When we booked this hotel online we were amazed by the low price, the locations claim to close proximity to restaurants, Hershey and other attractions. We reserved a suite with a separate dinning room, king size bed, full living room and large jacuzzi bathroom with a double sink and a second bathroom for $139 a night.
We called the hotel early on the morning that we were set to arrive to see about an early check-in and was told that was no problem and the room that we reserved was all set for us. We arrived at 11 am and found out that our room was not ready and would not be ready for at least another four hours.
When we finally got into our hotel room we were stunned to realize that the room we'd reserved was not the one they gave us. There was not jetted tub, no separate living room, second bathroom or dinning room. All the furniture was old, scratchy and uncomfortable. The bed was lumpy, the pillows disgusting and thin and the comforter engulfed in a weird material that did nothing to cover the smell. When we called to find out why we were giving a different room we were told that they oversold those rooms and that when you reserve a room, you're only requesting the room. There is no guarantee that the room will be yours. We were charged the same amount.
The old bait and switch.
We looked into a different hotel only to discover that all the hotels were sold out and we were indeed stuck at the hotel. The stay was horrible. We found five different types of bugs in the room. The maid ignored out request to the hotel not disturb us and also the sign we left on the door. She came in, went through our things, opened the curtains so that anyone walking by could see our things, shut off the air conditioner and made it so that we could not turn it back on, threw some of our things away. When we called up to complain to the front desk, we got a basic apology and promised to make sure that the maid service would stay out. They banged on our door every day of our stay and walked in on us twice.
They did not leave us fresh towels, toilet paper, cups, etc. We had to go to the front desk to get those things. The temperature of our room got above 80 degrees. We kept contacting the front desk to no avail. Finally we walked down to the desk and demanded some help. They came and fixed it, showing us that the thermostat had a trick to it that not even they understood. It took 12 hours for the room to cool off.
The meals that they promised were horrible, cereal dried out and bitter, fruit rotten. My son ended up running to the bathroom and become sick after trying to eat the fruit salad. The dinners were just as bad. The only thing decent from their meal was the fruit juice.
There is nothing close to buy drinks, snacks, etc. The hotel has an overpriced store with a very limited selection. The nearest grocery store is ten minutes away by highway. There is not a good selection of restaurants around as promised by the website. it is also quite a drive to the nearest attraction.
When we were leaving, a day early because we just couldn't take one more day, I called the front desk and told them that we would be checking out in 30 minutes and to please not cancel our key cards until then so we could get all our stuff. Five minutes later we were locked out of the hotel with some of our things still in our room. We were so aggravated by that point that we just left.
The hotel called us a few days later to find out what to do with our stuff. I explained what happened and the hotel was only too happy to send us our things back, at our expense.
This hotel is outdated, poor service, misleading information and dishonest practices. I would not stay here again. Two of my business associates stayed there as well and had similar experiences.
Not a good place for a relaxing stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our all-suite, extended stay hotel is only seven miles from downtown Harrisburg, PA with easy access to the Pennsylvania Turnpike I-76. Enjoy being only 15 minutes from Harrisburg Amtrak and 25 minutes from Harrisburg International (MDT) Airport. Choose a one-bedroom, or two-bedroom, suite with sofa bed for extra sleeping space. Or, upgrade to a suite with a cozy fireplace or relaxing whirlpool tub for an extra calming stay. Our suites also include full kitchens (with a twin-burner stove, microwave oven, coffeemaker, dishwasher and dining table). Each suite also comes with two LCD TVs. Guests who stay at our hotel enjoy our complimentary WiFi, free, full breakfast, business center, 24-Hr Pavilion Pantry Market, complimentary beverage area, basketball court, Pro-Core Certified Fitness Center, outdoor swimming pool and billiards table.Traveling for business? Join us Monday- Thursday evening for our evening socials, beer and wine are included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites Harrisburg West Hotel Mechanicsburg
- Homewood Suites Mechanicsburg
- Homewood Mechanicsburg
- Mechanicsburg Homewood Suites