“Usually a fan, but not this time.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I usually love this hotel, but i haven't been here in 3 years. Now that I've come back, I noticed they need a renovation. Some rooms have been renovated and others have not. We are a Hilton HHonors Gold member and they stuck us in a non-renovated room. The kitchen was very old and outdated and the lighting was ugly and bright. I was expecting much more when I returned and all I got was a dissapointment. The check-in was smooth and the lobby and lodge were very nice looking. I was very surprised that the breakfast was bad. The place was mobbed and the eggs looked like they were freeze-dried or came from powder. And the breakfast wasn't "hearty" it was "fattening." They had donuts and munchkins and too much junk that I got sick looking at it. The pool looked nice as usual and so did the courtyard. Overall, it was a dissapointment.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank robbythetraveler
Keith K, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2016

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I'm sorry we weren't able to exceed your expectation. We will certainly used your feedback as a way to improve. We have fully renovated our hotel in 2015 and Homewood has revamped it's breakfast offers to align with a more healthier focus. I hope you can experience our improvements in the near future.

Keith Komon

Reviewed August 9, 2007

Great place to stay. Spotless. Very friendly staff.
We spent several nights in one of the suites at the back end which is a new addition. Our suite had a fireplace, jacuzzi, double vanity, shower with 4 extra nozzles, attractive decor.

Extra touches: Hershey's chocolate bars and kisses in the room, bottled water, crystal ice bucket.

The air conditioning cooled the bedroom well, but not the sitting room/kitchen area. Note: the temp outside was 99 to 100 and very humid. We called the fdront desk. Within a few minutes the maintenance manager and an assistant arrived. Provided an in-room portablle AC that did the trick.

The free breakfasts included name-brand indivudual boxes of cereal. The coffe is great and always available in the lobby.

Suppers include draft beer!

2  Thank SuperPicky
Keith K, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2016

Reviewed July 25, 2007

I just returned from a three night stay at this hotel. I do like the Homewood chain. If you haven't stayed in one before, try it out.

This hotel was perfectly fine. It is in a relatively remote location. It about 100 yards from the exit off Rt 15 - close enough so it isn't an issue reaching it, but no noise. It is located in a big industrial park, surrounded by factories and other suburban work buildings. There was a lot of traffic at the beginning and ends of the workday. That isn't a problem, but don't expect many amenities nearby. However, there were malls and other shopping within a 10 minute drive down Rt. 15.

They offer a very good free daily breakfast buffett with hot items, from waffles, bread and bagels to toast, to cereal boxes, to hot items (although these were not that great - the eggs tasted powdered and the big item was breakfast burritto which really looked like an eggroll. I didn't see anyone eat one.) They also offer a light meal on weekday evenings - I enjoyed a taco bar. It was very tasty. They have staff monitor the spread so it stays clean and you have help.

The wireless internet worked great in my room and lobby. It was free.

The room was very clean. I had my own temp control and was able to get it pretty cold (which I like). The bedroom in the suite had a ceiling fan. The decor is a bit dated in the room - cheapo pictures of boring landscapes and lots of dull grey/pine wood in the rest of the room. The TVs were a bit on the weak side - they look about 15 years old and did not have clear projection.

The pool looked great (I didn't use it). It was in the middle of an outside patio, surrounded by lots of tables with umbrellas. I hung out a bit in the morning here. It had nice landscaping and was a very quiet, pleasant and relaxing place.

All in all, it was a perflectly fine little chain hotel, with a nice staff and clean rooms and lots of extra amenities from the chain.

Stayed: July 2007

Reviewed July 21, 2007

My wife was on business and had to stay for 2 weeks. This is a wonderful, safe hotel with 1st class service and friendliness.
Everything is home-like, attractive, clean, and welcoming. When I came to visit her over the weekend I didn't want to come home!!
Near (by car) restaurants, shopping. Lovely people staff who answer the phone practically on the 1st ring every time. Bravo to Homewood Suites.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed June 28, 2007

I used tripadvisor to narrow the field for a hotel to stay at for our family vacation to HersheyPark. We have two kids, ages 3 and 4, and they had the time of their life at the hotel and the park. A+ vacation.

Based on the fact that this hotel is considered the #1 Homewood Suites in the US, I was expecting a little more. The hotel was still decent, but just a few things didn't live up to the hype.

First, the bad:

The carpets were dirty. Most hotels this is the case to some extent, but our kids ran around the suite in their socks (or bare feet) and within 15 minutes they were black. We made them wear shoes in the room (as did we) the rest of the trip.

The pillows were too big. I think they may have been new or something, but neither my wife nor I could sleep on them. They were easily over a foot thick. Try laying down with your head on a stack of pillows a foot thick. You can't possibly get comfortable. We called the front desk, but no "thin" pillow were available. We ended up using folded towels as our pillows.

The sheets and blankets were not that nice. Again, not expecting the top of the line luxury here, but both the sheets and blankets had a rough feel and did not make for the most comfortable bed.

The king bed was overly firm. When tossing my kids onto the bed for a little roughhouse time, they actually said the bed hurt! That never happens at home.

The kitchen sink disposal was not functioning in the room. I am surprised the staff doesn't check this out between check ins at the hotel.

Now, the good:

We ate at the hotel breakfast every morning. There was ample seating, and the lobby and pool seating areas are nice. The food offering was modest but decent for a hotel breakfast buffet, and everyone had a good meal to start the day. No belgian waffle maker, though.

Our room was quiet and we never heard other guests. This was expecially good since we had the little guys going to sleep around 9pm.

The area of the hotel is quiet and seems to be safe. There were plenty of restarants within 10 minutes. (Applebees, Red Robin, Outback, Starbucks, Panera Bread, Olive Garden, etc.)

Note for HersheyPark visitors:

If you are choosing this hotel to stay at for a visit to Hershey, the drive is about 20-30 minutes. It's a little longer than I thought it would be. Even at 10-11am in the morning, some of the roads you take to get to the park have heavy traffic.

Overall, I still would consider staying here again, but I would consider other hotels. There might be some of better/equal quality for a better price.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I'm sorry we weren't able to exceed your expectation. We will certainly use your feedback as a way to improve.

Keith Komon

Reviewed June 15, 2007

We just got back from a 2 day stay at the Homewood Suites West. I can
not say enough positive things about the place. The staff were very nice. Upon arriving on a Thursday, there was a light dinner free of charge being served. Served every night M-Thurs. along with a free hot breakfast every morning and newspaper by your door. Very good. The hotel makes you feel so welcomed and at home with the fireplaces always on to the plantation shutters on the large windows and beautiful fresh flowers all over. The outdoor pool was heated too. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was large and very comfortable. The master bedroom had a king bed and master bath, the other room had 2 double beds and their own bath as well seperated by a living room with a sofa bed and living area with a full kitchen and comfy easy chair. The place was immaculate, beds were very comfortable and plenty of towels and extra pillows. Shower pressure and shower head were wonderful. Every night at 8:30 they put out fresh baked cookies.
Oh, and the light dinner offers free wine and cold beer on tap if you are into that along with big vats of lemonade and ice tea. Two bedroom suite was 199.00 pl tx. a night and was about 20-25 minutes from Hershey, but well worth the trip.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed March 5, 2007

I stayed at the Homewood Suites for two weeks while training with my company in Mechanicsburg, PA. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. Besides a lovely, spacious suite, there were Hershey's kisses beside the bed every night, a fireplace that lighted on the touch of a switch, full breakfast and dinner included in the price of the room, all of the amenities of home, and a cheerful staff that was always ready to help. The bed was the most comfortable on which I have ever slept. To top it off, there were hot home-baked cookies every night at 8:30. I'm sure that we got a company rate, but even at full price, it would have been a real deal. I fully reccommend this hotel.

Stayed: February 2007

Thank you for your review of your stay as your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mechanicsburg
Hampton Inn by Hilton Harrisburg West
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West
Wingate by Wyndham Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg West
Homewood Suites Harrisburg East-Hershey Area

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area? Share your experiences!