“Basic but attractive and clean, no problems”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Harrisburg West
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I had been slightly nervous based on the mixed reviews so I reached out to the hotel property via their Facebook page and received some reassurance from one of the employees that everything was in order. They are in the finishing stages of a renovation/expansion but there was no evidence of a construction project (noise, smells, debris) so I think it is mostly done.

Our room was basic but spacious enough and had everything you would expect in an Express brand property. The breakfast was sufficient and everything was stocked and fresh. I saw no evidence of bugs or any of the other things other people complained about, and the few people we interacted with were friendly and professional.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShiftyNJ
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Harrisburg West

Reviewed April 10, 2011

AKA holinday inn express
STAY AWAY_ POOR SERVICE_POOR MANAGEMENT BUGS
Rewards night Holiday Inn would not reimburse.Attempted to stay in 4 different rooms, DIRTY ROOMS-BUGS DEAD AND ALIVE. Wound up staying at nearby Spinghill Suites SPOTLESS ROOM.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Overall very nice place to stay. Very low price for rooms, staff attentive to guesta and nice continental breakfast in the morning. Great place to stay just off the turnpike.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank seventhsister
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This is a fairly new hotel. The hotel was very nice and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were large with a microwave and a mini fridge. The bathroom was rather small but fairly normal for a hotel. The room and bathroom appeared to be nice and clean. The room had a LCD TV, 26 inch I think. My only (minor) complaint here was no sleep mode on the remote. I liked the H/AC unit with a digital thermostat even though it was a tad noisy. The bed was comfy and the room was quiet. A little off the highway so no traffic noise and I didn't hear anybody in the other rooms or hallway. So far a 5 star rating. If I happen to see a bug in the room I figure things like that can happen. I killed the first stink bug I saw, then the next morning I saw two more. Since I was leaving that morning so I notified the front desk. She said they have been working with an exterminator to solve the problem but they keep coming back. I feel the hotel is trying to solve the problem an it isn't a cleanliness issue, but I can't do better than 3 stars with that being an issue. I put down that I would recommend to a friend, but I would explain the issue I had and hopefully they will solve the problem.

The indoor pool seemed nice, and the fitness room was a little larger than the normal hotel with maybe an extra treadmill or two. They have a parking garage but it appeared to be just for the handicapped. I parked outside. The breakfast a little above average for a free breakfast. Sausage, eggs, pastries, cereal, toast, fruit, and waffles. A second minor complaint was the orange juice seemed watered down. Maybe it was just an off-brand. But the breakfast room was a good size, plenty of tables, and clean.

I also used the high speed internet. It worked great.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank WxProphet
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This is a newer property, very clean, nicely appointed but nothing fancy. It is a typical business hotel, functional without anything extra. It is located in an industrial/technology park area. Check in was easy, less than 2 minutes, they had the paperwork and keys all ready and I just signed and they handed them to me. I needed a change of bed type and they accommodated me without hesitation. The suites are pseudo-suites, there is a small, perhaps two foot wide, ceiling to floor wall separating the living area (pull out couch) from the sleeping area. One television, refrigerator and microwave in the room. Room was large enough to move around in, bathroom roomy and very clean. Overall the room and hotel were spotless, still looks quite new. Continental breakfast was poorer than others I have had; you can make your own waffles, they were good, eggs and sausage left something to be desired. They as well had breads and cereals, typical fare.

One thing I found interesting. They provide underground heated parking, which I only found by mistake. There is an overhead door beneath the hotel leading to the indoor parking; you just use your room card to open the door for your car. No one at check in told me about this, and it isn't terribly obvious that underground parking is available. Had I not stumbled across it I never would have known. Had I known about it Friday night it would have saved me from scraping my windshield on Saturday morning.

This hotel is a very typical business hotel, staff was friendly and helpful, and it was clean and met my needs. They do have an exercise room and indoor pool, neither of which did I utilize, but they looked nice. It is very easy to access the hotel from Route 81, however it is not close to any restaurants or shopping, there is nothing within walking distance.

I would definitely stay there again. It was very quiet, met my needs and cost less than $100 per night.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank prance
Reviewed April 30, 2010

My wife an I stayed here during the first week after this hotel opened. The service, room and location were GREAT!!!!! Usually there are a couple of issues with a new property, but this could not have been a better experience. So good of an experience, we stayed with them again in October of 2009 for another trip to the area and we were not disappointed with the experience.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pavisit
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Staff are very courteous, place in nice and clean. Staff are always friendly and willing to help. Place always is very clean and presentable. I would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business