“Tucked away”

Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Media B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Tucked away a country road a mile or so outside of Media, PA proper, lies this terrific B&B. According to the lovely lady who greeted us at the door, the place was a converted barn, created by an architect for his own home. Later bought by the current owner's family, the son has converted the place into its current form. Rare among B&B's, this one featured a room with two beds which was the selling point as I was traveling with my son to visit colleges in the area. Our room was small, very clean, with a small LCD TV, free WiFi, and a shared bathroom with another room. Breakfast was cooked to order ... we had pancakes, sausages and eggs ... everything fresh and friendly. Downstairs features an extensive living area with a large TV and the dining area. I think that there was a pool but it was raining ... didn't check it out. Two very friendly dogs roam the grounds and house. Very friendly, clean, understated. Paid 110 for the room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 6, 2011

Thanks to Roland and friends for a truly memorable couple of days in your beautiful bed + breakfast. Nestled in a beautifully sculpted garden, the accommodations are as thoughtful as they are artful. We felt immediately at home. My husband and kids give the breakfasts a full 5 -star rating. Wonderful place, incredible people. We're fans for life.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2011

My fiancé and I stayed in the master suite. The room was spacious, the bed incredibly comfortable. innkeeper was hospitable and inviting. Generous and delicious breakfast offering. Highly recommend staying at this B&B.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Stayed here with my husband and 10 yr old daughter while visiting friends and family near Philadelphia.
The location was perfect for when we had to jump on the Blue Route to get anywhere. Roland and Judy were fabulous hosts and Roland let us snoop around to the recording studio upstairs. The common room with fireplace was amazing in its decor - a perfect place to hang out in the winter.

We stayed in the Rock Garden Cottage. This had a private bedroom for my husband and me and our daughter got the daybed just off the living area. There was a full kitchen we used to heat up leftovers and make tea. My daughter made use of the DVD player to wind down, and they had a bunch of DVDs we could borrow.

Breakfast every morning was amazing. I was on a strict diet at the time and Judy couldn't have been more accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2010

This is a lovely place, hosted by 2 of the friendliest people I ever met, Roland and Judy. As an avid gardener, I really appreciated the beautiful gardens and landscaping. I was there in August, and the garden was full of butterflies. The converted barn is delightful inside, like an indoor treehouse on different levels. I really enjoyed my stay here. I had something different for breakfast each day, and everything was great. Judy, your freshly baked Raspberry White Chocolate Muffins were fabulous, I still think of and yearn for them months later!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 24, 2010

My six year old daughter and I booked Otto's room (2 twin beds) for a 4 night stay. The Alpenhof is very conveniently located yet in a forested, residential area thus quiet. While I was hesitant to have to share the bathroom with one other room, it turned out just fine. Breakfast was a real treat, not only for the delicious fresh baked muffins & fresh fruit (including BIG blackberries) everyday but also for the full monty when it came to the hot breakfast. They even made my daughter heart-shapped pancakes. Judy and Roland make a wonderful team and the history of their house going back to the 1600's makes for interesting breakfast conversation. Their black walnut furniture is quite special.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank marcolinifan
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My sister booked the extended family into the entire property for her son's wedding, and it couldn't have been more ideal. Roland and Judy were gracious, flexible and helpful with giving directions to all of the out-of-towners trying to find the church, the reception hall, a drug store for some last-minute toiletries... The ample breakfasts sustained us till dinnertime as we rushed around doing wedding things. Friday and Saturday nights, they agreed to keep the front door open a little later than usual to accommodate our post-festivity return. On Sunday, they welcomed the rest of the family for a late-morning goodbye, providing muffins and coffee for all. These two obviously take their role as innkeepers very seriously (but with wonderful grace and humor), doing everything they can to assure a pleasant stay. If you are going to spend time anywhere near Philadelphia, or just want to enjoy a weekend away in the wooded outskirts, this is the place!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank 2ndHalf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Media
The Inn at Swarthmore
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel
Courtyard Philadelphia Springfield
Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley

Been to Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!