“Will go back”

La Belle Epoque Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
La Belle Epoque Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 120 Restaurants in Media
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Olive Street
Transit: Bus, Trolley and the R3 Septa Regional Rail are all readily available.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Downtown media has a few great spots to eat, this is one of them. The La savoyarde crepe is delicious . . . Gotten it repeatedly. Cozy atmosphere, great bartender ! The only negative is that the hostess is not very friendly and takes her time seating you.

There are newer reviews for La Belle Epoque Cafe

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Each year for our birthdays we choose a new restaurant we want to try. My choice is La Belle Epoque, a French restaurant in Media, PA. I have been there for lunch and was very interested in trying their dinner menu.
Do not be intimidated by this French restaurant, it’s relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff attacks families, couples, and businessmen alike.
We agreed to start the meal off with a Plateau de Fromages (cheese tray with homemade jam, cured sausage garnished with dried fruit and nuts) and escargot (yes, snails). Do not worry, you do not need to understand French, the menu has descriptions of the dishes in addition to the staff who can answer and make recommendations.
We chose the escargot because we have never had it before and thought this would be the time to try. They were served, out of the shell, in a garlic and parsley butter sauce. If you enjoy other shell fish, like clams or mussels, you will enjoy the snails, we did.
This restaurant is known for their crepes, and that is the direction both of our adult children chose; La Brie and La Canard. These wrap style sandwiches are made with their wheat crepes. La Brie with fresh basil, brie and bacon was a combination of creamy, tangy and salt. The La Canard was filled with duck confit, walnuts, pears, sage and fontina cheese; there is nothing left to say about this but yum.
My husband had the Boeuf Bourguignon, a rich beef stew served over mashed potatoes. This homey, heartwarming dish was so good; he did not want to share with anyone. I went with the Canard a la Framboise, duck cooked to perfection with crispy skin served with a raspberry sauce. The sauce did not over power the dish, but bolstered the duck with its hint of sweetness.
Ah dessert, one of our favorite things; we normally don’t order appetizers and dessert, but everything tasted so good, we just couldn’t pass this up. Tiramisu; yes, we know this is an Italian dessert, but it was good. Molten Chocolate Cake; at other restaurants this is usually bland; this cake was full of chocolate flavor and creamy richness. Crème Brulee; creamy topped with crunchy caramelized sugar, another success, and the Chocolate Mousse which was smooth and rich.
Next, I want to try their brunch.

1  Thank Kathy K
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Very relaxing restaurant with amazing crepes! Great wine selection also. One time I had a concern and I brought it to the owner's attention and he immediately responded to me and gave me an offer to come back again. Great customer service!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Have been here several times over the years. With 2 other couples last weekend.

The menu is exactly the same as it was 5 years ago. My wife and I just looked at each other in amazement---really? deja vu dining???

Hanger steak and pomme frites...French staple...done nicely, but no attempt at creativity.

The Mussels Mariniere were done in a new way...with tomatoes---never had that before...more like a thick salsa vs the traditional sauce (which on previous trips was the star of the meal for me). But hey, it was diff.

Friends liked their dinner. Wine was ok per their commentary. Wait staff excellent...attentive, knowledgeable and not too "attitudinal".

Cost was appx $115.00 for 2 with a couple drinks/wine and tip. Fair price...just not as imaginative as possible.

Interior designed well..nice space...is indeed a reminder of Paris bistros we have seen and eaten in...ok once in a while...just don't expect new and original.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

The first time I visited La Belle Epoque last year, my experience was marvelous. The Duck Confit Cassoulet was over the top incredible. Our friends who live in Media took us to this wonderful place. The service was incredible and the food amazing. This year, as we returned to visit our friends La Belle was the first stop. My palate was awaiting the wonderful food. We were greeted with a very ho-hum attitude and given a very poor table, even though the place was almost empty. We switched tables and the slide down began. We ordered the French Onion Soup that was completely unrecognizable as such. It tasted like watered down beef broth with a few boiled onion sliced thrown in and topped with toast and SLICED cheese. Just plain nasty. Then came the mussels...........poor and tasteless. The Salade de Confit de Canard was hidious! The duck was very, very old and tasted so very horrible. We wanted to send it back but did not want to offend our friends. The crepes were so stiff and ugly they were like burrritos. What happened here?? We will not return to this place again. The staff was arrogant and the service so disruptive to a pleasant evening. The server kept reaching across my plate as I was eating, never have I had this experience before. The horrific.............. a real shame.

2  Thank Emil F