodating. Location is close to all historical sites. Reservations are a must especially on weekends and we'll definitely travel back from NY to enjoy this fine country INN!

Concordvillepa, Director of Sales at Mendenhall Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Mendenhall Inn Restaurant. I'm so glad you enjoyed the evening's dinner special. We have different specials each night of the week. Our experienced staff and Management team pride themselves in attention to detail, warm hospitality and exceeding customers expectations.

Next time you visit the area, please plan to stay overnight and dine at our Inn again!

Kim Pagliaro Bussard
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My sister & I enjoyed our delicious meal. My scallops (appetizer) were the best I've had, done perfectly. The chicken Oscar was great. The lobster tail was perfect. Our waiter was attentive but not over bearing. The atmosphere was pleasant & relaxing. I would highly recommend it.

1  Thank Mainemother
Reviewed April 28, 2013

. Our favorite server, Logan, has never steered us wrong on tips to the nightly specials. The crab cakes and seafood selections are always great but avoid the overpriced and bland desserts. On multiple visits to Winterthus, we have dined at the Mendenhall Inn. The atmosphere, service and food combine for a memorable experience.

Been to Mendenhall Inn? Share your experiences!