“Incredible food, but problems with reservations”
Review of Bangkok Wok

Bangkok Wok
Ranked #13 of 192 Restaurants in Mechanicsburg
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: INCEPTION 1990 ...CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA MAGAZINE AWARD BEST THAI 22 YEARS .................HARRISBURG MAGAZINE AWARD SIMPLY THE BEST THAI 17 YEARS ...............PATRIOT NEWS AWARD BEST ASIAN CUISINE
Reviewed February 13, 2013

So, on a fairly typical Friday evening my wife and I, joined by a couple of friends, decided to go out to eat. We don't go out as often as we should, so every time we do - we decide to try a new place.

Unfortunately, our city's restaurant capacity seems to be lacking as of late, because it's nearly impossible to get into any restaurant on a Friday evening/weekend without a reservation. So, after checking a couple of places with lines going out the door, we called The Bangkok Wok and were told that they have tables for four, no wait, took our name and said "see you in 15 minutes!"

I have no idea what happened in the next 15 minutes, but according to the same story from the 20-odd people that basically arrived at the restaurant's doors at the same time, they were told the same thing. All had given their names for reservations, too. The waiting area was tiny, so people were basically packed like sardines waiting to be seated.

Well, enough of the negative. Let's focus on the positive, shall we?

This is a "BYOB", or bring your own bottle of alcohol, restaurant - which is great, considering how much money you save by bringing your own.

The place is family owned, and they proudly display their family pictures in the hallway across from restrooms. This really adds to the authenticity factor of this place, which we really liked. The restaurant itself is located on a mini-shopping plaza, next door to the nail salon, videogame shop and TJ Maxx. Nothing glamorous. The first thing you'll notice when you walk in is a huge aquarium with real plants and exotic fish. AWESOME.

Restrooms are tiny and.... well, they are there. So what. They were clean that night, so that's really all we cared about. I can't quite recall this, but I don't think these restrooms are handicap accessible.

It's a little bit tight in there, and decor was "eclectic", but we didn't care - the place smelled like we were in for a delightful experience of Asian cuisine.

The food is simply amazing. I'm not going to list every single thing we had tried that night, that would make this a very lengthy review. Though their menu is extensive, everything we tried tasted excellent and did not resemble microwave food, which so many chains are guilty of serving at premium prices. Though things like egg rolls may have been pre-made, they seemed to have been made from scratch.

To start, the ladies at our table picked several starters for all of us to share. Things arrived in separate plates, with three different sauces for dipping. Everything tasted awesome, was hot and fresh.

For entree I ordered duck, which is my weakness. Their duck did not disappoint! It was crispy, juicy, and not just some bits and pieces, but a true breast of a duck. I believe mine was served with noodles, with all appropriate Asian sauces and fixings. I love the way their chef uses a variety of nuts, subtly adding to the flavor of cuisine. Mine and my friend's spouses ordered vegetable stir fry, prepared with a variety of usual authentic veggies/sauces, they absolutely loved it. Everybody had compliments to say about the use of nuts in food.

There were several choices of desserts, which I don't normally pay attention to. I can tell you though, I ordered tea - and that was the best, spiced tea I've ever tried I think.

So, the good news - your own booze and high quality grub make this place fantastic. Prices are excellent as well. The four of us got completely stuffed, all for $90 plus tip.

The bad news - on a busy night you might wait about 30 minutes before you are seated, especially if your reservation is not properly reserved. People with nut allergies probably should avoid this place at all costs.

Bottom line - give this one a try!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great service and excellent food. It is a gem in a strip mall that could easily go unnoticed. However it is well known the locals and recommended by most people who like to try different foods.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife, three kids (ages 5, 3, and 1) visited for the first time today.

We loved the fish tank, and the beautiful fish kept our kids happy, quiet, and occupied. The outside of the restaurant is a bit gross with the lights all burned out and the astro turf on the sidewalk. The bathroom is also gross. One toilet, and badly in need of an upgrade.

It isn't easy walking through the place. Space is tight and a bit uncomfortable. The staff is very friendly and welcoming!

The staff do NOT speak English very well, so communicating with them is definitely difficult. In our visit, this ended up being a major problem, as I will explain shortly.

My wife ordered a vegetable egg roll and I ordered a pork egg roll. They brought out my wife's, which she says was good, but didn't bring out mine. I had to ask for it again, and only got it after all of the other food had been served. It was not good. Mushy, flavorless pork. A disappointment.

My kids ordered the pineapple fried rice with chicken. They liked it, and since I was starving from not getting my egg roll, I liked it too. In all honestly, it was just OK. Nothing special.

My wife had the pepper steak, medium spicy. It was very spicy, but she was glad she ordered it. She enjoyed it very much. I ordered the curry peanut with chicken, medium spicy. It was not good. It was basically chicken and mixed vegetables drowned in a watery peanut-butter sauce. I did not enjoy it at all, and wished I had ordered something else.

Near the end of the meal my son needed a potty break. Before taking him back I told the staff who were just arriving at the table to just leave what was left of my pork egg roll because I wanted to finish it. As disappointing as it was, I was hungry! When I returned to the table they had thrown it away! DARN IT! I was angry about that, but didn't mention it to the staff. I wanted to go home.

The bill...oh my gosh...was over $55! For three dishes and two appetizers, $55! With the $10 tip our bill was over $65! I'm sorry, but that was a complete rip off considering the quality of the food and our overall experience.

We had been told that this place was one of the best Asian places in Harrisburg, and perhaps THE best. If that is the case, then Harrisburg is really deprived. We will not return to Bangkok Wok. No way, no how.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Very busy restaurant, food was very good. Would definitely come back again. You could bring your own bottle of wine - what a plus!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We have eaten hear many times and every time the food was amazing. The staff is great, service is quick and food is definitely the best Thai food in the area! I would highly recommend this to anyone!