“Not 'HoHum-mus'!”

Desert Rose
Ranked #9 of 124 Restaurants in Media
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Israeli
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Chef and owner, Jason McHugh, takes basic mediterranean cuisine and makes it oustanding. His ingredients are fresh, his seasoning is wonderful and the flavors blend and compliment each other perfectly. This is the best hummus I have ever had - And when I heard how he makes it (l-o-n-g process), I understood why. Desert Rose is small and informal and you can watch most of the preparation. The chicken shawarma is roasted slowly on an open spit and if you get the platter, you would be sad to finish the generous portion of chicken - except that you can continue to enjoy the underlying bed (also generous) of that terrific hummus with the accompanying, warm, baked on-site pita and a crisp cucumber/tomato salad. I wish I lived closer and could return often - But I'll surely go back every chance I have.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Desert Rose is a small, unassuming restaurant on the far end of State St with some of the best Meditteranean food you will ever have. The chef is not only very particular for fresh food made from scratch, but he is also a hands on owner who goes out of his way to accommodate you. The pita bread is freshly made to order, served still warm from cooking, with a delicious texture and flavor unlike any I've ever tasted. The chicken shawarma is so moist and so flavorful, paired with the pita is a must have sandwich. Crunchy falafel with silky hummus makes for the best vegetarian meal that I've ever had. Side salads are fresh, crisp, and delicious! One if the things that I love about this food is the skillful and creative use of seasonings that develop such intense flavor without depending on too much salt as has been my experience with other Meditteranean restaurants. Over multiple visits, the food quality has been consistently high. The prices are unbelievably reasonable so the best food in town is also the best bargain in town. Save room for the baklava!

1  Thank Theshortchef

Been to Desert Rose? Share your experiences!