“Elegant atmosphere, delicious food, but pricey.”
Review of Mendenhall Inn

Mendenhall Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Mendenhall Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Mendenhall
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hillendale
Description: Dining at the award winning Mendenhall Inn stands alone as one of the great destinations in the Brandywine Valley as you return to a time of classic elegance & charm. Entrees borrowed from French & classic American cuisine make dining at The Mendenhall Inn a truly memorable experience. Enjoy our all new family night menu Sunday - Thursday. Outside dining, weather permitting.
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was our first visit to Mendenhall. We were very pleased with our selections and they were beautifully presented. If you want a delicious meal in an elegant restaurant with excellent service, then this is the place for you. Just be aware that it's pricey, most entrees are around $16 to $23 and up and that does not include a dinner salad or soup. My only disappointment was that the princess cut prime rib was not on the menu. Hope they bring it back. We were very please and can't wait to try it again.

Reviewed May 13, 2011

Over the years, my wife and I have enjoyed many wonderful dinners at the Mendenhall Inn—that is until this Easter Sunday. We had reservations at 4 pm with two other family members.

For some reason, we were not seated in the main dining area, but instead in the back of the buffet area near the kitchen. This area had no table cloths, no music, but it did have a noisy vent or fan. The nearby floor around the brick area was filthy and in clear view next to my seat. Then our server showed up and my stomach turned as her black uniform was stained all over with food. I found her so disgusting to look at that I went to the entrance to seek someone for help. Soon after we were arranged a different server with a clean uniform.

The food quality was good but not great. Many of the hot foods were at best lukewarm. The desserts were a big disappointment. All in all, I know I wasted more food than I ate. At $88 per couple, this was not an experience I ever want to repeat. On future holiday dinners out, my vote will be to eat somewhere else.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

This restaurant has been around quite a long time and is still a popular place in the area. My wife and I recently went with my parents for dinner. The reception area is fairly nice with some sofas and a fireplace and we were greeted nicely but had to wait a few minutes for our table on a very busy Saturday night.

The restaurant itself is growing a bit old in the tooth, with very busy patterned furniture and decorating. Not terrible, but pretty much what you'd expect to see in your grandma's house. The service is good, if not a bit too friendly and less businesslike than I prefer. The servers are wearing tuxedo's which is another pet-peeve of mine, but given that this restaurant strives for upscale it's not too bad. We were unfortunately seated right next to the piano player and it was a little intrusive. I like that they have live music, though when you are too close it gets distracting.

They have a small pre-fixe menu, usually prime rib or a fish that comes with a glass of wine; all entrees come with a salad. The salad, unfortunately appears to have been made hours ahead of time and stuffed into a fridge, and consists of lettuce and some slivers of carrots and maybe some other unrecognizable vegetables. The blue cheese dressing tasted institutional and I'd bet it came out of a giant plastic container. There is no way it was made fresh.

Entrees were OK; my lamb was cooked properly but terribly tough and gristely. The accompanying potatoes were OK but I didn't like the sauce at all. My wife had crab cakes which she always orders wherever she goes and she reported that they were just OK. Mom liked her fish and Dad always orders the prime rib and was happy with it. Desserts were the highlight and were very tasty.

I guess that I expect more of a place that has such a great reputation and a great following, but it felt like wedding food to me; pushed out of the kitchen fast and with little attention to detail or taste. The service was better than average, but not much. I feel like anybody under the age of 35 would be very unhappy eating here because it clearly caters to a much older crowd and the food is not exciting or innovative. And I think that's the problem; for this kind of money I expect something more.

1  Thank 2travelmeister
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Have been dining at Mendenhall at least 10 years now. We've only had one experience where the food and service weren't great. Since it is a bit costly, it is hard to excuse even one mishap, but the atmosphere and cuisine are good enough to keep us coming back! My husband often gets the $35 tenderloin/prime rib/lamb entree they usually have and it's well worth the money, very good. We love the bananas foster prepared tableside complete with flames and dramatic presentation. The main diding room often has a live paino player which is nice. The outdoor garden/patio is always a pretty place for a summer dinner. Nice presentation, always classic and traditional so if you want fusion or trendy try elsewhere (Brandywine Prime or The Gables where it's trendy over tasty all the time). Mendenhall is consistent flavorful fare in a plesant atmosphere, with occasional surprises on the specials list or per season, which make repeat visitors even happier. -- We have family who stayed in the adjacent guest rooms while in town, who found it nice enough for repeat stays.

Reviewed July 3, 2010

Whether it's a good meal or a sweet sleep, The Inn at Mendenhall will just delight you. A lovely spot hidden just within the trees and quiet and quait. The front doesn't look anything like the brochure but for a step back in time, this is it! The dining hall is nicely layed out although parties of 25 will be quite cramped in the smaller dining room in front. But the food makes up for that! Service with a smile and clean, modern restrooms too. Hang out in the lounge of the Inn and if that doesn't make you glad to be on vacation, just go to your room. Two thumbs up!

1  Thank babesbarn

Been to Mendenhall Inn? Share your experiences!