“You Say Seafood, I say Potato”

Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 124 Restaurants in Media
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S Monroe St
Reviewed February 21, 2013

First visit in over a year and maybe they had a bad night. The Queen ordered the seafood pot pie but it should have been called potato pot pie, because there was no seafood. Being the trooper that she is, no complaints until we all completed our meals. The manager was very apologetic about it and agreed that this issue seemed to be recurring, and made sure to remove this from the check.

The King's New York strip steak was smothered in their special steak sauce - not sure what kind of sauce it was. Probably much better without the sauce, like the last time. Probably should have known better to order a steak at a steak house and not at a micro brewery. Next time I'll go for something very plain, like a salad. Still can't go wrong with the gumbo soup, but still not as good as last time.

I suspect that things have changed here, but not for the better according to my tastebuds.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Iron Hill is a trendy place that decorates their plates beautifully. You do not want to eat the food because it looks so pretty. They have nice beer selections from the microbreweries.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Seems strange to take my kids to a brewpub, but we've been there twice and had good experiences both times. Once last summer on a hot Friday evening, we had a reservation and the service was prompt and cheerful. The food is imaginative and well prepared. I tried a couple of Belgian-style beers, which were quite good. We also went recently for lunch on a Sunday with another family and had a similar experience of good food, served promptly.

The kids' menu is one of the better ones I've seen. It gives the kids many options, both healthy and traditionally fatty (chicken fingers). I've seen plenty of other kids there, from babies on up, and all seemed happy and content. Of course we were there early for both meals, and I expect that as the time gets later the crowd becomes more grown up. It certainly didn't feel like a kid-oriented atmosphere, simply one that accomodates children well.

We found the temperature to be appropriate both times we were there, summer and winter. It was quite loud that Friday night but pleasantly calm on Sunday. I would warmly recommend Iron Hill to anyone.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had lunch on a Friday. It wasn't very crowded and we were seated at a table in the dining room, closest to the bar. It was pretty drafty and the fluctuations in temperature were pretty distracting.
Our server Healy, brought us our sodas. My wife ordered a sparkling water but got a wine glass without any ice so she had to request that. My wife ordered the hamburger salad, which is a garden salad with a hamburger party on top. She has had it before and enjoyed it. I selected the cheese plate as an appetizer and the Friday special of the grilled chicken salad, which is a piece of grilled chicken on top of a bed of spinach with bacon, roasted almonds, carrots and a spicy pepper dressing.
We waited about 20 minutes and still hadn't received our cheese plate.We were both very hungry at this point and getting a little impatient. I stepped away from the table for a brief moment and upon my return, our meals had arrived. My wife refused the cheese plate, even though it was now complimentary due to the oversight, because we really wanted to enjoy it while we waited for our meal.
Both of our salads were fine, if not ordinary. My wife's burger was done to her liking and was tasty. She commented that it was good, but nothing fantastic. My salad was okay. The dressing seemed to be poured on the bottom of the salad bowl and the other ingredients thrown on top. Again, it was okay- nothing exciting but my grilled chicken was tasty yet could have been cut better.
Overall, we were both hungry and although the meal seemed to satisfy us, the service could have been better.
We have many friends who love Iron Hill and although we are not craft beer fans, we eat here on a regular basis. The atmosphere is very appealing, it's location is ideal and the prices are very affordable. Yet we always seem to have an issue with service or our expectations of the food. Either our server isn't as punctual as needed or our orders take longer than expected, and too often the food is average. We never leave saying to ourselves that the food was really good and that we have to have that again the next time we dine there. Yet we keep going back, expecting that the next visit will be the one to convince us that the food is the reason we return, not its location and atmosphere.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great atmosphere. Good food. Wonderful beer! Cajun gumbo yummy and sweet potatoes fries with the cinnamon dipping sauce! You can't get enough of!