“An average hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“An average hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

An average hotel. I've stayed at nicer ones in the same price range. Large selection of food items for a so-so breakfast. Exercise "equipment" is 2 treadmills in a non-air conditioned room with no windows. Location is close to HWY 15 but not much else. If you do stay, check out Cafe Magnolia for a great meal. They are less than a mile down the road.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank J G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Okay, time to blow the whistle on one of the worst hotel blunders I've experienced.

Took my two (6 & 7 year old) sons to Hershey Park on Saturday. We reserved a room at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Harrisburg West. We requested a two-queen bed room and were told it was unlikely, but to ask at the desk. Okay, got to the desk and checked in ... the boys are hungry, squirmy, sugared up from a day at Hershey Park (fabulous, as always - LOVE us some Hershey!) and I'm not focusing on details at that point. I'm focusing on getting into the room and getting some dinner into the boys so they can get some sleep before the big judo tourney, tomorrow.

The hotel staff mistakenly gave us the wrong room - "Oh, two queens beds" I think at 9:00 when I finally get the boys to sleep, "they must have taken pity on me, being on my own with two small boys" No, not really.

At 10 pm I get a call from the front desk and the woman apologizes and tells me I have to move because they gave me the wrong room. I ask her if she's a parent and if she has ever tried to settle and get two small boys to sleep. No answer on that one. I politely decline. She goes on to reiterate 6 times ... "You signed the wrong name sheet, you must change your room. That room was promised to someone else" "Sorry, but that's not my mistake, it was the hotel's mistake and I cannot move, now."

Ten minutes later she's banging on my door. (No, she isn't a parent and probably didn't babysit, either.) She gives me the same line and I reply as I did earlier. She is insistent and getting perturbed. I am unyielding but polite.

Finally they sent the woman who made the mistake to the door to have me switch the room reservation paperwork and she acknowledged that we would not have to switch rooms and again apologized for the mistake.

Apparently the mistake I made was in my choice of hotel. Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Harrisburg West will not be seeing us, in future and we plan to visit Hershey Park as often as we can. It's only 2 hours away and a great value. FYI - caveat emptor - buyer beware.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank BfordLewis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The room was nice and clean. The person that check us in was great. The luggage cart was falling apart and not safe so if you have little ones don't let them push. Fingers and hands will get pinched, voice of Experience....
The breakfast was not good. Eggs were fake and tasted and look it. The cereal and break was stale.
Stick the the oatmeal...

• Stayed July 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I travel a lot and love Country Inn hotels, this one is average but not great as most are. When checking in the young lady was helpful and quick. The room she gave me had a noisy refig and she offered to change my room, instead she exchanged the unit since i had already unpacked. Very good customer service!

The reason I only give an average is the breakfast. The room is small for the business they are doing, as least on the weekend when I was there. The coffee is located in a hard to access spot behind all the tables. The food also was not appetizing, they had no fresh fruit when I was there and the yogurt was being served from a large group container with a communal spoon, would never have eaten from that!! Looked so unsanitary with the container open.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I travel every week on business, and I needed to stay in the Mechanicsburg area to see a supplier. I have stayed with this chain before and they are very consistent with their quality from location to location. This hotel was no different: the room was clean, everything worked (lights, TV, remote, etc.), the staff was friendly, etc.
I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is probably the third or fourth time staying at this hotel. Check in was fast, with counter person very nice. Room was good, clean and comfortable for what time we were there. Breakfast is included, but breakfast room is small and usually crowded, so we just pass eating there. About 20 miles or so from Carlisle and the Fairgrounds.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Salem, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Booked via hotels.com as a place to crash for my young family of 6 as we made our way back home from Charlotte to Upstate NY. Paid $107 for a double queen suite. The hotel gets a "poor" rating from me for the following reasons:
- Smell of the suite: the room was designated "smoke free" but must have been a smoker's room in year's past. There was a stale, used-to-be smoked in smell throughout the suite.
- Sofa/sleeper in suite area: the cushions were worn to the point of having small tears. When opened up as a sleeper, the mattress was so thin we could feel every spring. It was clear that the sheets on it hadn't been changed recently.
- Bathroom - at multiple seems, the wallpaper was peeling in the shower area. Curled right up. The metal frame of the bathroom door had areas of rust on it.
- Service - only when we checked in around 8pm was service given with a smile. The next morning all staff that we interacted with (checkout, breakfast) were cold, not even willing to make conversation.
We were satisfied with the queen beds, the shower head and the breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We will address the smell of smoke and peeling wallpaper ,and bad service directly with the hotel. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care