“I was worried about this hotel.”

Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Reviewed August 3, 2013

When I booked via Hotwire I checked on the reviews for this property. I noticed several negative comments. Several noted this is not a 3 star property. I would agree with that. This is an old motel (door to outside - park by the room). The place is HUGE. I would not even be able to guess how many rooms this property has. The check in area is beautiful, but the room was not. The musty smell entering the room was the first sign. As a rule when we get to a hotel room we clean with antibacterial wipes. Some of the surfaces we cleaned had not been touched in quite a while. There were spider webs in the corners, no shower liner, just the curtain, so water could spray out while the shower was used. The room was dusty/dirty in general. We got a special sheet thanking for booking with Hotwire, offering a free bottle of water, free local calls, and 25% off at the restaurant. Based on our experience in the room, the restaurant would be the last place we would visit. People coming in at 2am did not help, the walls are very thin. On the plus side, the pool (indoor and outdoor) were nice areas, but the general condition of the property is lacking. I really think this property is trying, but there room for improvement. When I book a 3 star property, we have basic expectations that were not met here. When you use Hotwire, you are flying somewhat blind. I rely on the star system to know what I am purchasing, since you don't see the property name until the purchase is complete. We have not had issues before, but this experience will make us much more hesitant to book with Hotwire going forward. This is a 2 - 2.5 star property.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back while closer to the highway, would likely be quieter than the rooms up front b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
mccordd, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for your response as we truly value feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the benefits we extend to our Hotwire guests. I am truly sorry that your stay was not what you expected. Please reach out to me at the property should you have any further concerns, 717 697 0321.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was a friendly place, trying to get good feedback. Unlike most places it welcomed Priceline customers and it offered them (my wife and I included) a free bottle of water and discounts in the restaurant and bar. The room was clean and quiet. Though we didn’t use them I especially liked the picnic tables that were set up here and there in nearby wooded areas and other places. It made it feel like a friendly place and family friendly. I have no complaints. We had a very nice stay. Still, I too do not understand why it is classified as 3-star, 2.5 seems more realistic. It is a big old-style two-floor park-in-front-of your room place. It calls itself a hotel but really it is a motel.

Room Tip: Ask them for their best room. Staff is there to please.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
mccordd, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you so much for your review.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

After finding an incredible deal for "a 3-star hotel" on Priceline ($52 a night), I couldn't resist booking it. After it was revealed that it was the Park Inn, I immediately checked reviews of the place and was a little worried when I saw some negative ones.

I just returned from a four-night stay there and can happily say that it was a great experience. We were initially greeted by Matt at reception, who was extremely pleasant and helpful. We asked for a room away from the nightclub (I heeded a warning by another reviewer) and got a room by the pool at the back of the hotel.

The hotel is very big -- there are several buildings. There's no doubt the buildings themselves (and the lobby) could use some updating, but the room (while small) was nicely decorated with a fridge and microwave -- and it was spotless. The bed was clean and comfortable and the AC worked well. However, the Wi-Fi in the room was a little spotty at times. And unfortunately, I do agree with another reviewer that the walls are a bit thin. It didn't really affect us b/c we only heard our neighbors toward the end of our stay.

The grounds have quite a bit to offer. There are two pools -- indoor and outdoor -- that are very nice and well kept. There's also a huge picnic area with grills that would be ideal for families or large groups. There's also a mini-golf course attached to the property.

There's an indoor pub (didn't hear great things about the food but it's good for a drink or two) and a nightclub (with mechanical bull and all) connected to the hotel, with an adjacent patio bar. The patio bar is huge -- with a large indoor section and wraparound deck area with plenty of seating, canopied areas and individual fire pits (my favorite part). They serve cocktails until 2am.

If you're looking to go to Hershey Park (our purpose for the visit), you can purchase discount tickets at the front desk. Hershey Park is roughly 25-30 mins away from the Park Inn, so keep that in mind if you are looking for something closer.

Also, the road on which the Park Inn is located is filled with every kind of store and restaurant imaginable (gas stations, fast food, Kmart, diners, Dunkin Donuts, etc.) We didn't get a chance to try any of the restaurants in the area (except for diners), but I know yelp has a good listing of places to try in Mechanicsburg.

So overall, here's my take on the the Park Inn: It's not the most beautiful, modern place you've ever seen, but it's certainly nice enough -- and it's very clean. The staff is exceptional and you have pretty much everything you could ever need in close proximity. Well worth the trip.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early or just want peace and quiet, ask for a room away from nightclub.
2  Thank MBear24

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This Park Inn was chosen as it was conveniently located to where I was on business. Initially, I did not expect it be any more than just a basic small place to meet basic needs. Though I have some fond memories of past stays and even have a Gold Points card with Radisson, this was the first time I’d heard of the Park Inn line of properties.

I was surprised to find out just how large it was and how much it had to offer. It was formerly a Holiday Inn, but larger than most I have stayed over many years of traveling through the USA. This property had many amenities. There are meeting rooms, such as you’d find in large downtown hotels, indoor and outdoor pools, and a patio for private parties, such as wedding events, and adjoining restaurants and bars.

Attached to the lobby is Legends, a sports bar and restaurant. They were having a Bourbon event which caught my attention and I did drop in later to sample the “good stuff” being offered. This is also where the hot breakfast included in my room arrangement was served. Further past Legends was Buckwilds, which I did not visit

Across the road you will find Carrabba’s, TGI Friday’s, Bob Evans, Dunkin’ Donuts and several smaller restaurants in a nearby strip mall, so you will not have far to go for a quality meal.

The staff at Park Inn was great and very professional. Of particular note was the helpfulness of Tony, working the “check-in” shift and David who never seemed to leave his post at the front desk. The other staff members were also very friendly. I’m starting to like this town.

The room was the standard design of the old Holiday Inn Motels, which I remember from the family vacations of my distant youth. All rooms open out to a sidewalk in front of the parked vehicles or a balcony walkway on the upper floors. The bathroom was located in the rear of the room.

My assigned room had two beds, but I only needed and used one. The one I selected was far softer than I prefer, but that is personal choice. There was free Internet. I plugged in, but I think WiFi was also available. The room was clean and comfortable and I got a good night’s sleep.

Due to its location to where I may need to return for business and the good restaurants in the local area, I will be tempted to stay at this Park Inn on another trip to Mechanicsburg.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WA2world

I appreciate the reivew on tripadvisor.com. Feedback is how we learn and grow to serve our guests.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

The best part of the property is the 22 acres surrounding it, where one can walk around the entire area and it is close to a mile. I walked in the early morning and enjoyed the nature and fresh air.
We had a handicapped room by choice and it was equipped correctly. The maintenance of the room was an issue. We reported to housekeeping that the sink was stopped up. They never came to fix it. There was a light bulb out over the sink and it was never replaced. Also, I spilled toothpaste in the sink and it was not cleaned off. We were at an event that took place at the hotel..

Room Tip: We were very close to where the events took place, because it was a handicapped room. Some rooms wer...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had my wedding and reception at the Park Inn and they were wonderful. The rooms were nice and clean. The only thing I didn't like was that the walls in the room were so thin that I could hear everthing going on in the next room. I had trouble sleeping after my long day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review. I enjoyed reading it.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Room, ok, but....several items missing had to call lobby several times. First night up till 4 AM with BIKER'S right near our room starting their Harley's right outside our door. 2nd night not much better. Also parked right there, had to walk clear across the lot while their bikes roared there in front of our door. Many hotel staff saw them, considering there is a cleaning station right at the corner of that building section. So much for sleep! Also ice machine they claim JUST broke , bartender told us was broken for ages. Did tell us the gas station down the highway sold ice! And the people out front of the lobby smoking,some convention, a smoker's convention I guess, that was good too! Sarcasm!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
mccordd, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize the your stay was less than satisfactory. Please contact me at the hotel to resolve. Have a great day!