“We Found a True 'National Treasure" In Our Own Backyard” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kanaga House - A Bed and Breakfast

Kanaga House - A Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mechanicsburg
Kanaga House - A Bed and Breakfast
You added Kanaga House - A Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Pennsylvania
“We Found a True 'National Treasure" In Our Own Backyard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

When planning a one night get away for my wife and I to celebrate our sixth wedding anniversary I found myself looking for something near the Harrisburg Metro Area (so not to be far awary from our 4 year old at home). Yet some place that we would want to get some RR. Kanaga House near Carlisle in Cumberland County fit the bill and more. The estate itself is a true national treasure in the mid state dating back to before the Revolution. The house itself is phenomenal. The decor is period and extremely elegant. The reburbishments have been done in keeping with the home's orginal appeal. For hitory buffs such as myself or for people such as my wife who just enjoy touring beautiful homes, I reccomend checking out the "bird cage" bar that has been assembled in the home's center hall tavern room. Primarily made of re-claimed wood it is impossible to tell what is original and what has been restored/re-built. The Inn Keeper and House Chef Dave Kretzing and his Mother Mary Jane are delightful. Mary Jane treated my wife and I to a tour of the house and run down of the hisory and its occupants. Over a fantastic "real breakfast" with a fruit course, Mary Jane shared her vast knowledge of antique furniture and sterling plated flatware. A true passion of both my wife and I. Mary Jane was able to name and date our own silver service at home sight unseen and give us instructions for caring for it. It trulely went above and beyond and speaks volumes about the character of the family proprietors of the Kanaga House. We were fortunate enough to stay in the Bridal Garden Room complete with wet bar and on suite bath. The room and the entire Inn are cared for and maintained empectably. If looking for a weekend getaway to Historic South Central PA or planning a trip to the State's Capitol, I reccomend that you do not miss the experience of staying at the Kanaga House Bed and Breakfast.

• Liked — Charm, Decor, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Duration of stay was too short
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Staten Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

When we decided to take a last-minute trip to Hershey with our two children, we were disappointed that we were not able to find lodging in the immediate area. It was our good fortune to stumble upon Kanaga House! The friendly innkeepers welcomed us and our two boys with open arms. Not only were we able to visit Hershey Park, a short drive away, but we found ourselves similarly situated to Gettysburg. My husband was thrilled! The B&B itself is rich in history, which Mary, the innkeeper, was very knowledgeable of and happy to share with us over the hearty breakfast she and her husband served each morning. Our family enjoyed our short stay and will keep this B&B in mind for future visits to the area.

• Stayed August 2006
      Location
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank TinaJWag
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

Nice place to stay, our room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was good (hearty, plain meals). A lot of character in the house. We stayed in the Dr. George Junkin room which has a four queen post bed and a twin trundle bed for an additional guest. We enjoyed our brief stay.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2005

I had stayed at Kanaga House several times and loved it! It was clean, comfortable, and the inn-keeper was a delight with a good sense of humor. When I returned in the fall of 2004, I learned that now her son is running the place. He's a real personable guy and a great cook for breakfast, but things are really getting run down -- not clean, worn out carpeting, and the shower came out in a single stream -- we thought the shower head had been removed....but the innkeeper explained that it was just a water-saving devise. I'm sorry, but I would never go back.

4 Thank lrfolino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mechanicsburg
Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg SW-Mechanicsburg
Hampton Inn Carlisle
Hampton Inn Carlisle
#1 of 27 in Carlisle
4.5 of 5 stars 558 reviews

Been to Kanaga House - A Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!