“Excellent food”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Delicious dinner, husband and I both got seafood pasta, his was spicy mine savory. Son got a rueben. All were good. Will be back nex time we are in Meadville. Wish they offered more wines by the glass.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We went for dinner and were surprised by the ambiance considering the location. The Holiday Inn gave us a 10% discount so we figured why not check the place out. We felt like were in a big city. All the staff were friendly and made us feel welcomed. I ordered the chicken Parmesan with soup. The Italian soup was amazing. This was my first time trying this. My son loved his ceasar salad. He said it was best he had ever eaten. That's very impressive for a 13 y.o. and considering we are from CA. where fancy restaurants are a dime a dozen. Some meals are big enough for two. Ask you server. Since I loved the Italian soup so much, I ordered a to go order for my older son. Looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

It would be a winner if the vegetables were fresh and if the food tasted good.

The brocoli was spoiled. The dessert was bad. The coffee was terrible. The chicken tasted like plastic.

The waitress was fantastic - the only light in this pit.

To be avoided.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I'm not going to point out that typical road-trip restaurant review caveat that this was a good dining experience "for a small city" like Meadville. Chovy's is simply a very good restaurant period! Both the food and the service were very good.

We went there on a Sunday night and it was very quiet. The restaurant closes at 9 p.m. on Sundays and we snuck in just after 8:15 p.m. We thought we might get that "oh great, late diners" attitude from the staff but there was none of that at all. Everyone was very pleasant and worked as if it were the beginning of their shifts, not the end.

The restaurant is big but cozy made up of several areas and dining spaces that are all warmly decorated. I could imagine it could become quite noisy in there when it was full, but it was nearly empty when we were seated. This was perfectly fine for us since we had just spent the day dealing with crowds and noise at the Grove City outlet stores (30 minutes to the south).

We're always leery of Italian restaurants on the road. We figure they often serve dinners with portions far too large, slathered in cheese, and far too oily and salty. Fortunately, that's not the case at Chovy's. After serving us some warm, fresh, home-baked bread and typical salads, we quickly received our mains. Both my Chovy's Pasta (grilled chicken with fettucine alfredo) and my girlfriend's spaghetti and meatballs were a manageable size. Better still, the food was tasty, well-seasoned without being salty, and showed a good control of ingredients (ie.not covered in cheese and garlic).

The price was very reasonable for the quality and portion-sizes of the food. Our bill was $26. I had the three-course meal deal which was a starter (salad), a selection of a main dish, and a dessert (a very refreshing tiramisu).

We're planning more shopping trips to Grove City and would very likely include another visit to Chovy's to try out more dishes from their extensive menu. Well done!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Definitely worth visiting if you are in the Meadville area. Delicious food, pleasant atmosphere and great service.