“More than trees”
Review of Tyler Arboretum

Tyler Arboretum
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Media
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is my favorite arboretum in the Philadelphia area. Yes, the trees are beautiful, and the walks are great. But the treehouses (interesting to young and old) are so much fun, they make the park unique, so glad they kept them up after the initial exhibition. You don't have to climb to enjoy them, and if memory serves me, you can walk (or roll?) into at least one. The woodland walk with the fairy houses is a new favorite, and the lilac bushes and hammocks are a special corner of the world. Critters abound in the pond, and I believe that the pond observation deck is wheelchair friendly also, as are several paths. I've never been there at the right time for the butterfly house, but hear it's also a must see. Their pumpkin festival is one of the best for young children. Call to see when the azeleas or rhododendron are in bloom. Longwood Gardens has gotten too expensive for me, I go to Tyler, so much more LAID BACK but lots to see and do. My favorite place to go for Mother's Day.

There are newer reviews for Tyler Arboretum

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Beautiful property with 650 contiguous acres and 17 miles of hiking trails. The Arboretum’s collections include rare plant specimens, ancient trees and historic buildings. Walks are on level trails, and there are quiet trails away from the crowds as well as the more populated trails where families tend to visit, because of the unusual tree houses constructed throughout. The only disappointment was the structure advertised as a 'butterfly house'....basically a clear structure with a few plants and only one butterfly in the entire thing. I've been to others where there were swarms of butterflies, so this was the only let-down in our visit. There is a fee, but I used a Groupon offer for half price at the time. You can join as a member and have unlimited visits, and if you live nearby, you might enjoy having access to it at your convenience. We were there this summer, but i would love to come back in late spring when more things would be in bloom there.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I've lived near here for over 10 years and never visited. I chaperoned a field trip and learned what I've been missing! The grounds, of course, are gorgeous. I learned so much history and so much about trees and plants. The guide we had was very knowledgeable and good with the kids. I'll definitely go back to see what else I've missed!

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to Tyler Arboretum. My fiancé and I love botanical gardens and being in the outdoors. I had read the reviews and knew we shouldn't expect the caliber of a Longwood Gardens but we were still a little disappointed. There were plenty of walking trails but a lot of the areas appeared to be overgrown. We weren't expecting the manicured areas of Longwood Gardens but maybe something a little different. All in all the weather was beautiful and we plan to try another visit after the butterfly exhibit opens since we are in the area.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Not as many formal gardens as say Longwood (and more trails vs paths so recommend sneakers vs open toed shoes). Lots to see, very well maintained and can be done in a few hours if you don't take any of the trails outside the fenced in area.