“It creeps me out”

Grace Asian Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 77 Restaurants in Meadville
Cuisines: Asian
Description: This restaurant recently opened with new owners - it used to be called something like "Number One Buffet" (or something like that). This place blew my socks off in terms of the food, service and price!!!
Meadville, PA
“It creeps me out”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I'm sorry to have to say that this place does not impress me as being overly clean. The silverware is frequently greasy and crusty. The bathrooms are bordering on gross. The shrimp I have ordered a couple of times was not de-veined. I am not fond of having to devein my own shrimp, nor will I eat shrimp poop. The flavors are ok, especially the mango sauce. My husband loves this place, but he is a big fan of Chinese buffets, which also gross me out. Maybe I am just too picky. I had high hopes for this place, but it is not living up to them. I agree with the reviewer that says it used to be very busy but is almost empty most of the time now. I don't anticipate ever going there again.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank julibeth

Meadville, PA
“Good for take out!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The atmosphere isn't the greatest. That's why I always order take out. The meals are good and the prices are good as well. the pint size of meals are $5.00-$5.75. I take home 3 or 4 and we have enough for two people for a dinner and lunch the next day. Very good service.

• Visited February 2013
PA
“Nice Try”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This restaurant makes a nice try at authentic Thai food for a small town. But hardly anyone is there when we go which is disappointing. I love their green curry dishes, though.

Visited May 2012
Meadville, Pennsylvania
“Best Asian food in Meadville”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

10 of us went to Grace Asian last night for dinner. While the atmosphere isn't upscale by any means, each and every one of our appetizers & meals were excellent! Not one complaint! We did have to ask for chopsticks,but I can only assume that most people in Meadville probably don't use them & won't even try, so they quit bringing them automatically. The prices are unbelievable also & it's BYOB! We go out to eat a lot & are used to barely escaping without our bill being under $100. The total for My husband & I, with apps & two main entrees was roughly around $20! We will definitely frequent this place more often.

• Visited January 2013
Nicholasville, Kentucky
“Downgrading my previous review...”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

There's something about restaurants that open well in the Meadville area and then slide into mediocrity. In fact, the only restaurant that has remained consistent would be Julian's.

During my visit to Meadville last week, I stopped Grace Asian Meadville restaurant for lunch with a friend on two occasions. The first visit was on a Friday at 11:30 am. While this restaurant opens at 11:00 am, it looked closed. We entered the door and found the air stuffy and the lights off. As we walked in, they turned the lights on. We had to ask them to turn on their fans and/or A/C, which they did.

The older woman who ran this restaurant in the beginning was nowhere to be found. We were the only ones in the restaurant until around noon, when a few other customers came straggling in. Meantime, the younger woman who was "running" the restaurant seemed oblivious to the business at hand. One of her children - a boy about 10 - came to our table and asked if we wanted something to drink. He then disappeared into another room. When his mom came over to take our order, we reminded her that he had solicited our drinks and forgot to follow up. She wasn't much better.

I ordered the garlic chicken, which was still a good dish. A notable change during the lunch hour from my visit about 6 months ago was the silence. The last time I was there for lunch service, the phone was ringing off the hook for take-out orders. It wasn't just the lack of take-out orders this time, but there were also hardly any customers at all.

On the second visit, we arrived at 3:02 PM and they wouldn't offer the lunch menu - the dinner menu starts at 3:00 PM. While we were the ONLY customers in the restaurant, we were NOT impressed by the Communist Party attitude. Chinese restaurants get away with this sort of nonsense in New York (where they came from) and Washington, D.C., but they need all the business they can get in Meadville if they want to survive. I got the clear impression that they just don't care.

This time I ordered something called the Thai Crispy chicken. Obviously, their Thai chef had not arrived for the dinner service, for which we were now paying a premium in the empty restaurant. What arrived at our table was a poor Chinese rendition that looked exactly like General Tso's chicken, but with a weird sauce. There was nothing resembling a plate described as a Thai "crispy chicken". I ate some of this greasy breaded chicken and just took the rest home (and threw away after getting sick hours later).

The interior of the restaurant definitely needs some work. It is approaching a "hole in the wall" status, given the lack of attention to lighting and the increasingly tacky "decor".

Before leaving, I asked the younger woman (the daughter of the owner, I believe) how their business was doing. Her answer was "so so".

How depressing.