“Great Thia food”

Bangkok Wok
Ranked #15 of 192 Restaurants in Mechanicsburg
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: INCEPTION 1990 ...CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA MAGAZINE AWARD BEST THAI 22 YEARS .................HARRISBURG MAGAZINE AWARD SIMPLY THE BEST THAI 17 YEARS ...............PATRIOT NEWS AWARD BEST ASIAN CUISINE
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great service and excellent food. It is a gem in a strip mall that could easily go unnoticed. However it is well known the locals and recommended by most people who like to try different foods.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife, three kids (ages 5, 3, and 1) visited for the first time today.

We loved the fish tank, and the beautiful fish kept our kids happy, quiet, and occupied. The outside of the restaurant is a bit gross with the lights all burned out and the astro turf on the sidewalk. The bathroom is also gross. One toilet, and badly in need of an upgrade.

It isn't easy walking through the place. Space is tight and a bit uncomfortable. The staff is very friendly and welcoming!

The staff do NOT speak English very well, so communicating with them is definitely difficult. In our visit, this ended up being a major problem, as I will explain shortly.

My wife ordered a vegetable egg roll and I ordered a pork egg roll. They brought out my wife's, which she says was good, but didn't bring out mine. I had to ask for it again, and only got it after all of the other food had been served. It was not good. Mushy, flavorless pork. A disappointment.

My kids ordered the pineapple fried rice with chicken. They liked it, and since I was starving from not getting my egg roll, I liked it too. In all honestly, it was just OK. Nothing special.

My wife had the pepper steak, medium spicy. It was very spicy, but she was glad she ordered it. She enjoyed it very much. I ordered the curry peanut with chicken, medium spicy. It was not good. It was basically chicken and mixed vegetables drowned in a watery peanut-butter sauce. I did not enjoy it at all, and wished I had ordered something else.

Near the end of the meal my son needed a potty break. Before taking him back I told the staff who were just arriving at the table to just leave what was left of my pork egg roll because I wanted to finish it. As disappointing as it was, I was hungry! When I returned to the table they had thrown it away! DARN IT! I was angry about that, but didn't mention it to the staff. I wanted to go home.

The bill...oh my gosh...was over $55! For three dishes and two appetizers, $55! With the $10 tip our bill was over $65! I'm sorry, but that was a complete rip off considering the quality of the food and our overall experience.

We had been told that this place was one of the best Asian places in Harrisburg, and perhaps THE best. If that is the case, then Harrisburg is really deprived. We will not return to Bangkok Wok. No way, no how.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Very busy restaurant, food was very good. Would definitely come back again. You could bring your own bottle of wine - what a plus!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We have eaten hear many times and every time the food was amazing. The staff is great, service is quick and food is definitely the best Thai food in the area! I would highly recommend this to anyone!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Not your usual strip mall thai restaurant. the decor is very good, and the food even better. I highly recommend the fried rice with crab -- lots of crab!!