“Best experience if you're ready for it”
Review of Hellenic Kouzina

Hellenic Kouzina
Ranked #1 of 192 Restaurants in Mechanicsburg
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are open Tuesday-Saturday serving lunch and dinner. We are closed the following national and Orthodox Christian holidays: New Years Day-January 7 Orthodox Christmas Day-Orthodox Christian Holy Week (varies in early Spring)-July 4-1st Week of August-Week of western Christmas. Please check our Facebook page and or our website for updates. We are a BYOB fast/casual restaurant with an emphasis on freshly prepared to order Greek food. You'll order at a point of sale (POS) and from there make your way to a table indoors/outdoors (depending on season). Staff will then take care of anything else you may need at the table including serving your meals. During peak hours you'll be seated by one of our staff. From there you will be served your meals at the table by one of our staff, they'll refill your drinks accordingly, provide you with your wine glasses and/or frosted beer mugs. There are no fees for bringing your own wine or beer to drink. You may order additional items from any one of our staff working the floor or you are welcome to return to the POS at your leisure to order anything else you would like. Your visit can be as "formal" or "informal" as you would like it to be.
Reviewed May 16, 2013

As the reviews all state, this place serves fresh, delicious Greek food. The staff is friendly. The dining room is loud. It is a wonderful place . . . and it's even better if you know what you're getting into.

First, look for a street parking spot instead of banking on one in the small parking lot. The street is so close that it's almost faster than squeezing into a spot in the lot.

Second, read the specials on the chalkboard as you come in the door. They're not posted around the corner. Also note that the person taking your order will scratch off numbers on a piece of paper if you do order a special since they have limited quantities. This isn't Cracker Barrel.

Third, be prepared to recite your order. Feel free to ask questions, but also be aware that there might be 20 people behind you waiting in line. Don't forget to order dessert since you don't want to get back in line later. Also, they'll give you cups for tap water, so don't feel pressured to buy the bottled water.

Fourth, take the pager and head for a table. Grab silverware rolled in napkins across from the cash register. If you need more chairs, ask adjacent tables for extras. When the pager goes off, look for a staff member who will be looking for you. Wave them over, hand them the pager, and then they'll start bringing out your food as it is ready.

Fifth, clean up your table when you're finished. Put paper in the garbage slot and everything else in the bussing bins. They'll clean up if you leave everything, but it's common courtesy to clear your own table.

I'd like to hear what others think about whether a tip should be added with the credit card payment or left at the table. It's great service and food, but it's counter service. I'm assuming a tip is unnecessary, but I'd like to hear what other people do.

1  Thank TDYguy

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have eaten at this restaurant several times and it is always excellent Greek food. It is casual, you order and then sit down and the food is served. This works well since it is always very busy. It is BYOB. The service is good. Great value.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We all drove an hour to get there and it was well worth it. There's really no Greek food in our town, and for my birthday, that's what I was craving. I found the Hellenic Kuzina website online and knew it was going to be a great time. They did not disappoint. The staff is competent, friendly, and has everything working like a well oiled machine. What a great crew! The seating is informal and somewhat limited, but our wait was not long. Our party of eight chose quite a few things from the menu and everything came out from the kitchen fresh, generously portioned, piping hot or nicely chilled. The restaurant is BYOB; they supplied wine glasses. My husband ordered a Lamb Shank and it was out of this world. This is the first Birthday I had where everyone in the building, customers, patrons, cooks, wait staff, sang to me as my cake was delivered to the table! It was an over the moon fun night. My only regret: so many wonderful menu items to choose from, so little room in the tummy! We will be back!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have visited Greece a number of times and enjoyed their cusine. In Camp Hill, I attended yearly the Greek Festival Weekend at the Greek Orthodox Church and enjoyed their homemade offerings as well. But what the area lacked was a great Greek restaurant where one could could for lunch or dinner on a regular basis. The advent of Hellenic Kouzina ended that. Every item I ordered rivaled what I enjoyed in Greece and the Greek Festival. Name the menu item, and you will find excellence -- lamb, gyros, baklava, baklava cheesecake, baklava ice cream ... Try it, you will return again and again.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Visiting Mechanicsburg, PA from London. Get on Trip Advisor, as you do, to find a good restaurant in the area and Hellenic Kouzina pops up as #1...good enough for me. Well, thank you everyone who has reviewed before me. This was a terrific Greek meal. No wait, this was a terrific meal full stop.

You order at the counter (your food is then delivered to your table) and bring your own bottle if you want alcohol. The restaurant is light and bright, the service cheerful, but it's the food that really blows you away. The lamb is tender and delicious, the sweet potatoe fries are great! This is the kind of food that is worth every single calorie. In fact, it could have twice the calories and it would still be worth it.

I am here for another two weeks and I intend to go back as often as I can.