“A mixture of good and bad”
Review of Generations Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Generations Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Providence Road (Rt. 252)
Transit: The Media Trolley Station and local bus stops are conveniently located nearby.
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
“A mixture of good and bad”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I recently heard that a restaurant my wife and I liked in the past was now a new entity. We decided to try the Generations restaurant, which has an attached barroom (the “Drawing Room”) that features dancing on some nights of the week and a poker game one night.
I stopped by one night, Wednesday, when the poker game was in progress to see what the “action” was and how the restaurant was set up. I also wanted to know if we would need reservations for a Saturday when the dancing is a DJ from a Bala Cynwyd station, WOGL. I should have taken a clue from that drop-in visit. There was no one in the restaurant, three persons at the bar, and a table of five players at the “poker session” dealt to by a poor card handler who seemed confused by the whole process. I was told that reservations might be needed some nights and not on others. In short, they don’t have a very steady trade and every night is different and can be from crowded to empty (as I found it that night).
Okay, we made reservations and went on Saturday.
The joint, as they say, was jumping. I’d estimate the restaurant as 80% full and the barroom about the same. People were coming and going at a fair clip, so waits were minimal. The dance floor, which is larger than many restaurant spaces we’ve been to, was emptied of the poker table and a sofa that had been in front of the fireplace.
When we were seated we were pleasantly greeted by an efficient waiter. I noticed a sufficient wait staff working quickly at about 5-7 tables each. The restaurant rooms had been rearranged (with some construction work removing a bar area I’m sure I remembered) so the place is spacious and had attractively decorated with walls of bookshelves (built-in). The floor rug looked overly worn and dirty, however, so I don’t think that got changed from the old place (which, BTW, was The Little Inn).
So far so good. The reason we went was to eat and dance. Eating was easy. The menu has some good things on it and prices are moderate. Service was quick, although we had to wait a bit for rolls. I don’t understand why. They were packaged rolls that should only need opening to get out. They were served in a nice basket with a cloth napkin wrapping them. But they were not warmed, so I don’t know what the napkin was all about. I always thought it was to keep the bread product warm. I felt it was a bit misleading. Another misleading item is the picture shown in this listing. I didn’t see anything like that, at least in the room where we ate!
Dinner was French onion soup for me, a seafood platter (one of my test dishes, plus I like seafood), and my wife had her crab cakes (she really likes them). The French onion soup was pleasing, really loaded with onions and only a bit of bread. The cheese was okay. The seafood was good. Although there is some small differences in cooking time for the various selections, they were all properly done and tasty. You can check out the descriptions of our dishes (and everything else they serve) and also explore other sittings at http://www.generationsmediapa.com . It looks like they have a lot to offer, and we will try to check it out. My wife reported that the crab cakes, however, were mostly filler and could have used more crab.
We were actually too full to try dessert, and it was also time to start the dancing. After paying, we stood for a while at the dance floor, but there was no action there. Apparently the DJ either forgot or was held up for a while. We left.
In summary, I felt the restaurant lacked a certain control over some details of presentation and scheduling (oh that rug! And where was the dancing?) but everyone I saw seemed to be having a great time. The food has promise and there is a wide choice and a tempting Sunday brunch buffet offered, so I wouldn’t write this place off just yet. It could be a fairly good bar/restaurant for locals.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank magicmaker51

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
“Great place for our reunion”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We held our 20th high school reunion here and they did a wonderful job. They accommodated the budget we had for the menu, and allowed us to adjust the time slot for the room. Bathrooms could have been a bit cleaner, but everything else was great!

• Visited October 2012
Media, PA
“One and Done”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We have tried most pizza places in Delaware County, and this, by far, was the worst. We're regretting not just picking up a few english muffins, some sauce and a hunk of cheese. That's just the half of it. The entire process of picking up the pizza is an enormously confusing hassle. The restaurant has tangled itself up into three names - Generations, The Drawing Room and Pizza Pub. As other reviewers have stated, you pick up your pizza at a dirty bar where an annoyed bartender puts you on hold and a less than desirable bar crowd all stares at you because you're just standing there looking ridiculous waiting for food to come out. Now, I have to admit, I went against my instincts on this one. The location just feels off, there's never a normal congregation of cars in the lot during dining hours, and I've never heard a positive review be it word of mouth or otherwise. But, it was getting late and this place isn't far. We had massive food regret. However, if you love cheap ingredients such as sour sauce and crust that tastes exactly like Ellio's, then go for it.

• Visited July 2013
Media, Pennsylvania
“Good food, terrible service.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I ordered takeout pizza from here because a menu was left at our door. When I went to pick it up, I was not sure where to go as this is a somewhat large establishment. I asked the hostess where the carry out area was and she explained it to me, but her tone seemed agitated that she had to do that. The takeout area is in the bar, I wouldn't have brought my 2 year old with me if I had known that. Next, when I told the bar tender I was there to pick up my order, he said he'd be right with me, but then spent the next 10 minutes filling the drinks for patrons at the bar. When he finally spoke to me, that was when I learned that my order still wasn't finished. Why does it take so long to prepare 2 pizzas? Finally I got out of there and back home to find that the pizza was delicious, but unfortunately after my experience picking it up I do not expect to return.

A little word of advice to Generations, if you are going to offer take out, have a counter dedicated to it.

• Visited November 2012
Media, Pennsylvania
“Totally mismanaged”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stopped by Friday night for happy hour. The only happy one was the manager who sat at the
bar drinking with anyone she could corner as well as texting or playing games on her phone. The poor bartender was waiting on both the bar, although not crowded, and the patrons outside while the few waiters/waitresses we saw hung out in the dining room (there was only one table of 3 to wait on). The bartender served all take-out orders, which were brought out missing items, luckily the customer checked before leaving. Bartender also had a few cocktails with the manager, while working. This place is so unprofessional. The location could be a gold mine but nobody in the place cares. All the renovations that were done since it was the Little Inn was just a waste. Rumor has it that the place is for sale so I guess the owner is just waiting to get out which we all can't wait for that to happen. Good riddence!

• Visited June 2013