“A Landmark, though food & service are so-so”
Review of D'Ignazio's Towne House - CLOSED

D'Ignazio's Towne House
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I grew up in Media, but have lived away for many years. Babe's place is still a landmark, but the experience is only average. Our group of five was celebrating a birthday on a weeknight. Restaurant was not particularly busy. We made sure we had reservations, and reserved a birthday cake dessert for the occasion. Service was poor - we hardly ever saw our waitress. After the first wine from the bottle, we had to pour our own. At one point I asked for more water, but never got it. The worst part was having to remind them that we were supposed to get the birthday cake - they had forgotten.

1  Thank USMA74

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I remember the Town House from the Sixties, not much has changed except the prices and the presentation. I recall great beef - more than you could eat, spectacular fresh salad and a unending selection of good homemade Italian Food.

Well the beef has been down sized, the Italian Food is not as good as I recall but still acceptable. The Towne House is more of an institution that a trendy or restaurant.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We had a group dinner for 25 in a private room on a Saturday evening. The room was fine, set up with a U shaped table arrangement. It was quiet and ideal for the reunion of old friends. The two person dedicated wait staff were attentive, courteous, efficient and unobtrusive; excellent support.
The dinner was served off the menu and there were of course several specials.
My dinner was the special Osso Bucco, one of my favorites when you can get it, and as a special I thought it stood a chance to be, well, special. The wait staff were not familiar with the dish, but I knew what it should be so ordered it.
The meat portion was generous and was cooked appropriately. However it was completely overwhelmed in a rather pungent onion sauce. Nevertheless it was a tasty when the sauce was "managed". But the rest of the plate was dreadful. The green beans were "industrial" and the "baked potato" a disaster. It was one of those "prepared" affairs with half a potato (I can only guess that it was) in foil, with the center mashed and finished in something yellow with tram lines; originally cheese I guess. It was completely unedible. The yellow stuff was tasteless and the center tasteless and dry. The "skin" a part I usually eat, was like a piece of stiff cardboard; hard to cut and impossible to eat. Now to me one of the joys of Osso Bucco is the bone marrow, and it is customary to provide a small fork with which to remove this delicacy. Not so here, a knife had to do the job, but I must say the taste of that morsel was indeed delicious.
My wife had a crab in cheese sauce dinner, also with beans and "baked potato". Her house salad was running with the dressing (ok, in hindsight she should have ordered it on the side). The crab was overwhelmed with the cheese sauce, and her experience with the vegetables the same as mine.
The Towne House has been an institution in Media and we have been eating there occasionally for over fifty years, but I must say it has not been a go-to place with us for a very long time. It has only been meetings, reunions and Professional Society dinner meetings that bring us back, not the food.

1  Thank Dave H
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The food was nothing special, but our chief aim was a quiet spot where we'd be able to enjoy being with our friends. We found it at the Towne house. Prices are reasonable, and we were able to eat outside on a beautiful evening.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Towne House has been around a long time. Been to dinners, weddings, rehearsal dinners, and banquets there. The food has always been consistent and delicious. Really never had a bad server, either. If you want a "sure thing," this is the place to be. Have a good lunch and take the time to shop in Media. You're sure to enjoy it.

1  Thank kesujory